VFL 2024 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 2 - 21 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Only in the year you come out of contract, is my understanding.
Stengle was delisted by Adelaide in early 2021 and listed by Geelong before the draft later that year.
I think you'll find he was delisted from the Cows prior to the 2021 season, and played all of that year for Woodville-West Torrens in the SANFL.

He was signed as a free agent by Geelong prior to the ND after spending the year in the SANFL.

How is Dom Akuei travelling? Any chance he'll be good enough for Selection at AFL level any time soon?
Has struggled for 3 years in VFL very likely be in first 3 delisted end of year along with Alex Mirkov and Sam Durdin all rookies. Matt Carroll likely to be retain as missed most of year as a rookie. Jack Carroll, Matthew Owies. Jack Martin, Caleb Marchbank and David Cuningham yet to be sign. Carlton need to use 3 picks in draft need to delist minimum 4 seniors as they have extra player on list Cooper Lord who signed for 2024. I would think we use 4 picks although in draft possibly Alex Cincotta will be upgraded . Matthew Owies may take better offer if doesn't like his contract given. I like to keep Carroll and Martin.

Mirkov and Akuei both deserve e another year imho. Plenty of guys that have had their go can move on.

We do need to pick up McMahon in the draft coming up before someone else takes him. He would be perfect to replace JSOS while he’s getting his legs back under him in VFL next year. TDK 1st ruck and McMahon pinch hitting is handy also.
Mirkov maybe Akuei will likely be off the list and likely stay in VFL system and if good enough might get another go again. He really hasn't dominated in much games in 3 years in Mirkov case he has had a bit of a long injury in his 3 years.

I didn't see the game but I am glad to see the reports from those on here and the stats.

Moir has a lot of talent. Question has always been around fitness. Hopefully this is the beginning of something for him.

Mirkov I wrote off. He got a little bit of the ball. That's good. He must have dominated the ruck. I'm pretty sure Geelong are weak in regards to ruck. But if he is getting the ball that is something.

Lord. Considering how bad we are when it comes to pressure, tackling and contested work of late. We would have to consider him.

And a win! This is something we need more of in the seconds.

I didn't see the game but I am glad to see the reports from those on here and the stats.

Moir has a lot of talent. Question has always been around fitness. Hopefully this is the beginning of something for him.

Mirkov I wrote off. He got a little bit of the ball. That's good. He must have dominated the ruck. I'm pretty sure Geelong are weak in regards to ruck. But if he is getting the ball that is something.

Lord. Considering how bad we are when it comes to pressure, tackling and contested work of late. We would have to consider him.

And a win! This is something we need more of in the seconds.
My two cents: I hope Wilson, Lord and Moir get games in the seniors next year ... they do look good and AFL quality. I'm not so convinced about Binns but he could very well take that next step and join those three.

Cory Durdin, although very skilful, didn't get a lot of the ball and looks a little lost both as a forward and a mid. Would he benefit from being tried as a defender for a while (like Wilson) so he sees more of the ball?

Both Akuei and Lemmey still seem a long way off to me.

I know Akuei has been tried up forward before, but I would have preferred they persisted with him there (or another non-back position).

Lemmey, although he does look good at times and does good team things, I just don't see him ever becoming a key forward like McMahon. I know Lemmey is taller and 1 year 9 months younger, but McMahon I think will always be a better forward and mark. In fact, none of Lemmey, Mirkov, and Akuei are particularly good overhead which, I think, as talls they should be.

And, Mirkov, although he gets a lot of hit outs, I wouldn't mind finding out just what percentage actually benefit our mids and not the opposition's. Maybe he can improve that aspect of his game.

I’d be much more comfortable with McMahon as a rookie because we are already tight for senior spots if both Campos are likely to be taken in the national draft.
.....and Geelong select him at pick 72, because it's what they do.....and they do it better than anyone.

Don't **** around....if we want him, sign him up!!! 22yo, 200cm mobile goalkicking forwards don't grow on trees - and there'll be 17 other clubs sniffing around looking for a bargain.

.....and Geelong select him at pick 72, because it's what they do.....and they do it better than anyone.

Don't **** around....if we want him, sign him up!!! 22yo, 200cm mobile goalkicking forwards don't grow on trees - and there'll be 17 other clubs sniffing around looking for a bargain.
He's not that mobile. He really cashed in today, but there was nothing groundbreaking about his performance, and I'm not sure it works at AFL level.

Playing him at the top grade requires targeting him even more than we do Charlie, and he's not got the contested ability for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not that mobile. He really cashed in today, but there was nothing groundbreaking about his performance, and I'm not sure it works at AFL level.

