Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Hawks?

• 2. Lachie Cowan

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • 3. Jesse Motlop

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 4. Ollie Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 6. Zac Williams

• 7. Matthew Kennedy

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • 8. Lachie Fogarty

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 9. Patrick Cripps

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • 10. Harry McKay

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 11. Mitch McGovern

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 13. Blake Acres

Votes: 41 25.6%
  • 17. Brodie Kemp

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 18. Sam Walsh

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 20. Elijah Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 21. Jack Martin (subbed out a quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 23. Jacob Weitering

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • 24. Nic Newman

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • 27. Marc Pittonet

• 29. George Hewett

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 30. Charlie Curnow

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 37. Jordan Boyd

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • 39. Alex Cincotta (subbed on at quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 42. Adam Saad

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 44. Matt Owies

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty clear the brand of footy that succeeds at the moment is pace, quick slingshot ball movement and skill. We're deficient in 2 of those - maybe even all 3 - and unless we have a super healthy list that is settled, our gameplan is ripe for dismantling pretty easily.

Not an easy fix either. I doubt this list can play any other way and why we have no real 'plan B'.
The quick fix is to have TDK back in the team … the longer term fix is to address the lack of pace in the midfield and up forward and find a capable ruck partner for TDK who can compete and offer something around the ground when TDK is not available …

Good footy IQ, skill and speed if possibile have always been the pinnacle benchmark.
These attributes have always been part of our great game, however very few players are blessed with them all.
We need to find tune recruiting and shore up coaching fast. We need more finesse in these areas. No more deferring and deliberating.

They've got a clear identity with how they play. It's not dissimilar to Pies last year with just rebounding & spreading with pressure on the ball carrier. The nickname showtime hawks is apt because they look as confident as Hollywood movie stars when streaming forward. You flick them on the TV every week or so and you see they're playing the same way and it's ingrained in you as an observer that that is the way they move the ball.

We have no identity, we never have under Voss- actually scratch that, we've never had it with this group. Bolton was overly defensive but we never nailed it, Teague was all out attack and we couldn't nail that either. We've had stints with Voss where we are dead set bullies in the midfield and bashed teams & won from there, but at no point have we had an identity with how we play, or even want to play.
Yeah bit of truth in this. We win on brute force and superstars, not much system. Looks great when we're dominating clearances and clunking contested marks but there's no plan B, its not sustainable.

Vossy in his presser said:

"Not ideal, but at the same time, we will find out a bit about us in the next couple of weeks. It is a bit of a blow, the way the day has panned out, but there is an opportunity sitting right in front of us and you don't wish those away. We're in a spot and we're going to see it out as best we can."

I think we've been finding out a bit about the team for the past one-two months and we've had several opportunities in the past six weeks but failed the major ones. Yes, we are plagued with injuries (bad luck or poor conditioning?) The record shows we continue to be unable to stand up when it counts/in pressure games.
Yes I think we've already "found out" lol

But ahh, what can he say. No coach in the league is going to get up there and say we're an utter rabble currently are they.

Hawthorn isn't a fast side, but they are prepared to run and create (our biggest issue), they don't all go into the same contest and allow the opposition easy exists with outside players (our 2nd biggest issue), they structure up forward with space for each other to move and lead up, they know how to defend 1v1 and they pressure the ball carriers.
We did none of that!

Speed, killed on the overlap (running theme) and appalling skills by hand and foot. The amount of facepalm moments watching our shonky delivery inside 50 and not picking the right target was perplexing. The TV did not show just how many times the hawks players got loose and were unmanned. Also they registered a score every second time going inside 50. It was a similar mauling to the Sydney but made worse given how good the conditions were yesterday

Lies, damned lies and statistics. I don't care how much 'high speed running' he did if he did not effect the game, and he didn't
It's all just BS stats. Nil effect as a footballer.
Never did I imply that he was effective yesterday

Just a statement with respect to the load that was burdened to our players as a result of injuries

Ffs He's 19 yo isn't he?
Gives his heart and soul each week. Hasn't been given a rest.
I hope you end up eating your words.
Yeah agree, 19, slight build and in his 2nd season so looks underwhelming and outmatched at times in contests... because he is, understandably so.

Few more pre-seasons in the gym and I reckon he'll be right, runs bloody hard and I think tries hard despite how it looks sometimes.

Hawthorn play intelligently, hard and tough football, it’s infectious and exciting and great to watch. One can only admire Sam Mitchell’s ability as a coach and motivator. He’s synchronized with his young players and has earned their dedication and respect. No small feat, his team will go on to do very well.

Yeah agree, 19, slight build and in his 2nd season so looks underwhelming and outmatched at times in contests... because he is, understandably so.

Few more pre-seasons in the gym and I reckon he'll be right, runs bloody hard and I think tries hard despite how it looks sometimes.
He and his brother are both fierce competitors and Elijah has been a revelation for us at HF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, you really don’t get it do you?

We have plenty of players with speed - such as Watson (no one is faster than him) and Weddle and a few others.
But it’s not really the speed of the players but the speed of the ball movement through the corridor.
You guys were like rabbits caught in the headlights today. You couldn’t cope with the speed of run and carry.
No, it's you who doesn't get it.

You just made my point.

Off you go....

He and his brother are both fierce competitors and Elijah has been a revelation for us at HF
Not convinced about Ollie at this stage but i think Elijah offers us something for the future. Not quick but has displayed poise under pressure and is generally a good user. Needs to get stronger, super fit and work with Crippa's sprint coach.
He's well placed to be a solid addition to our midfield.

I feel like taking a leaf out of the Hawthorn supporters book. Don't invest or turn up until you're winning..but I won't.

we all go thru that.. this week is the first time ive had tickets and thought CBF rushing / juggling around the kids sports etc to get to game. so thought take it easy and watch it on tv.. glad i didnt go..

Not sure if ill go to saints game, feeling a little burnt out ( and un appreciated)

My worry is, looking at his body type, I'm not sure he is really going to beef up much with more gym work.

It's why I want him off HB. Let him run straight and see the game infront of him.

I look at how names like NDaicos Sheezel McKercher have been developed. Start at HB, learn the game, adjust to speed etc and then move
Those three are all good by foot - one major flaw for holland is his kicking execution. I haven't seen it change from last year to this - he kicks to many hanging floaters -- I only went to one game live this year against Richmond and when I close my eyes I still see him floating that ball to Saad and nearly getting him killed ..

We needed another marking forward after Martin went off, Silvagni would've helped but surely Moir gets a game next week whether he's ready or not and surely we go for a McMahon type in the draft and remember stronger together.

My worry is, looking at his body type, I'm not sure he is really going to beef up much with more gym work.
Kade Simpson never got 'big' but he turned out alright.

That's what we have to hope Ollie can turn into.

Carlton is a team that scares people - not the opposition but it's supporters who wonder what inept, pathetic effort they will put in this week - we are a laughing stock of the comp - a lot of a passengers on the Blues Bus - feel sorry for Cripps, Walsh , Weitering and a few others who have a go - show some mongrel and fight Blues for God's Sake !!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Back