Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

We would be getting some junk picks back in the 50s or 40s that would come in a few spots on draft night.

I just like to think if we were gonna fold on 10 & 11 we probably would have by now
11 becomes super important with West Coast now receiving pick 12 from Carlton in the pick 3 split/Baker trade. It means we get to decide who we want directly before West Coast at 12, which could potentially be Bo Allen, the pick of the West Australians this year. To get Bolton and still be ahead of West Coast in the draft, after the year they've had, would be absolutely delicious, and might i say, imperative. To trade 10, 11 and 18 out for 14 and therefore move to behind the Eagle's pick 12 in the draft, would for me, be a complete disaster and dealbreaker.

Casual Vic footy fans suggesting this trade aren't aware of the Bo Allen factor...because...well..tbh they dont know anything about upcoming WAFL talent.

So Houston a back to back AA gun with four years left on his contract goes for 13, 29 and loose change but Bolton is worth 10 and 11... Rightio....
13,29,36,50, Richards (third round), Atkins (fourth round) > Houston, 39, 58
Equivalent points value is 3

10, 18 > Bolton
Equivalent points value is 3

I agree though the trade Bolton is much more valuable.

I quite like:
10,11,18 > 14,23, Bolton

It is then 14,23 vs 11,30

DragoDelph does your source think that there'll be any trades tomorrow?
sauce GIF

11 becomes super important with West Coast now receiving pick 12 from Carlton in the pick 3 split/Baker trade. It means we get to decide who we want directly before West Coast at 12, which could potentially be Bo Allen, the pick of the West Australians this year. To get Bolton and still be ahead of West Coast in the draft, after the year they've had, would be absolutely delicious, and might i say, imperative. To trade 10, 11 and 18 out for 14 and therefore move to behind the Eagle's pick 12 in the draft, would for me, be a complete disaster and dealbreaker.

Casual Vic footy fans suggesting this trade aren't aware of the Bo Allen factor...because...well..tbh they dont know anything about upcoming WAFL talent.
Except, Bo Allen has no spot in our team for 2-3 years at best. Why not just grab the best small forward and not worry about what the crabs at WC do. They will pick Chesser 2.0 anyway.

Except, Bo Allen has no spot in our team for 2-3 years at best. Why not just grab the best small forward and not worry about what the crabs at WC do. They will pick Chesser 2.0 anyway.
Regardless of who we pick, we want to be before West Coast, not afterwards. Pick 12 lines up perfectly with that outcome, and confirms it was one of the worst trades in trade week history. They were bent over by a promise they made to Baker and fumble on the original Hawthorn Barrass offer, and they can try to spin the Warner coming to them next year narrative all they like, but it's clearly a media/pr push from West Coast to try to get the footy world off their back.

Since the Baker trade today, the media haven't even noted that we are also still in the race for east freo boy Warner if he comes back next year, as West Coast and their media connections are so desperate to put positive spin on an objectively horrific trade, pushed through by their new ex-Richmond coach and ex-Tigers list manager (the latter who is so committed to his new WA club he is taking the job while also deciding to base himself in Melbourne at Docklands!)

When i was lurking the eagles board today i read they were apparently after that key defender that is in the range of 10-15

Gold Coast apparently need a pick in the 30's coming back if they trade out 6 and 23.

GC out: 6
GC in: 10 and 30
Freo out: 10 and 30
Freo in: 6

GC out: 10 and 23
GC in: Rioli
Rich out: Rioli
Rich in: 10 and 23

Freo out: 6 and 18
Freo in: Bolton and 23
Rich out: Bolton and 23
Rich in: 6 and 18

Net Result
Freo out: 10, 18 and 30

Rich in: 6, 10, 18
Rich out: Bolton and Rioli

GC in: Rioli and 30
GC out: 6 and 23

Last edited:
Gold Coast apparently need a pick in the 30's coming back if they trade out 6 and 23.

bro 6 is wayyyyy overs for bolton. 10,18,30 for bolton and 23 is crazy

what im saying is if we get pick 6 all that is needed to be sent to richmond is that. no need to drop 18 to 23
That is also possible. If they took 6 straight up that is great, if not, the calibre of player at 23 is just as good as 18 imo and i'd be happy to offer it.

Not to mention we could ask for 20 instead of 23.

So trades can be lodged between 11am - 430pm WST tomorrow, a bit after 4.30 as long as they are in the queue at 4.30.

What time do we expect the deal to go through?
A. First journo confirmation
B. AFL announcement it's completed
C. Club announcement

Closest guesses get... a few quote tweets saying well done and bragging rights?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You only have to look at this trade period to see why trading into next year just to satisfy Sydney is the dumbest shit.

If Port could just trade Houston to any Victorian club he'd be playing for North Melbourne or Melbourne next year because they could have offered Port way better deals.

If Richmond could have traded an OOC Baker anywhere they wanted and we were really stupid enough to offer pick 11 he would be at Freo would he not?

We really need to be taking a couple of good picks in this draft. Will be our last chance for a good while you would think to get some top end kids in the door aside from NGA prospects. Will be trading for Chad/Pickett next year and Tassie looming.

Assuming of course the team does it's part and starts consistently finishing near the pointy end of the ladder.

Pick 10, 11 and 30 for Bolton and 14 (and maybe later pick swaps no one cares about) wouldn’t surprise me.

Richmond would care more about their overall result so if Pick 30 gets them Pick 6 and Pick 23 from Gold Coast it could be a winner for them despite letting us off a little lighter than expected.
If we have to compromise this I can live with.

Net Result
Freo out: 10, 18 and 30

Rich in: 6, 10, 18
Rich out: Bolton and Rioli

GC in: Rioli and 30
GC out: 6 and 23

We're over paying. Whether there's method to the WC madness or not we shouldn't sell the farm for Bolton like this. 10 and 18 is more than reasonable and the Tiges are taking the piss. They should be happy with 10.

Is that right?

This is the Geelong website:
View attachment 2143136

I think so

In a complex deal, the Cats sent picks No.13, 15 and 20 and a future fourth-round selection to the Giants in exchange for Cameron, the Giants' future second-round selection and a future second-round selection tied to Essendon from the earlier Jye Caldwell deal.

So after all the talk about having lots to do and lots of targets and having all these picks to spend this trade period we've ended up with a big whopping ONE player wanting to join us. One very good player but still. Bit of a let down.

The Tigers seem really hung up on getting 23 from GC as part of the Rioli deal, my belief is it’s because we have said we aren’t parting with 11 unless we can somehow take 2x1st rounders to the draft. Tigers don’t want to give up 20 from the lions as they traded a lot of picks for that.
In our favour:
Bolton+14+23 = 10,11,18,30
In Richmond’s favour
Bolton+23 = 10,11,30

GC deal is already agreed to
Rioli+30 = 6+23

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back