Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally dawned on me a few hours ago its taken 23 years for footy karma to occur.

2001 SF v Hawks - a few days after September 11th, and eariest feeling I've ever had a footy match, Fabian Francis streaming into goal from 48m out on 45 degree angle, tries to bounce kick a goal but it hits the post and we go 3 pts up. Over the next minute the ball ends up in Hawthorn's forward line and they kick a goal and win by 3 pts.

Last night, Silicy's set shot to win the game hits the post and we hang on over the next minute and win the game by 3 pts.

We did spend the next 5 or 6 years belting the Hawks for revenge for the straight sets knock out and causing a few upset wins after that, like early in 2009 at MCG playing the defending premiers.

Maybe footy Karma means the Hawks will start belting us for revenge.
Worpel certainly flagged that they will be out to make us pay.

The entire episode has descended to a media beat up. Hinkley and Sicily have both moved to defuse the situation. After Hinkley made a public apology for his outburst James Sicily was on the news bulletin last night saying there was no need for an apology. Sicily also said that Hawthorn had spoken with Ginnivan about his social media posts. It sounds to me as if both parties have moved on.

TBH I am not sure what Hinkley found so offensive in a 'See ya in 14 days' comment. OK, it is presumptive and a tad arrogant but hardly the sort of thing you go to war over. Maybe the old saying, winners are grinners and losers can please themselves should apply?

The media are full of please explain from the AFL but according to Matthew Richardson all the AFL has asked is for 'extra details'.

I saw that interview a bit differently to you Pieman, my interpretation is Sicily insinuated that `he' wasn't going to apologise.

He showed less than zero intent in playing down kern's part in the altercation while at the same time making excuses for Ginnivan's BS, and he came across as an arrogant dawk's campaigner who was more interested in keeping their crap going than making any genuine attempt to `defuse the situation!'

I saw that interview a bit differently to you Pieman, my interpretation is Sicily insinuated that `he' wasn't going to apologise.

He showed less than zero intent in playing down kern's part in the altercation while at the same time making excuses for Ginnivan's BS, and he came across as an arrogant dawk's campaigner who was more interested in keeping their crap going than making any genuine attempt to `defuse the situation!'

He actually said that he will stick up for his players 'even if they're in the wrong' which I thought was an interesting admission. Basically he's a hot head, was angry that they'd lost, saw Hinkley running his mouth and decided to give it back. A bit of a sore loser thing to do but on reflection somewhat understandable.

Mitchell's outburst at the press conference though was embarrassing.

just realised the “biggest” media voices on the Hinkley sledge are all Hawthorn ex-players.

Dunstall, Brereton, Hodge and Lewis.

I wonder if they can actually write a review on the game now?

The Victorian narrative...... this loss just gets in the way of the mighty Vics, they are above all else. They are guaranteed a flag shortly, in their eyes.

Trouble is over the summer teams will put work into them and they will come back to the pack IMO.

We really played hard and tackled hard.

I thought the main difference was not having McEntee, Dixon and Burton in the team.

We have a fair whack of spuds to remove still but the out and out talent in the team is pretty darn high.

And I'm sure it's been said but if the Hawkers didn't get a few easy goals from free kicks, they may have got zippo.

We obviously struggled with marking and contested marking in the F50.

The ring ins down back were all borderline outstanding. Given their youth, just impressive.

I though Matthew Richardson in the commentary box was really good and balanced and stood up for us and finals footy a few times.
Looking back at the game, it really was a case of 'all played well'. I can’t think of a player that didn’t at least give effort for the whole four quarters.

Looking back at the game, it really was a case of 'all played well'. I can’t think of a player that didn’t at least give effort for the whole four quarters.

That’s the strongest positive going into Friday.

Usually winning games like that has meant an individual such as Chad Wingard or Robbie Gray or Zak Butters or Connor Rozee has gone absolutely thermonuclear with a Hall Of Fame statline for the ages.

Burgoyne aside, nobody really went berserk to a level that makes you say, “jeez we need him to hopefully repeat the dose if we’re to have any chance next week”.

