Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Hawks?

• 2. Lachie Cowan

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • 3. Jesse Motlop

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 4. Ollie Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 6. Zac Williams

• 7. Matthew Kennedy

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • 8. Lachie Fogarty

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 9. Patrick Cripps

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • 10. Harry McKay

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 11. Mitch McGovern

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 13. Blake Acres

Votes: 41 25.6%
  • 17. Brodie Kemp

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 18. Sam Walsh

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 20. Elijah Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 21. Jack Martin (subbed out a quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 23. Jacob Weitering

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • 24. Nic Newman

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • 27. Marc Pittonet

• 29. George Hewett

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 30. Charlie Curnow

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 37. Jordan Boyd

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • 39. Alex Cincotta (subbed on at quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 42. Adam Saad

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 44. Matt Owies

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the first half this morning. All I could get through

TV doesn't show how bad it was live. Doesn't show lack of effort, players walking, not helping each other and Hawks players all over the ground running past Carlton players who didn't seem to care.

This has been building for a while. I can't remember being so disappointed in an effort

Something is not right. I don't know what it is but there is little effort and players don't seem to care. We seem reactive and lack confidence. And this is when finals and possible Top 4 are on the line

Hit Nail On Head

Hit Nail On Head

I think when a gameplan is so easily sliced open like ours was yesterday (for a variety of reasons) it would be difficult to keep up your focus and intensity. I don't think it would have mattered much what we did yesterday...we were never in the hunt.

When our plan A is exposed, there is no plan B. And not sure why people keep asking for one...I don't think this group is capable of another style.

TV doesn't show how bad it was live. Doesn't show lack of effort, players walking, not helping each other and Hawks players all over the ground running past Carlton players who didn't seem to care.

This has been building for a while. I can't remember being so disappointed in an effort

Something is not right. I don't know what it is but there is little effort and players don't seem to care. We seem reactive and lack confidence. And this is when finals and possible Top 4 are on the line

Hey Soap,

Time for some reality checks!

At an event/dinner last night. Discussion with Assistant coach from current top 8 side. Carlton style/game plan unsustainable for the whole season.
They were aware that many were shot by the bye round (Charlie has been injured for much longer than is being let on). Stop him and you win, they do not rate any of our smalls other than Martin( if he plays). Walsh is in trouble, ditto Cerra.
Russell was pushed.
Cripps unstoppable.
Ollie not rated as he can’t kick (expects that to be a talking point for list management).
Need to find/buy another tall defender, get a 30 year old if necessary.
Need to take a risk during trade week.
Campos not the answer but stuck recruiting them.
Back to injuries, it’s unsustainable to play the ‘high energy, close the space’ game week after week for 4 qtrs. We can’t kick very well so we can’t play the possession game, opposition know this and exploit it.

Can you find out what's behind the complete turnaround from GWS game on Soapy V ?

Hey Soap,

At an event/dinner last night. Discussion with Assistant coach from current top 8 side. Carlton style/game plan unsustainable for the whole season.
They were aware that many were shot by the bye round (Charlie has been injured for much longer than is being let on). Stop him and you win, they do not rate any of our smalls other than Martin( if he plays). Walsh is in trouble, ditto Cerra.
Russell was pushed.
Cripps unstoppable.
Ollie not rated as he can’t kick (expects that to be a talking point for list management).
Back to injuries, it’s unsustainable to play the ‘high energy, close the space’ game week after week for 4 qtrs. We can’t kick very well so we can’t play the possession game, opposition know this and exploit it.
that's what im concerned about, hopefully ben falls into the 3rd round somehow and we can focus elsewhere maybe pick up lucas in the rookie draft best case scenario.

Hey Soap,

Russell was pushed.
Cripps unstoppable.
This really worries me. You're right in that we seem to be committed to it but I just don't think that's how we should be looking at things.

The question is why has it come to this? They self reviewed last year worked out they could cover their flaws if they worked hard for each other and apply pressure on the ball carrier and even improved their ability to cut sides up on the rebound for the majority of this season it was all heading towards a shot at a grand final until 1/4 time vs GWS.

Did they drink their own bath water and forget what got them there in the 1st place or is there something deeper going on that's caused this.

Full review into all departments has to be launched ASAP.

The question is why has it come to this? They self reviewed last year worked out they could cover their flaws if they worked hard for each other and apply pressure on the ball carrier and even improved their ability to cut sides up on the rebound for the majority of this season it was all heading towards a shot at a grand final until 1/4 time vs GWS.

Did they drink their own bath water and forget what got them there in the 1st place or is there something deeper going on that's caused this.

Always possible that we've just been worked out as well. Happened to Sydney. The longer a season goes, the more exposed the gameplan becomes and therefore, theoretically, the easier it becomes to try and nullify it.

