Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Hawks?

• 2. Lachie Cowan

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • 3. Jesse Motlop

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 4. Ollie Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 6. Zac Williams

• 7. Matthew Kennedy

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • 8. Lachie Fogarty

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 9. Patrick Cripps

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • 10. Harry McKay

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 11. Mitch McGovern

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 13. Blake Acres

Votes: 41 25.6%
  • 17. Brodie Kemp

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 18. Sam Walsh

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 20. Elijah Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 21. Jack Martin (subbed out a quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 23. Jacob Weitering

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • 24. Nic Newman

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • 27. Marc Pittonet

• 29. George Hewett

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 30. Charlie Curnow

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 37. Jordan Boyd

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • 39. Alex Cincotta (subbed on at quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 42. Adam Saad

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 44. Matt Owies

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s astonishing really. Since beating Geelong 8 weeks ago and being widely touted as a flag contender we’ve lost 5 of 7 games and the only 2 wins we’ve had were against Richmond and North. Even then the win against North was unconvincing.

Absolutely 100% shit the bed this season like I have never seen before. Todays game was the shit coloured cherry on top. The worst loss we’ve had under Voss IMHO. One team showed up with the mindset of wanting to play finals and the other turned up looking like they’re going through the motions looking forward to an end of season trip.

Frustrated for all supporters, after all the hard years this wasn’t what we expected.

Enough is being said about the players and performance.

So I want to put a bit of acid on the crowd, at least early on. I only heard most of the game on the radio but even when we were right in the game in the first quarter every time Hawthorn were in possession and going forward the crowd was roaring with every touch and clapping. When we did... Almost crickets. This, with supposedly a Blues majority crowd.

I think a lot of supporters are almost hesitant and nervous like the players are. Granted many of us are quite scarred over the past

That's not the impression I got. Voss pretty much wrote off the second half based on the injuries, and the first half he just said we got caught playing Hawthorns way.

That's very soft. That display today isn't an acceptable performance for a team who's "supposed" to be a Top 4 team.

You can be firm in how unacceptable the performance is without slamming the players. Unfortunately he reminds me of a politician, all nice empty words that go round and round in circles but never actually address anything.

I'm not a big fan of Mitchell but at least he expresses himself well when his team isnt performing. Which says something considering his team is exceeding expectations this year.
Obviously wasn't great today but in his & the teams defence players in the modern game especially mids have to get off for a rest .
49 interchange rotations for the game assuming roughly 35 at the half .
Means not too many breaks at all after half time.
Thats not sustainable they where clearly gassed after half time .

Heard similar last week I love Crippa like everyone else but please spare me the stronger together catch cry was good last year but sniffed out now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That’s the hierarchical spin filtering down. Has infiltrated into the playing group well and truly.
Where are our rogues who play it/tell it like it is?

Maybe I'm expecting too much but disappointing is losing but playing well. Disappointing is losing but giving our all. Neither of these things that occurred in this game.

To me there are more choice words to be used when discussing that loss. That was the easy answer. I mean he didn't even want to say he was fustrated with that loss. He specifically said he did not want to use words like frustration

Now I'm not on the bandwagon that he needs to be sacked. I think he has grown this year as a coach but this loss was definitely more than a disappointment and I think he should have reacted as such. It felt he used the easy cop out. I mean for goodness sake we went from 2nd to being out the 8 in 6 weeks and this was the telling game that kicked us out the game. Having some passion around losing like that would be understood/expected
Mate- it’s the word you use in a press conference.

Your’e either in with this club or you’re not.

I’ve been rusted on for over 50 years.

Nothings gunna change that.

They’ve given me some of the greatest memories of my life.

Been there, seen it, lived it.

What I can’t stand is gargoyles sitting in the wings, waiting for a loss.

We had a bad day, deal with it.

So, you either stick with us, or piss off.

You won’t be missed.

Do people want to see the players give up for the next two weeks?

No wonder we still have a losing culture when people have already waved a little white flag and it filters to the players.

Win the next two and we make finals. From there? Who knows, the competition is very even. Players need belief, not more doubt. Back the boys.

So, you either stick with us.

Or piss off.

You won’t be missed.

Well said.

We are a currently a good club - not a great club - but a good club striving to be great.

In moments like this, great clubs hold their nerve. Great clubs don't panic trying to appease overly emotional supporters for a quick fix.

We have 100,000 members and we have a good squad but with some gaps and some injury prone players.

Mitch Cleary just said on Ch7 we are 2nd on the table of games missed by players in our Best 22 (assume Richmond are first). I think you'll find the players have been banged up for weeks even months.

To our supporters suffering tonight - if we want a great club then we need to be 'great' supporters. I'm late-50's and these boys gave me possibly my greatest football moment winning that final against Melbourne.

Let's get behind them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You won’t be missed.
Onya Stig

Our form are that point of the GWS game was the best in the league.

It's unfathomable how it can just turn off like a tap.
Exactly, something is just not right. We had this “powerful” game that was overwhelming all comers and it just stopped in an instant. It’s a big challenge now for the leaders (on and off field) to turn it back around. Not sure I have the confidence that they can do so

Mate- it’s the word you use in a press conference.
Watch Longmires press conference from last week.

Opening statement is that it's "Unacceptable"

Is he berating his team, no, he is stating that for his team that is not an acceptable performance / standard. If that was said by Voss, I think he would have more people applauding him because he is not accepting mediocrity.

But that's just how I think. Words have meaning, and understating or overstating things does no one any good. People get fustrated because words like "disappointing" become token words that feel empty and repetitive

Not going to write the season off yet. Two more games to go, win both, we make it. And as it's been shown many times, form can turn on its head. Port were dumpster fires a few weeks ago, now they're in the top 4. Bulldogs one of the form teams in the comp, now they're getting thrashed.

Yes we copped some injuries but maybe some fresh legs will galvanize us again? Some of those players were cooked/needed a break... perhaps a fresh Charlie with TDK added in will make a world of difference for finals? Who knows.
Laugh react all you want guys... probably the same people who laughed last year after the * game.

But you know what... I'd rather try and dare to hope than wave a little white flag.

We can still make it.

Keep the

You won’t be missed.
is that you Vossy?

The way he does this is that he continues to let us forward press , which makes us the easiest team in the league to score against off a turnover - we have Saad and Newman, Gov who are supposed to be defenders pushing forward into our forward 50 - which is great when we have momentum and ply the goals, but not so great when that momentum slows.
Spot on. We press forward way too hard. We stack too many players in the centre-half forward line. (sometimes blocking our forwards to make a lead into space). Neglecting defense.

I've been in many clubs that have been successful and gone sour. As soon as you have players starting to think 'why the **** is he playing' or 'shouldnt he have to go through the twos?' you're cooked. It’s a layer of doubt that festers. Feels pretty likely. Looks pretty likely with that 'effort' today and the last 7 weeks
I've been in many clubs that have been successful and gone sour. As soon as you have players starting to think 'why the **** is he playing' or 'shouldnt he have to go through the twos?' you're cooked. Its a layer of doubt that festers. Feels pretty likely. Looks pretty likely with that 'effort' today and the last 7 weeks.
Thanks for that perspective. I was hoping (expecting) that with a professional club that this wouldn’t be the case. I’ve played individual sport all my life so I don’t fully understand the team mentality and finding the current rut really frustrating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Back