There’s scope for all the blue chippers to scale far greater heights against the Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He actually said that he will stick up for his players 'even if they're in the wrong' which I thought was an interesting admission. Basically he's a hot head, was angry that they'd lost, saw Hinkley running his mouth and decided to give it back. A bit of a sore loser thing to do but on reflection somewhat understandable.

Mitchell's outburst at the press conference though was embarrassing.
I haven’t minded Mitchell up to now, but I thought his press conference was a bit precious. Sure he’d be bitterly disappointed at losing, but the whole 'everyone loves watching us' so the whole footy world, apart from Port supporters, will be shattered as well? Went on and on about how emotional everyone was about it, too gushy for my liking. Actually seemed a bit immature.

Hawthorn have shown their soft underbelly here
Really?

One of the youngest teams in the comp went from 17th on the ladder after Round 7 all the way to a Semi Final. They've been playing virtual Elimination Finals for the past 2 months. They won 15 of their last 20 games in great style without any recognised superstars, but with an incredibly even team effort across the board.

Last week, in front of an MCG crowd of 98,000, they won convincingly versus a highly-fancied Western Bulldogs team who many were tipping to win the flag.

They travelled to South Australia to play a pumped-up Port Adelaide team who finished 2nd on the ladder and who threw the kitchen sink at them for 4 quarters. I don't have the stats, but I'm guessing it was Port's best game of the season in terms of pressure index and tough tackling over 4 quarters.

Port managed to shut down the Hawks running game and led by 3 goals halfway through the final quarter.

Did the Hawks turn up their toes and concede defeat? Did the Hawks find it all "too hard" and surrender meekly once the opposition and home crowd sensed victory? Nope... Hawthorn fought the game out to the final whistle. They almost pinched victory in the final 2-3 minutes with 2 set shots that went agonisingly close.

This is the exact opposite to showing a "soft underbelly". Teams with a soft underbelly get pumped in September. Or they fold like a house of cards and let games slip after leading by 44 points. Hawthorn went down swinging in an away final and lost by 3 points without some key personnel. I personally think they showed a lot of character, grit and toughness this season.

But enough of the actual footy talk. Let's focus instead on the peripheral post-game crap... Maybe in the immediate aftermath of defeat, they got sucked in by the Hinkley gloating and they defended their teammate and displayed their bitter disappointment at being knocked out of the premiership race.

If that's called having a "soft underbelly" then please sign us up for some more... :):thumbsu:

Last edited:
Really?

One of the youngest teams in the comp went from 17th on the ladder after Round 7 all the way to a Semi Final. They've been playing virtual Elimination Finals for the past 2 months. They won 15 of their last 20 games in great style without any recognised superstars, but with an incredibly even team effort across the board.

Last week, in front of an MCG crowd of 98,000, they won convincingly versus a highly-fancied Western Bulldogs team who many were tipping to win the flag.

They travelled to South Australia to play a pumped-up Port Adelaide team who finished 2nd on the ladder and who threw the kitchen sink at them for 4 quarters. I don't have the stats, but I'm guessing it was Port's best game of the season in terms of pressure index and tough tackling over 4 quarters.

Port managed to shut down the Hawks running game and led by 3 goals halfway through the final quarter.

Did the Hawks turn up their toes and concede defeat? Did the Hawks find it all "too hard" and surrender meekly once the opposition and home crowd sensed victory?

Nope... Hawthorn fought the game out to the final whistle. They almost pinched victory in the final 2-3 minutes with 2 set shots that went agonisingly close. This is the exact opposite to showing a "soft underbelly". I think they showed a lot of character and toughness this season.

But enough of the actual footy talk. Let's focus instead on the irrelevant crap... Maybe in the immediate aftermath of defeat, they got sucked in by the Hinkley gloating and they defended their teammate and displayed their bitter disappointment at being knocked out of the premiership race.

If that's called having a "soft underbelly" then please sign me up for some more... :):thumbsu:
Do you realise your “one of the youngest teams in the comp” had an older average age and more experience in terms of average games played than the one we put on the park?