Voss”s presser.. nah Russell made the decision. Nekminit many conversations some I’ll share some not… alluded to basically Russell seeing the writing on the wall and club needed to go in a new direction. Bus thrown under…

Few comments after driving back this morning.

We have to have got the fitness side of things wrong. We started poorly - smothered handballs, hacked kicks around corners to no-one (or them). Hawks just cleaner with everything and we were lucky to be with them at quarter time. Obviously injuries hurt after that, but we were off from the start in such a big game.

How does this happen when we have come off consecutive 8 day breaks? The 2 players who looked to be running well at the end (relative to their respective normal), were Cowan and Kennedy. One just had a week off and the other didn't play a full game last week as sub. The rest were shot to bits by the second quarter.

Did we prioritise the first half of the season due to the perceived tougher draw? Do we go too hard mid week at the expense of recovery? I'm FIIK the answer, but clearly the club believes Russell just isn't suiting our list. Pushed, shoved, nudged, doesn't really matter - something had to change.

No coach can oversee a competent gameplan when the opposition are running all over you. I don't understand how younger Hawk bodies can get to round 22 in significantly better shape than our seasoned, in-the-window group.

I listened to all of what you just said and feel your pain mate … what happened the last 6 weeks is called the Carlton coktease…they do it all the time and I never felt like I trusted this group because I’m still burnt from Collingwood 2022….love your videos , Insta etc so keep your chin in mate … atleast 1 person appreciates what you do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Soap,

Thanks for the post and feel vindicated as I've posted this several times - we are unable to sustain our game style for a whole game let alone a whole year. It's too taxing on virtually all the players except Cripps.

Some great reading and plenty of different views on the game.

What's happened since 6 weeks ago that has turned us around. Nothing. We have changed nothing to turn our game around, tactically, physically or mentally. We have become the hunted and our "game style" has been exposed. If someone has seen a change in our style, please share it.

• Kick outs from full back, hit the contest either side of the centre square in from the wing, if that doesn't work, short kick, hands then hit the contest on the wing? If that doesn't work revert back to step 1.
  • Centre square set up, no change since 6 weeks ago, keep doing what we are doing.
  • 1 hit up lead in forward 50
  • We allowed them to play their game, only once did we slow things down and control the ball in the 3rd quarter, (5 or so minutes) when we should have started in the 2nd once we had lost Martin and Fog as we were down on numbers
  • The holding the ball rule has worked against our midfield bulls who would stand in the tackles and deliver by hand, that has been taken off us, but we changed nothing.
  • Watched Hawthorn play a few weeks back live and saw their run and spread and how their back line will hit a target every time if there is no pressure, Cincotta should have been on Sicily from the start.
  • We are too nice to be a serious threat to AFL Finals
At one stage in the 2nd qtr a high kick was put to the flank which a Hawthorn player had to sit under, Weiters came running hard at him and basically pulled up on him and stopped him from playing on. The Hawthorn supporter next to me said, said something along the lines of. "he should have been flattened".
I looked at him and must have had a smirk on my face, he said, "You agree with me, don't you?"
I just said to him, "We are too nice, that's why teams like Hawthorn don't respect us"

They threw Williams to the ground outside the boundary after the siren at half time and we did nothing but watch, that small moment told them we had nothing, our fight was gone.

Our confidence is shot at this stage, we have to go back to basics, set simple tasks out on the field which can be achieved to try and build belief again. Tough to see us winning either of the next 2, but in saying that, maybe the injuries and forced changes will call for some creativity from the coaches group?

Hey Soap,

Russell was pushed.
Cripps unstoppable.
I agree, tip out the first rounder for Barass if necessary

Future 2nd for Liam Ryan

You’d expect West Coast would do that

Exactly. Had to walk away from the game yesterday with the exact same reaction.

Screw the new age, namby pamby reviews. The ink still hasn't dried on the last one.
They know what's wrong, so just make the hard, unpopular decisions and get the side going again.

Weitering won't play with Barass. That is his spot, hence why Young isn't playing. Just selfish footballers.
Young isn't playing because Weiters has to babysit him when he plays. I'm sure he would relish playing with someone who actually knows how to play in a system like Barrass.

Weitering won't play with Barass. That is his spot, hence why Young isn't playing. Just selfish footballers.
Young isn't playing because Weiters has to babysit him when he plays. I'm sure he would relish playing with someone who actually knows how to play in a system like Barrass.
Weitering is better suited playing as a KPD 1:1 who can anchor and float off when necessary - a true full back

Barass is better as a reliable, strong KPD who can wrestle with the gorillas

Both completely different, both guns

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Back