VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

No chance it happens. He gets at least another year - is showing good progress

While I do not necessary disagree with what you say Simon Dalrymple has joined us to do more than just spectate.

Apart from him looking at incoming players, I fully expect that he will with fresh eyes be casting his eye of over our entire list.

This will most like likely see a few layers culled.

The other side of the coin is whether there are any good young rucks, with a few years under their belts, who can be brought in.

While I do not necessary disagree with what you say Simon Dalrymple has joined us to do more than just spectate.

Apart from him looking at incoming players, I fully expect that he will with fresh eyes be casting his eye of over our entire list.

The other side of the coin is whether there are any good young rucks, with a few years under their belts, who can be brought in.
Dalrymple is a smart list manager, he will fully understand the development trajectory of ruckmen and talls in general

There are no rucks on the market this year, everyone has been re-signed because of a lack of ruckmen in the draft crop. There's literally one good ruck in Dodson

We have 3 ruckmen; Row, Heath, Campbell. No chance we're delisting Heath ahead of Campbell, and no chance we're delisting two ruckmen

Allison, Hotton, Paton, Ross, Hayes all on the chopping block ahead of him, while Membrey and Battle leave as FAs

Dalrymple is a smart list manager, he will fully understand the development trajectory of ruckmen and talls in general

There are no rucks on the market this year, everyone has been re-signed because of a lack of ruckmen in the draft crop. There's literally one good ruck in Dodson

We have 3 ruckmen; Row, Heath, Campbell. No chance we're delisting Heath ahead of Campbell, and no chance we're delisting two ruckmen

Allison, Hotton, Paton, Ross, Hayes all on the chopping block ahead of him, while Membrey and Battle leave as FAs
We have two spots opening on the rookie list this year as Sharman and Heath both have to be put onto the main list. I wouldn't be against signing Campbell on as a rookie.

Yep. So he needs more time in the gym. I'm not arguing with you btw, but just coz there's a deficiency, doesn't mean it's a problem. Specially on a slow burn like big Max.
Sadly a poor second half from Sandy yesterday. I've been watching Heath at various Sandy games at TBO for a couple of years now, and I was hoping he would develop a more physical side in his game in contests as a ruck, but seems to be standing still in development- just can't see where improvement is coming from.

Sadly a poor second half from Sandy yesterday. I've been watching Heath at various Sandy games at TBO for a couple of years now, and I was hoping he would develop a more physical side in his game in contests as a ruck, but seems to be standing still in development- just can't see where improvement is coming from.
Yep that's my concern. I just can't see an aspect of his game that will set him apart from a heap of other OK ruckmen.

Campbell looks like he might have one year left him, so unless we can prise out someone like Peter Ladhams from Sydney, I'd hate to looking for two new ruckmen at the end of next year.

Last edited:

Isn't that SOS's job?

Anyone that watched the whole game. Any thoughts on how the F/S / academy guys went?
I don't think we played any F/S or academy players this round. Of the players who were "trying out" I thought Lachlan Voss for a first time VFL player looked pretty good. At 199 he looked like a good rookie selection to develop into a post Battle defence in a few years time. The other player, Max Bernier, looked a bit overwhelmed. I'd say pass. Last week however Elwood Peckett (F/S) and Hoffman (academy) both looked very promising and worth picking up if we have room. However I was a bit dissapointed by Adrian Cole (academy) on the day. He has a body of good performances previously that may get him picked up. I am not sure we should pay any more than a 3rd round for him though. I think he is more 4th round/rookie on last weeks performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't that SOS's job?
So you believe that we have brought in a guy who is meant to be an exceptional judge of talent, but will only confine him to assessing kids?

And just ignore that in assessing some of the kids that the assesment needs to be be made for example that do we keep say Hotton, or do we move on to a draftee?

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back