It's a shame that all the controversial clickbait crap is what drives the media these days

Instead of a talking about a great game (and a great 'backs to the wall' win by Port) the media have been preoccupied with all the horseshit between Jack Ginnivan and Ken Hinkley. Basically catering to all the non-Port, non-Hawthorn nuffies who don't really give a shit about the game we played, but who LOVE all the controversial "he said she said" crap.

While I love the budding rivalry between our clubs which is partially built on stuff like this, I also find it disappointing that Ginnivan posted crap on Twitter which made the week all about him instead of Port v Hawks and Luke Breust's 300th AFL game. He's young and immature (and probably a bit of a dickhead who needs to grow up.)

Likewise, Hinkley probably let himself down a bit with his post-game antics which have also taken some of the gloss off Port's great win and he's made himself the centre of attention instead of his players.

My own personal attitude to it all is that winners are grinners and losers can please themselves. Ken and the Port players are fully entitled to chirp at Ginnivan after the game. Ginnivan brought all of this on himself. It sucks that he has dragged the HFC into it, as well. But we have to defend him now cos he's one of us.

I think everyone was a little bit emotional after the game. Kenny, with his job on the line. Our leaders, Sammy Mitchell and Sicily too, after a crushing defeat in a game we so nearly snatched away from you in the final minute. Sicily has given his all this season, courageously playing with a separated shoulder since the 5th May, playing so brilliantly and carrying the team on his back. I'm guessing he personally felt responsible for the loss with his set shot 'poster'. A case of so close, yet so far...

The cold light of day has brought some perspective to the matter. It's all a storm in a teacup. The Hawks have moved on... (But we'll be ultra-determined to get our revenge next year.)

Meanwhile Port have bigger fish to fry next Friday in Sydney.

Good luck, Port fans. Give 'em hell! :thumbsu:

Thanks. That’s it.

Really?

Did the Hawks turn up their toes and concede defeat? Did the Hawks find it all "too hard" and surrender meekly once the opposition and home crowd sensed victory? Nope... Hawthorn fought the game out to the final whistle. They almost pinched victory in the final 2-3 minutes with 2 set shots that went agonisingly close.

This is the exact opposite to showing a "soft underbelly". I think they showed a lot of character and toughness this season.

But enough of the actual footy talk. Let's focus instead on the irrelevant crap... Maybe in the immediate aftermath of defeat, they got sucked in by the Hinkley gloating and they defended their teammate and displayed their bitter disappointment at being knocked out of the premiership race.

If that's called having a "soft underbelly" then please sign us up for some more... :):thumbsu:

IMG_6451.jpeg

The irony of one of our players getting fined for staging when the oppo have Ginnivan, Watson and Moore ducking, diving, putting their heads into ground etc.

And Chol.

I havent derived so much pleasure from so much pain for a long time. And I didn't even have to hire a bdsm mistress.

Shit Kim Dillion is actually invested in Port winning. Maybe because he tipped us for the flag at the start of the year.

Last edited:
Honestly, Hinkley shouldn't have mouthed off, but with all the media carry on by the Hawthorn media mafia you'd swear he bit the heads off a nest of baby hawks and spat them in the faces of the Hawthorn team.

Finally dawned on me a few hours ago its taken 23 years for footy karma to occur.

2001 SF v Hawks - a few days after September 11th, and eariest feeling I've ever had a footy match, Fabian Francis streaming into goal from 48m out on 45 degree angle, tries to bounce kick a goal but it hits the post and we go 3 pts up. Over the next minute the ball ends up in Hawthorn's forward line and they kick a goal and win by 3 pts.

Last night, Silicy's set shot to win the game hits the post and we hang on over the next minute and win the game by 3 pts.

We did spend the next 5 or 6 years belting the Hawks for revenge for the straight sets knock out and causing a few upset wins after that, like early in 2009 at MCG playing the defending premiers.

Maybe footy Karma means the Hawks will start belting us for revenge
Still haunts me

Barker kicks one out of his arse with a migraine..

If only flash had put that through

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back