USA 2024 US Presidential Election: Trump vs Harris

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, we've had a good run. Some have had a good laugh and others have melted a little, but from this point we're improving the standard of discussion.

The rules for the SRP are thus:
... and I'd like you all to stick to them.

From the Trump threads:
Mod Notice
* Thread monitored actively. User who drag it down will be removed

Specifically: reference to TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome) and its counterpart 'Trumpanzee' or anything similar will no longer be allowed.

Personal attacks are also to be kept to a minimum.
Play nicely from here, please.

This is one of the oldest and most effective tricks in politics. Every hack in the business has used it in times of trouble, and it has even been elevated to the level of political mythology in a story about one of Lyndon Johnson’s early campaigns in Texas. The race was close and Johnson was getting worried. Finally he told his campaign manager to start a massive rumor campaign about his opponent’s life-long habit of enjoying carnal knowledge of his own barnyard sows.

“Christ, we can’t get a way with calling him a pig-****er,” the campaign manager protested. “Nobody’s going to believe a thing like that.”

“I know,” Johnson replied. “But let’s make the sonofabitch deny it.”

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail.
FFS I just watched the 2019 film the Gentlemen and the scene with Big Dave at the end just came flooding back, something you'll never un see!

Just saying the fake troll has backfired and actually shows that Vance is not as umpopular as the Dems would like to make out.

Also, rooting a jason recliner sounds like a recipe for disaster.
As always, correlation not necessarily causation old son.

Bloke has just been announced as VP, ascribing a bounce in his book sales to the joke rather than the announcement itself is a bit.. whats the word... weird.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one of the oldest and most effective tricks in politics. Every hack in the business has used it in times of trouble, and it has even been elevated to the level of political mythology in a story about one of Lyndon Johnson’s early campaigns in Texas. The race was close and Johnson was getting worried. Finally he told his campaign manager to start a massive rumor campaign about his opponent’s life-long habit of enjoying carnal knowledge of his own barnyard sows.

“Christ, we can’t get a way with calling him a pig-****er,” the campaign manager protested. “Nobody’s going to believe a thing like that.”

“I know,” Johnson replied. “But let’s make the sonofabitch deny it.”

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail.
I love that book. It's a wonderful read for anyone with an interest in US politics.

HST may have been off the wall and off his head but he had a fantastic knack for cutting through the bullshit and expressing insight with a wonderful turn of phrase.

I love that book. It's a wonderful read for anyone with an interest in US politics.

HST may have been off the wall and off his head but he had a fantastic knack for cutting through the bullshit and expressing insight with a wonderful turn of phrase.
The Boys on the Bus by Tim Crowse about the press following the 72 campaign is a good companion to that book.

The Boys on the Bus by Tim Crowse about the press following the 72 campaign is a good companion to that book.
Speaking of books, HST and Trump, I have the biography the E Jean Carroll wrote on HST - it's a great read.

Seeing alll the RedBots on social media spamming about the stock market crash being the fault of Biden/Harris...

Meanwhile its just...Rich people finding loopholes and panicking once those loopholes change:

The sharp rise in the JPY/USD is causing a massive unwind of Yen carry trade positions and contributing to the sharp decline in US stocks. For those who do not understand how this works, a brief explanation

1. Many traders were borrowing Japanese Yen (JPY) at low, to almost 0% interest rates, converted them to USD and used this to buy US stocks
  2. Now that the Bank of Japan (BOJ) is raising interest rates, the JPY has strengthened significantly against the USD.
Japan’s government is engaged in a GIANT $20 trillion "carry trade“ - the funding of loans and foreign assets by borrowing low-cost yen.

Source: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/business/2024/08/04/markets/japan-stocks-investors-long-term/

Bank of Japan (BoJ) has held rates at near zero for decades, so big banks and hedge funds borrow in Japan for zero percent and buy up equities in the U.S. and Europe. Free money hack!

Right up until the exchange rate corrects and BoJ raises interest rates by 0.25% and everyone gets torched. It's called the carry trade, and "carry trade reverses". It's also why you're seeing the crypto market sell off, because people are selling their assets to cover for the losses.

Thanks Tom at Commsec

hipster GIF

Speaking of books, HST and Trump, I have the biography the E Jean Carroll wrote on HST - it's a great read.
I trekked half way round Adelaide until I found a copy of that when it came out. I've still got the first edition.

Seeing alll the RedBots on social media spamming about the stock market crash being the fault of Biden/Harris...

Meanwhile its just...Rich people finding loopholes and panicking once those loopholes change:

The sharp rise in the JPY/USD is causing a massive unwind of Yen carry trade positions and contributing to the sharp decline in US stocks. For those who do not understand how this works, a brief explanation

1. Many traders were borrowing Japanese Yen (JPY) at low, to almost 0% interest rates, converted them to USD and used this to buy US stocks
  2. Now that the Bank of Japan (BOJ) is raising interest rates, the JPY has strengthened significantly against the USD.
Japan’s government is engaged in a GIANT $20 trillion "carry trade“ - the funding of loans and foreign assets by borrowing low-cost yen.

Source: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/business/2024/08/04/markets/japan-stocks-investors-long-term/

Bank of Japan (BoJ) has held rates at near zero for decades, so big banks and hedge funds borrow in Japan for zero percent and buy up equities in the U.S. and Europe. Free money hack!

Right up until the exchange rate corrects and BoJ raises interest rates by 0.25% and everyone gets torched. It's called the carry trade, and "carry trade reverses". It's also why you're seeing the crypto market sell off, because people are selling their assets to cover for the losses.
Yeah i don't think any rationale/educated person is blaming Biden/Harris, but it is a line of attack many will buy.

Politically will depend a lot on how quickly it bounces back and recovers some of these loses.

When President Joe Biden withdrew from the contest on July 21, Trump had a 45.2–41.2% lead over Biden, so Harris has improved on Biden’s net margin by 5.4 points. By the election, Biden will be almost 82, Trump is now 78 and Harris will be 60.

Silver’s model gave Trump a 73% chance to win the election when Biden was his opponent. When the Harris vs Trump model was launched last Tuesday, Trump had a 62% chance to win. The model now gives Harris very slight favouritism, with a 50.5% chance to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

USA 2024 US Presidential Election: Trump vs Harris

Remove this Banner Ad

Back