Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually loved the theatre that Ginnivan & Hinkley created, it’s great for the game & adds some much needed colour & personality to what’s becoming a very sanitised product.

Does Ginnivan get everything right? Absolutely not, but I reckon Jack Cahill would have loved him if he was under his tutelage.

It appears Friday has birthed a new rivalry between the two sides which is good for both supporter groups. If the AFL doesn’t open next years Gather Round with Port v Hawthorn, they should sack the entire Fixture department.

Jack wouldn't have tolerated someone who put himself ahead of the team like Ginnivan does. Bomber Clifford, Dave Granger and Ivan Eckermann would have called for a Code Red on him.

We've had the good run of the green with AFL media this week.

Even when the Hawks old boys tried to put Hinkley in the frying pan, other media pundits called them out.

It's nice for a change.

I guess winners and grinners and losers can cry in their weet-bix.
Winners celebrate, Losers have meetings

Just stumbled across this in my FB feed.

Geez that idiot 'Cosi' is a fekn try hard isn't he? No surprises who his team is.

Anyone who's been to a Port game knows you avoid the pre match full volume screeching from our game day hostess at all costs.

Last edited:

Geez that idiot 'Cosi' is a fekn try hard isn't he? No surprises who his team is.

Anyone whose been to a Port game knows you avoid the pre match full volume screeching from our game day hostess at all costs.

Why is the fat fcuk there anyway

Freeloading I bet

Why is the fat fcuk there anyway

Freeloading I bet
Yep. That would be a safe bet I reckon. Just hope it wasn't a freebie from the club.

Anyone who's been to a Port game knows you avoid the pre match full volume screeching from our game day hostess at all costs.

Any bets on what colours he was wearing?

Any bets on what colours he was wearing?
Black and whine - only because that's what it demanded on the black tie invite that came with the free tickets.

I know this because my mate at Peter Shearer Menswear told me the 52" waist extra short length hire tuxes had sold out for that night.

Last edited:
Just watching the replay again looking more closely at the umpiring. Sheesh that Jones tackle decision was a shocker, especially given where it was. If you'd lost a GF on that you'd be completely stiffed. If it had been the other way and was the difference between the sides, we'd still be hearing about it. Absolutely textbook execution from Jones.

HTB was more consistently applied, which really helped our run especially in Q1. After the first Hawks goal (also from a nothing free kick which wouldn't be awarded 9 times out of 10, especially as the defender wouldn't have gotten to the contest anyway) the umpiring really did seem to turn.
These stats from a month ago

124.png

Just watching the replay again looking more closely at the umpiring. Sheesh that Jones tackle decision was a shocker, especially given where it was. If you'd lost a GF on that you'd be completely stiffed. If it had been the other way and was the difference between the sides, we'd still be hearing about it. Absolutely textbook execution from Jones.

HTB was more consistently applied, which really helped our run especially in Q1. After the first Hawks goal (also from a nothing free kick which wouldn't be awarded 9 times out of 10, especially as the defender wouldn't have gotten to the contest anyway) the umpiring really did seem to turn.
They cheated the pricks.

Good interview and high praise from Tyson about his goldfish backline

Port Adelaide’s backline coach Tyson Goldsack says he could not be prouder of the way the side’s defenders stood up in the win over Hawthorn at the weekend.

Missing regulars Dan Houston, Kane Farrell and Ryan Burton and with five players aged 22 and under in defence, Port kept the Hawks to their lowest score since Round 17.

Speaking at a press conference on Monday, Goldsack highlighted the efforts of the inexperienced Jase Burgoyne and Josh Sinn in particular.

Goldsack also provided injury updates on a couple of key backmen and explained how much the side will take from its recent win over the Swans in preparation for Friday night’s Preliminary Final.

probably couldn't be more proud than what I what I was after the game. It was a phenomenal effort, really, considering who we had in there. You know, would I pick that side at the start of the year, or thought I had (those players in it) at the start of the year? Probably not. But the way they committed to the task from early in the week, as soon as they found out they were playing, and the detail they went to to get their roles right and then execute, which is always the hardest part. It was an unbelievable effort.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is such a pelican. Had a bloke sitting near me who looked like him and he was a crows supporter too. I guess they have a type.

No, not exactly.
In Victoria they still claim ' Sydney ' and ' Brisbane ' as South Melbourne and Fitzroy, so in actual fact Port are the only genuine outliers. A great proportion of the Vic football public also consider Geelong to be inbred country bumpkins as well.
No, we don't. You're just making this stuff up.

The only time anyone talks about the old South Melb supporters is when the Swans get a big crowd to one of their games at the MCG. Maybe one of the commentators will waffle on about the Vic-based Swans fans. South Melb is ancient history. Everyone knows the Swannies as the Sydney team.

The old Roys fans get even less acknowledgement. The AFL's Brisbane-Fitzroy merger in 1996 was never fully accepted by the rank & file fans. There were a handful who stuck with the Lions because of the colours, but not many at all... Most just drifted away.

