Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

It's all fun to laugh at WC now, but it remains possible that they're right. If they draft Allan for example and he becomes a great player while the actual #3 is a flight risk like Cerra.

History doesn't repeat with drafts. If this one is as speculated, being minimal difference between 3 and 12, and then they get a player they really like anyway, then it is actually an excellent trade.

Be careful of the early crow. Their 2022 isn't necessarily going to repeat. Have to focus on the outcome of the draft, not just the numbers and their meaningless value points.

Bit of willful cognitive dissonance going on with respect to Reid being a flight risk and the Eagles now choosing to avoid that same scenario.
The hilarious part isn't the trade down itself, it's what they're getting from it as a rebuilding team. You can make the argument you've just made: that trading down is not a bad idea especially if a lot of the top kids indicated they'd leave WA.

But if that's the case, you get multiple bites at the cherry with mid first rounders. And your express intent is maximising young talent. Bo Allan is likely the only WA kid in the top 20, but you ain't selling me on him being the only kid in the entire top 20 willing to play West.

The motives already advertised make this argument rather weak. They split the pick with the express purpose of satisfying Richmond for an out-of-contract Baker. Or rather, satisfying Baker's demands that West Coast pay his old club a ransom. And if that's not enough, after over the weekend the news came out that Carlton's pick swap was rejected, turns out 27 year old Matt ****ing Owies is a turning point for the deal. So much so that West Coast are the team GIVING the steak knife picks. I would've bet money that they'd be receiving them last night.

You can argue that Carlton haven't won this 3-club trade by parting with a lot to get pick 3. But I know for damn sure West Coast lost it. Could've got 1 elite young talent or 2 very good ones, and instead have pick 12 and 2 27 year olds who don't exactly look like the types whose games will age gracefully.

Dan Houston was almost a Dee.
Keanu Reeves Matrix GIF by PeacockTV

The hilarious part isn't the trade down itself, it's what they're getting from it as a rebuilding team. You can make the argument you've just made: that trading down is not a bad idea especially if a lot of the top kids indicated they'd leave WA.

But if that's the case, you get multiple bites at the cherry with mid first rounders. And your express intent is maximising young talent. Bo Allan is likely the only WA kid in the top 20, but you ain't selling me on him being the only kid in the entire top 20 willing to play West.

The motives already advertised make this argument rather weak. They split the pick with the express purpose of satisfying Richmond for an out-of-contract Baker. Or rather, satisfying Baker's demands that West Coast pay his old club a ransom. And if that's not enough, after over the weekend the news came out that Carlton's pick swap was rejected, turns out 27 year old Matt ****ing Owies is a turning point for the deal. So much so that West Coast are the team GIVING the steak knife picks. I would've bet money that they'd be receiving them last night.

You can argue that Carlton haven't won this 3-club trade by parting with a lot to get pick 3. But I know for damn sure West Coast lost it. Could've got 1 elite young talent or 2 very good ones, and instead have pick 12 and 2 27 year olds who don't exactly look like the types whose games will age gracefully.
I'm not making an argument one way or the other, I'm just stating that it's possible that in the future things turn out in their favour. You cannot know who won and lost a trade until about 5 years have passed. Right now it's just guessing which possible future is the most likely outcome.

Tend to agree. Baker's a great acquisition, Owies is...fine. The melts are funny but I can at least see some level of logic behind going for Baker + a minimal flight risk player in an even draft.

Still might be an epic ****up but it's not quite as insane as some are suggesting.
I agree there is some logic in splitting resources between proven talent and the draft, but resources to the former should be devoted to players who are likely to be still be delivering when you move into a realistic window. (E.g. if it was 2021 A Jordan Clark type trade would be a good value for them).

By trading for for non A graders 27+ they have almost guaranteed from a long term perspective those resources are wasted. All they can do is improve results marginally in the near future which is pure optics. Really it's almost like they're thinking about it from a money perspective, or at the very least they can't stand the shame of him leaving; We must keep Harley. Whereas in the real footy world one player, no matter how good, is not going to win you flags.

Basically they have Gold Coast / Weller traded themselves by committing to Baker, just because some important people felt it was right and valid that he shouldn't have to look people in the eye in the Freshwater Bay Yacht Club as a former Freo player after he'd retired.

I agree there is some logic in splitting resources between proven talent and the draft, but resources to the former should be devoted to players who are likely to be still be delivering when you move into a realistic window. (E.g. if it was 2021 A Jordan Clark type trade would be a good value for them).

By trading for for non A graders 27+ they have almost guaranteed from a long term perspective those resources are wasted. All they can do is improve results marginally in the near future which is pure optics. Really it's almost like they're thinking about it from a money perspective, or at the very least they can't stand the shame of him leaving; We must keep Harley. Whereas in the real footy world one player, no matter how good, is not going to win you flags.

Basically they have Gold Coast / Weller traded themselves by committing to Baker, just because some important people felt it was right and valid that he shouldn't have to look people in the eye in the Freshwater Bay Yacht Club as a former Freo player after he'd retired.
This part I agree with - Baker is not worth pick 14 and it doesn't make sense to spend that pick on him. The rest of the trade does make some sense though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This part I agree with - Baker is not worth pick 14 and it doesn't make sense to spend that pick on him. The rest of the trade does make some sense though.
Yeah 3 for two 10ishes or 3 for 10ish and a U24 player makes sense. Particularly with dire state of the middle of their list (21 to 26). But blowing half the resource on old players is madness.

He's from Tassie, so might have ambitions to get in with the Devils by getting back into the AFL system as an ass. coach.
Well hopefully he primarily has some ambitions to help us get better too. 🤞

Norwood was the highest scoring team in the SANFL and he had that attacking streak as a caretaker coach too (from memory). Hopefully he can bring some great attacking ideas and strategy into our game plan.

Alright Freo, every single ****ing trade has treated picks between 9 and 14 is the holy ****ing grail. We keep 11 at all costs

I'm not against trading it for next year to get the picks for Chad.

Alright Freo, every single ****ing trade has treated picks between 9 and 14 is the holy ****ing grail. We keep 11 at all costs
What if WC agreeing to being exploited included agreement Richmond would not let a Bolton trade proceed that resulted in Freo holding a higher first round pick than WC?

Not likely, but not absolutely impossible.

Hmm I dunno about Collingwood.

They’ve traded out two capable players and have no firsts this year ore next year for Dan Houston and Lachie Schultz with a VERY old list

They're within their rights to go for it I think. Get a couple more cracks out of the 28+ brigade before it all goes to shit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back