Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Hawks?

• 2. Lachie Cowan

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • 3. Jesse Motlop

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 4. Ollie Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 6. Zac Williams

• 7. Matthew Kennedy

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • 8. Lachie Fogarty

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 9. Patrick Cripps

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • 10. Harry McKay

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 11. Mitch McGovern

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 13. Blake Acres

Votes: 41 25.6%
  • 17. Brodie Kemp

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 18. Sam Walsh

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 20. Elijah Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 21. Jack Martin (subbed out a quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 23. Jacob Weitering

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • 24. Nic Newman

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • 27. Marc Pittonet

• 29. George Hewett

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 30. Charlie Curnow

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 37. Jordan Boyd

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • 39. Alex Cincotta (subbed on at quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 42. Adam Saad

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 44. Matt Owies

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

To all those who say speed of hand and skill is what matters not foot speed what do you think now?

Teams know we're slow and run us off our feet. It's no secret, we've been slow for years, but have done nothing about it. Our contest work was good enough to make up for it but it was always a weakness and exposed by the best teams.

For a month or 2 now our contest work has been Cripps or bust. It might win Patty a deserved 2nd Brownlow, but as a team it's made us fall off the face of the earth.

I was shocked the amount of times their half backs streamed forward to out number us when they had the ball…it was evident front the first bounce….thats why Motlop got early touches because they didn’t rate him at all and were happy for the ball to be in his hands if for some miracle we won the ball back

I didn’t have the best feel on this one coming in but my God it was evident from minute one that we have no run, are playing injured and sore players and they looked tired….high performance should be burnt to the ground and started again

We don’t have a dangerous third tall…nor a dangerous small forward…we don’t tackle and we don’t lock the ball in the front half because we are slow.

Love the post, however modern football is all about pressure. Speed allows you to close space and penerate quickly on turn over.

Our pressure is great, but we are are battered and so its dropped off and without speed we are vulnerable
The game plan is unsustainable over a full season.
The last two years have proven it, albeit last year the problem was the first half of the year.
The next man up crap has failed this year.
We could say that the injuries have affected that but that's a cop out because we still had injuries in the second half of last year.

So many posts from last week from all of us on here are now ringing as true as church bells.
We need speed and skill in the midfield, a quality CHB, and a 3rd tall up forward.
I really hope that JSOS returns next year but at the same time I have doubts about his speed for the modern game.
I'd like to see Kemp moved to the wing if we can get another defender.
Not a back up, someone who is best 18.
I'd also like to see us target someone like Macrae from the Bulldogs so that we can move Hewitt to hbf.
Moving Hewitt back would also allow Boyd to be used upfield. Any concerns over lack of defensive speed could be lessened with an emphasis on 2 way midfield running, and better ball use.
Kennedy should also be used as a 3rd marking tall forward if we can't get someone in.
We have most of the pieces, we just aren't using enough people in their best positions.

I think it is only just sinking in how much of a disaster that game was.

Seeing the Bulldogs lose (badly) to Adelaide... that was the path to a top 4 spot.

That's it, really. Win today, and we just needed to take care of business against West Coast and St Kilda to finish top 4 (with Bulldogs losing and Freo/Port/GWS all playing each other so likely to share a loss each). 4th spot would mean at least one shot against a reeling Sydney with a grand final on the line... it nothing else getting back to where we did last year.

Instead, we lost, and by so much and so badly that we gave up a 10% buffer over the Hawks and dropped below them into 9th. We lost at least 5, if not 7 players to injury for the year. Morale seems completely shot - the press conferences from Voss and Cripps seemed just utterly devoid of hope. I'd estimate 80% of Carlton supporters left the game by 3/4 time.

The last game I remember having this big a swing was the 2001 semi-final where Kouta did his knee, and the realisation kicked in that the team a) was aging, and not really competitive with the best even WITH Kouta, and b) Kouta would miss the entire next 12 months. We went from 'hey, we're on a hot winning streak and next week we'll be playing a prelim against a team we beat by 74 points a couple of months ago...' to, well... everything that followed in 2002.

Maybe it'll clear with daylight, but sheesh that was about as bad as it gets, right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, I have no idea how you can even think that makes any sense.

So you’d be happy to make the 8 and paper over the major cracks we have in our list and most probably bow out first final and then have the mindset well we finished in the 8 so that’s ok.

No thanks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Care to explain? He’s the least of our problems.
I’ll pipe in. Elijah’s is lazy and laconic, Ollie isn’t lazy and is full of heart but isn’t physically up to it (atm). If we could get them into the fly teleporter machine and merge the two we’d have a pretty good footballer.

So you’d be happy to make the 8 and paper over the major cracks we have in our list and most probably bow out first final and then have the mindset well we finished in the 8 so that’s ok.

No thanks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I want us to finish as high as we possibly can, it's kinda the point of competing......I don't understand any supporter who wants to see us lose even one game, sorry, it's a crappy mindset.

I want us to finish as high as we possibly can, it's kinda the point of competing......I don't understand any supporter who wants to see us lose even one game, sorry, it's a crappy mindset.
I’d like us to make it at the very least for more experience in finals for some of the players

29 years as a member. I’m in Tas so I don’t pay the big bucks like a lot of people, but I also would be lucky to make it to one game very two years.

So my membership is purely because I want to be part of this great club. I’ve dragged my wife and kids into it and no doubt we’ll all sign up again next year but I think this is the most disappointed I can remember feeling.

Just shattered. I’ve worked very hard on myself to not let the negativity football affect my real world too much over the past few years. These past 6 weeks have completely broken that.

Just when we thinks things are going well, they suddenly aren’t. I enjoy coming here and reading everyone’s thoughts as it helps me to know I’m not alone with these feelings.

I know there’s going to be questions on Voss as coach, but we have to stick with him don’t we? We can’t put Crippa through another coach sacking. Just don’t know how to move passed this right now.
Same boat, from Central Australia only get to 1 game a year if lucky. I say to my wife and kids every Xmas just get my membership for me. This Xmas might ask for something else. Been a supporter for over 40 years, promised my wife last week I wouldn’t let Carlton Football Club rule my emotions😵‍💫.

I’d like us to make it at the very least for more experience in finals for some of the players
This is also important, we are still young in terms of finals experience, it's not a case of premiership or bust. It can take years of competing in finals before achieving the ultimate success.

Call me crazybut I didn’t mind Voss’s presser

Didn’t shit on the players outright but said a few things that raised an eyebrow with me

I think behind closed doors it would be a different story
We did get all the bingo items crossed off.

Threw Russell under the bus without clearly articulating as such.

Has had a lot of practice the last few years with the same presser, just spin differently.

In summary “we’re not the finished product”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Back