The whole "suck shit Victoria" thing is pretty funny.... Like there's some mythical solidarity between the fans of Coll, Carl, Ess, Rich, Haw, Geel, St K, NM, WB, Melb vs the Non-Vic teams. Nobody cares about that. There is no "us Victorians vs the rest" mentality. Only from the company men who work in the media. Some wanka might start a thread on the main board along those lines as a troll... But the reality is the fans of the Vic clubs HATE each other. They ALWAYS barrack for the non-Vic teams to beat their hated Vic rivals - just go and look at the match threads here on Big Footy

If Adelaide was playing a Prelim final vs Essendon, would you lot be barracking for the Crows or the Bombers? 🤣

"Suck shit Victoria" would be more accurately described as "Suck shit Channel 7" or "Suck shit Vic media". They're the ones who love the "Big Four" clubs to the exclusion of the six smaller Victorian clubs. We are just after-thoughts in their content creation. We're the neglected little brother clubs just like Port in Adelaide or Freo in Perth.

For the media, it's all about money and clicks and tv ratings. Ergo, they LOVE the Pies, Blues, Tigers and Bombers.

Last edited:
No, we don't. You're just making this stuff up.

The only time anyone talks about the old South Melb supporters is when the Swans get a big crowd to one of their games at the MCG. Maybe one of the commentators will waffle on about the Vic-based Swans fans. South Melb is ancient history. Everyone knows the Swannies as the Sydney team.
A Sydney vs Brisbane Final has already been spun as the first rematch between the Clubs since the 1800s

A Sydney vs Brisbane Final has already been spun as the first rematch between the Clubs since the 1800s
Spun by who exactly, though? :rolleyes: Who is saying this???

There are so many plonkers in the football media who talk loads of shit at this time of year because there are only a few teams left in it and just 3 more games remaining in the season.

You gotta ignore the bullshit.

For every one toolbag saying it's a "rematch" from the 1800's, there are 100 others saying how great it would be for the development of AFL in the rugby-dominated northern states to have a Sydney v Brisbane Grand Final...or an all-Sydney GF (before the Giants were bundled out in straight sets)

If we brought that intensity of tackling to the Geelong game, it would've been a really good game.

Hawthorn were lucky to score a goal in the first half. They were given three free kicks and a 50 metre penalty for their first three goals. Aliir's was ticky touch but it was there. The other two were just great tackles that shows you how much the game has been lost to wokeness. Ginnivan's goal was just too many Hawks around the ball.

After that, it was pretty much Watson keeping them in the game.

The three goals in the third were on Bergman of all people. Another dubious free kick for a high tackle of a ducking Watson. Then burnt on the lead by Watson. Later in the quarter, burnt on the lead by Breust.

Watson had a fantastic crumb in the last quarter with Rozee of all people trying to nab him. IIRC that was Zerk's fault for leaving his man.

Then it was Sicily to the forward line.

What I'm trying to say is that with decent umpiring and a bit of luck, we would've smashed the Hawks.
In the end, they hit the post twice late in the game which for mine, was a tad undeserved, that is, that they had a chance to win the game, not that they missed the goal and won.
I honestly don't understand Port's bleating about the umpiring. It's pretty nuts. Even when you win, you bleat about the umps 🤣

I realise you're a little bit more even-minded about the umps than many other Port fans and you're prepared to say a few of the frees were there, so don't take everything I say personally... I'm speaking more about the collective... :):thumbsu:

For starters, the free kick count was Port 25, Hawks 23... The free kick count never tells the full story, but what it does tell us is that the umps weren't shy about giving you guys a decent share of the free kicks.

Just look at the way the match played out - the gameplans of both sides. The Hawks midfielders went in first for the ball and the Port mids would often hang back slightly and then smash them with tackles whenever the Hawks took possession - the Western Bulldogs & Geelong ploy of conceding first possession and then strip-tackling their opponents.

Tackles...... (2024 average)
Wines. 10..... 4.6
Rozee.. 9...... 4.2
Butters 8...... 4.0
Drew... 8...... 6.2
Sweet.. 5.......5.0

The overall tackle count was pretty even - Hawthorn 81, Port Adelaide 77
Except Port received a ton of HTB free kicks - more than double Hawthorn's frees for HTB.

The Port fans were in a frenzy, screaming for 'holding the ball' throughout the game; feeling aggrieved and booing whenever a tackle of theirs wasn't rewarded. Which is par for the course, but due to it being a closely-fought knockout final, the fans were maybe a little more on-edge and pumped-up than normal. Maybe this is partly what led to you feeling victimised by the umps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what were the controversial free kicks that got everyone so pissed off?

Lots of commentary around Hawthorn' first 3 goals (all from free kicks)

1. free kick to Calsher Dear... Aliir Aliir penalised for holding the man... This was an obvious decision. He clearly impeded Dear from making the contest vs Bergman. Grabbed him around the midriff. He didn't maul Dear to the ground, but it was still an obvious infringement. Free kick every day of the week.