Playing him at the top grade requires targeting him even more than we do Charlie, and he's not got the contested ability for it.
We not looking for a 50 goal a year forward just a better backup the Young for the next 5 years

Match report:-

GEELONG VFL 4.4 8.8 10.11 11.12 (78)
CARLTON RESERVES
3.0 6.1 10.3 16.5 (101)

GOALS
Carlton:
McMahon 7, Lefroy 3, Binns, Cahill, Durdin, Gill, Maher, Nelson

BEST
Carlton:
McMahon, Lord, Akuei, Maher, Mirkov, Lefroy

We not looking for a 50 goal a year forward just a better backup the Young for the next 5 years
Next year we're probably playing around with options like O'Keeffe, Lemmey, and Kemp.

I just want to see more about his game, especially once you look at his opponents, and how often Geelong mucked up their defensive structures to leave him one-out or getting Joe the Goose-type goals.

In the contested stakes he was still out-marked something like 3-5 despite the lack of quality.

Could we take McMahon NOW if Cunerrs or Marchy put on LTI list (or even delisted)?
No, mid-season draft has been and gone, that's the only mid-season mechanism at present.

CARLTON vs RICHMOND​

Sunday 18 August, 11:05am, IKON Park
Head-to-Head: Carlton 13-6-1; At IKON Park: Carlton 2-1; Streak: Richmond 1; Last Time: Richmond 16.9 (105) def Carlton 10.9 (69) – June 30, 2024, SC

CARLTON
B:
M. Lewis (58), D. Akuei (41), L. Young (55)
HB: B. Wilson (35), H. Ramshaw (51), R. Monahan (34)
C: A. Stevens (64), K. Ferronato (63), D. Hogg (70)
HF: J. Lefroy (79), L. Nelson (57), W. White (77)
F: N. Cahill (54), H. Lemmey (31), L. McMahon (52)
R: A. Mirkov (45), P. Dozzi (53), Z. Maher (50)
INT: T. Travaglia (75)8, M. Rudd (73), C. Verrell (71), H. Nosiara (69), H. Gill (62)
EMG: O. Badr (72), W. Hayes (59), B. Lambert (80), N. Barnes (75), L. Swaney (76), T. Sruk (61), O. Poole (70)

IN: K. Ferronato, D. Hogg, M. Rudd, C. Verrell
OUT: J. Binns, C. Durdin, C. Lord, A. Moir (AFL)
NEW: Michael Rudd, 19, 193cm, St Mary’s; Callum Verrell, 20, 188cm, Rowville

RICHMOND
B:
M. El Nour (57), T. Brindley (61), N. Guiney (62)
HB: C. Harris (54), K. Smith (49), T. McCarthy (76)
C: A. Johnson (70), T. Dow (27), M. Yassine (65)
HF: M. Pickett (50), L. Wilson (82), M. Rioli (10)
F: L. Fawcett (37), N. Cumberland (38), O. Hayes-Brown (47)
R: S. Ryan (32), T. Sonsie (40), K. McAuliffe (28)
INT: A. May (71), N. Collier (81), L. George (67), S. Davidson (73), H. Langford (78)*
EMG: H. Scott (74), R. Cantwell (68), J. Pollocks (79), N. Girolami (59)

IN: N. Collier, T. Dow, H. Langford, K. McAuliffe, M. Pickett, S. Ryan, K. Smith, L. Wilson
OUT: J. Blight, M. Coulthard, J. Ross (AFL), J. Garner (suspended), C. Olden (hamstring), F. O'Sullivan, J. Smith (Oakleigh Chargers), R. Cantwell
NEW: Harvey Langford, 18, 190cm, Mornington/Dandenong Stingrays

With the AFL squad decimated by injury, just five listed players have been named - Akuei, Wilson, Lemmey, Monahan and Mirkov. Also, with the AFL side playing later in the day in Perth, it's likely that two or even all three of the emergencies will take the trip to Perth and come out of the side (Akuei, Wilson, Lemmey).

Of note, Hayes has been named as an emergency. You'd think he'd have been one of the first selected if available, so perhaps a further indication of changes pending.

Tobie Travaglia plays his second VFL match for Carlton, and will again be one to watch, as a potential first round target in the 2024 draft for us. Michael Rudd another to watch in his first match. For the oppo, it's a pity that O'Sullivan and Smith are out, would have been nice to have had a look at a couple of the best in this year's draft, but we do get a look at Harvey Langford, who may be in our draft range.

Final side: https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1631829/vfl-team-news-blues-final-team-for-2024

team.jpg

Akuei, Wilson and Lemmey all come out of the selected side as emergencies for the AFL match. Monahan and Mirkov the only listed players in the team. The addition of Hayes helps though.

Last edited:
Cumberland for the Tigers seems to have gone backwards lately?
Anyone know whether he's been injured? Played out of position?

Callum Verrell is a decent intercepting/running defender not oarticularly tall, athletic or skilled (though pretty decent kick) but not a contested ball-winner's shoelace.
I take it Rudd is the Geelong Falcons forward? Showed a bit at that level as a high endurance not otherwise particularly athletic skilled 3rd tall forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 2 - 21 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back