Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Hawks?

• 2. Lachie Cowan

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • 3. Jesse Motlop

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 4. Ollie Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 6. Zac Williams

• 7. Matthew Kennedy

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • 8. Lachie Fogarty

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 9. Patrick Cripps

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • 10. Harry McKay

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 11. Mitch McGovern

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 13. Blake Acres

Votes: 41 25.6%
  • 17. Brodie Kemp

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 18. Sam Walsh

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 20. Elijah Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 21. Jack Martin (subbed out a quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 23. Jacob Weitering

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • 24. Nic Newman

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • 27. Marc Pittonet

• 29. George Hewett

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 30. Charlie Curnow

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 37. Jordan Boyd

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • 39. Alex Cincotta (subbed on at quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 42. Adam Saad

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 44. Matt Owies

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching your VFL yesterday I’m wondering why the same players keep going through a revolving door of ins and outs. Does Voss not trust playing a kid occasionally?

It’s the Goodwin model of coaching. Play the experienced players until they breakdown and then, because you have no choice, play a kid.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A novel concept, blame the supporters.

Let’s see how that plays out.
Can't blame them for the result obviously, you expect the players to perform even in an empty stadium.

But its something I noticed early in the game and pissed me off. Just another aspect on the day I thought we "lost", among many.

Last edited by a moderator:
There can be no excuses, this is an indictment on the coach, on the players, on the culture. Players like Walsh have actually become zero footballers. I swear I even forget he plays for our team.

Whatever has happened since quarter time against GWS is something inexplicable. But having said that, there is one area that we have been absolutely horrific in all year and in a manner that is inexplicable is our ball movement.

It is impossible that we have zero system. It relies purely on Cripps or TDK winning the ball and to break a line to get the ball clear. We have zero clearance method. We have no idea how to get a pattern going for the quick one, two, three overlap and run. We are appealing trying to move the ball out of our defence. We have zero, absolutely zero patterns in moving the ball down the ground. Relies on individual brilliance for it to happen.

We are appalling creating patterns inside 50.

Was an article a few weeks ago in how does a team with so many top line players play such a primitive brand of footy, contest or bust

To all those who say speed of hand and skill is what matters not foot speed what do you think now?

Teams know we're slow and run us off our feet. It's no secret, we've been slow for years, but have done nothing about it. Our contest work was good enough to make up for it but it was always a weakness and exposed by the best teams.

For a month or 2 now our contest work has been Cripps or bust. It might win Patty a deserved 2nd Brownlow, but as a team it's made us fall off the face of the earth.

I guess we have to play some youth next week…

Although knowing our Match Comittee we will play Young at half forward instead of blooding Lemmey and somehow Binns/Lord won’t get a look in
Sack the ****ing match committee. All those shiny bums need to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was fine

Boyd had two pressure acts and 0’s in every other statistic because of his injury

Our defence had to cover a runner as a result, all the while having the one rotation to work with

Saad wasn’t penetrating but he was OK
And we can’t cover both Kemp & McGovern as true defenders. Mitch lacks fortitude, polar opposite of his bro.

There are many factors to consider for us falling off a cliff, but I think the main single factor is they completely butchered the fitness program pre season.

Combine that with too many injury prone players, the starts won’t align for this group again like they did back half of last year.

Revamp of fitness regime, getting rid of half a dozen permanently injured players, and focus on recruiting for our needs (pace pace and more pace, and a decent key back to help Weiters) and see how we go next season.
I doubt that makes a difference. When your system is just brute force it whilst over working role players by demanding they run a marathon every game you'll never get anywhere.

The structures, game plan and mc decisions are worse than what Teague dished up. Teague lost the players because he's a ****ing gronk but there was an overly attacking system. It wasn't balanced, it was negligent in its favour of offense but the stoppages and out there was some system. Under Bolton there was some system. Both those two dealt with and had too many off field issues that they either couldn't handle or they caused. Voss seems to be the exact opposite. Keeps everything off field happy (probably not anymore) and then is a ****ing moron with all decisions related to Gameday.

Selections - fail
Match ups - fail
Stoppage setup/system - huge fail
Defensive intent - fail
Transition system - fail
Reliance on superstars - only thing he does.

Constant reliance on the ****ing Messiah is the only thing this club has done my whole entire lifetime.

Its embarrassingly dogshit and I've liquidated companies that were run better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dockers have gws away and then port at home

We win two they drop one, and possibly both, we are in

Season is not done
We ain't getting anywherw near either West Coast or St Kilda.

They are shot, confidence completely gone, mentally checked out. Was so apparent watching live.

As I said in another thread, that falls on Austin.
Also called this result in last week's pre game thread but I was out by 2 goals, I thought it would be a 10 goal loss.

Back to Austin, does he have the balls to trade out a player that will get us a top 10 pick?
I doubt it but we'll see.
Correct.

Committed to campo boys and neither fill an immediate need.

Good for sentiment and we take them, but he needs to get clever to fill needs.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

I just cant put my finger on what happened after the first quarter of the GWS loss, it’s like all the single players were caught having an orgy with all the taken players partners at quarter time!

We went from premiership winning football to bottom 4 football in the blink of an eye and have played one good quarter a game since.

Honestly the only teams I’d feel comfortable in beating at the moment is * and Bitchmond

What broke at Q time of that GWS game? Can it really be that team selection bringing in underdone Cerra and Cottrell and dropping Hewett would have this much of an impact? There was a positive switch last year after Q1 against Gold Coast and a negative switch after Q1 GWS. Just cannot make any sense of this
I've been in many clubs that have been successful and gone sour. As soon as you have players starting to think 'why the **** is he playing' or 'shouldnt he have to go through the twos?' you're cooked. Its a layer of doubt that festers. Feels pretty likely. Looks pretty likely with that 'effort' today and the last 7 weeks.

To all those who say speed of hand and skill is what matters not foot speed what do you think now?

Teams know we're slow and run us off our feet. It's no secret, we've been slow for years, but have done nothing about it. Our contest work was good enough to make up for it but it was always a weakness and exposed by the best teams.

For a month or 2 now our contest work has been Cripps or bust. It might win Patty a deserved 2nd Brownlow, but as a team it's made us fall off the face of the earth.
Spot ****ing on coops

There’s almost no way we make finals, and even if we somehow did, we’d just be making up the numbers.

So the question truly is, what now?
We don’t have players to cover our injuries even if we scrapped into the 8. Losing 5 of the last 6 games we’ve hit a brick wall.

All we can do is start preparing for next year. Start belatedly playing some younger players Lord, Bonn’s even Lemmey against WCE and Saints.

If we miss the 8, we’ll at least have a better first round pick. Probably better than getting blown out in a final.

This will finally be the circuit breaker to address some serious issues with our list that SOS left us with.

We need to remove Martin, Marchbank and Cuningham. We need to consider what role Williams can play.

We need to find a small forward who doesn’t go missing/only applies pressure.

We need speed in the middle - so big calls on midfielders.

Yes injury management needs to be looked at, but if we continue to pick up or persist with injury plaqued players the curse will continue.
Austin has had 5 years to fix it and done nothing, cowan about his only good pick at the draft to boot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Back