2. free kick to Mabior Chol... Lachie Jones was penalised for a sling tackle... Once again, this was an obvious free kick. Jones pinned both of Chol's arms and swung him 360' head first to the ground. Chol's head hit the ground, clear as day. The ump was right there on the spot and had a clear unimpeded view of it.

I'm a bit perplexed why anyone would dispute this free kick. What games have they been watching? Welcome to 2024. In past decades, this was a great tackle by Jones. Under the new rules, it's a free kick. I was going to say "under the new rules of 2024"... But the AFL outlawed these sling tackles more than 5 years ago. You can't pin both arms of an opponent and swing them head first into the ground. Surely, we all know that by now, don't we?

If Jones had done this sling tackle during the home and away season, he would've been suspended for one or two matches.
The MRO has chosen to look the other way and given him a pass cos it's a Prelim Final this Friday :thumbsu:

[BTW, Lachie Jones goes alright. Love the sidestep. He aint no superstar, but I like his style. He's a pretty good player.]

3. Bullshit free kick to Dylan Moore. Jase Burgoyne was unjustly penalised for a dangerous tackle... Umpire Curtis Deboy was blindsided and incorrectly guessed. He thought he saw a dangerous tackle because of the explosiveness of Burgoyne's take-down. Port fans were justified in bellyaching about this bullshit free kick & goal.

I can't helping thinking there is a bit of "straw that broke the camel's back" with this 3rd free kick goal in 5 minutes. Just because the 3rd one was bullcrap, that doesn't mean the other two frees weren't there. The Port fans near me were livid & screaming about the injustice of it all ... But rather than whinging about 3 bullshit frees, let's get real and acknowledge that 2 of them were there and you got shafted with one of them

However, Port's very first goal was also from a bullshit umpiring decision. Worpel was incorrectly penalised for holding the ball. Willie Rioli wrapped him up with a front-on tackle, but Worpel was strong enough to shrug it off. Tackle incomplete. PLAY ON! Connor Rozee then tackled him around the waist and Worpel immediately handpassed to D'Ambrosio. It was a clear handball. Not some fumbly throw-handpass. Umpire Brett Rosebery was in a poor position, standing 10m behind the action. He just guessed that Worpel fumbled it away. He incorrectly penalised Worpel for the accumulative effect of the 2 tackles...

A bullshit free to Rozee; and he kicked the first goal of the match, much to the delight of the Port fans. Nobody was bleating about the umpires in that instance... All quickly glossed over and forgotten.... :rolleyes:

So midway through the 2nd qtr, the score was 3 goals apiece and we were 1-1 with umpire-assisted bullshit goals.

On the ensuing centre bounce, Jordan Sweet kneed Lloyd Meek in the nuts. One of those deliberate "accidents". 🤣

Meek went down for the count. No free kick. Sweet was fined $5,000 by the MRO for the kneeing offence. But there was no free kick awarded. :oops:

I remember the Hawks kicking an iffy goal when Mabior Chol took possession of the ball after it had just crossed the boundary line. Not so much a bullshit umpiring decision. More a case of the boundary ump not seeing it, so were were able to get away with that that one. Shit happens. I totally understand the Port fans' anger and frustration after they saw the replay. But these sort of things will always occur throughout a game. I generally think good luck to you if you can get away with a few.

I remember much later in the game, Port players were constantly knocking the ball over the boundary line. Much like Sam Taylor v Joe Daniher late in the 4th quarter of the Giants v Lions semi final. Except the Hawks received no free kick for 'deliberate' or 'insufficient intent'. Go figure!

Were there any other controversial moments ? Were there any other bullshit goals from bullshit free kicks?
Let me know... I'm genuinely curious about what got you all so worked up. The umpiring wasn't that bad, was it?

You mentioned the dubious frees given to the "ducking" Watson. Why is Watson always singled out for ducking? For starters, he is the shortest player in the AFL and he plays to his strengths. Why wouldn't he? He gets himself low to the ground when he bursts through with the ball and makes it very difficult for defenders to tackle him without infringing. Sometimes he ducks. Other times he doesn't need to.

I still don't think it's fair for people to always single him out for ducking when more than 90% of high tackle free kicks are the result of players ducking. Should we run the ruler over Jason Horne-Francis's 41 frees in 2024 and see how many he milked from ducking into tackles? Let's get real... All the good players do it...

I just think the whole Port vs Umpires from last Friday was overplayed. Port fans seem to like playing the victim when it comes to umpiring. Backs to the wall... Us against them... We shall overcome and win it the "hard way"... With decent umpiring and bit of luck, we would've SMASHED them...

Pfft. It was a great game, mate. It was played largely on Port's terms. The Hawks were never really able to get their game going, which is a credit to Hinkley, his assistants and the players for radically changing up their team methodology.

Some bad umpiring decisions went both ways. But I think you're drawing a hell of a long bow to say they favoured Hawthorn. I know one thing for certain... If you think the umpiring was bad last Friday night, just you wait until this Friday night!!! You are up against the AFL love child. Just think of the extra TV ratings Channel 7 will get if Sydney win through to the Grand Final with millions of rugby fans and AFL casuals tuning in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back