USA 2024 US Presidential Election: Trump vs Harris

Remove this Banner Ad

Only a matter of time till they are voting for heads in jars like in Futurama

View attachment 2039772

I used to want Slurm as a kid.

Also
Hungry Space GIF by audreyobscura

Why bring up someone laughing? Trump is a terrible orator and debator. The language of a 12 year old will not defeat Harris in a debate.
Harris’ campaign seems to be centered around the idea of bringing some joy back to America. It’s an amazing tactic because Trump can’t feel nor understand joy, so he has no idea how to attack it.

Then there's the prospect of a Walz and Vance debate. Vance won't develop personability and charisma overnight and Walz has both in spades.

Vance either commits to a debate and gets annihilated, or he doesn't and Walz can annihilate him for being a coward.

In any case, it spells serious trouble for the Republicans in the three rust belt states that will decide the election (Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania).
Debates arent about charisma. Thats what rallies are about. Debates are about policy, logical argument and gotcha moments. Walz apparently is not good at debates. He even told harris he was a bad debater when he applied for the vp job.

For good measure, favourability polls:
It's rapidly trending the right way for one of them, and it's not Trump. He has no momentum and it's going to take something remarkable given the bounce from a failed assassination attempt hasn't even been sustainable.
How are these looking among voters in the swing states?

Debates arent about charisma.
It certainly helps in the current context. I'd say it's a strong part of what allowed Trump to walk over Biden in the first debate. Gotcha moments are important, but you need to be able to effectively execute on them.
These are from FiveThirtyEight, not sure they keep track of that.
Where would you place her.
I'd say she's moderate. Maybe moderate left. What radically progressive positions do you think she holds that would suggest she is far left?

Arizona
1723539864771.png

Nevada
1723539883990.png

Wisconsin
1723539903086.png

Michigan
1723539929034.png
Pennsylvania
1723539948352.png
North Carolina
1723539967776.png
Georgia
1723539983233.png

Keen to see what the next round of polls say for Harris (the momentum has increased since Mid July when some of these were taken)

But based on these if you give Michigan and Wisconsin to Harris
Give North Carolina, Nevada and Arizona to Trump.

Its 251 Harris, 252 Trump.

Pennsylvania would then win it for Harris by 1, without needing Georgia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decent comparison, that.
I decided to check her positions out cos I really don't give a rats and hadn't taken much notice. She's probably more centre than centre right and left leaning by US standards. Tho these terms are kind of weird and self referential.

Miles from Julie Bishop. She is quite pro worker and its hard to see her ever defending a company in court while they tried to get out of paying compo to their workers who got asbestos related disease.

I decided to check her positions out cos I really don't give a rats and hadn't taken much notice. She's probably more centre than centre right and left leaning by US standards. Tho these terms are kind of weird and self referential.

Miles from Julie Bishop. She is quite pro worker and its hard to see her ever defending a company in court while they tried to get out of paying compo to their workers who got asbestos related disease.

I dunno, she's very tied to the gig economy. Her brother-in-law ran the successful California campaign that saw workers in that sector classified as contractors rather than employees. And while I wouldn't judge someone from their family, she works closely with them and her sister was campaign manager of her 2020 campaign (and the aforementioned brother-in-law has now taken leave to assist). She's very much been in the pocket of Silicon Valley in her career thus far - a significant part of why Biden chose her as his VP.

Until we see Harris or Walz in a difficult interview or debate this whole perception of them is just created in Democrats heads.

Harris has done zero besides recycling a speech over and over.

Anyway should be a fascinating race. We have pretty far left and right candidate’s.
Walz has participated in televised debates in two gubernatorial elections and won both elections.

Whereas the more JD Vance appears in the media, the worse his unfavourable ratings get.

Which is quite something, when you think about it.

Would Trump try this caper on again if reelected ?

I dunno, she's very tied to the gig economy. Her brother-in-law ran the successful California campaign that saw workers in that sector classified as contractors rather than employees. And while I wouldn't judge someone from their family, she works closely with them and her sister was campaign manager of her 2020 campaign (and the aforementioned brother-in-law has now taken leave to assist). She's very much been in the pocket of Silicon Valley in her career thus far - a significant part of why Biden chose her as his VP.
Maybe. I honestly dunno enough to say. I can't see she'd get very far in US politics without having some business interests onside

Most of her social political positions are socially progressive but for me left v right wing is about money vs labour and who owns stuff, the state or private interests so I was surprised that she was more on the labour side of things and opposed some privatisations. She has pro union and pro worker positions which are a good thing and I didn't really expect that.

She's a politician so by definition untrustworthy imo. But I have to acknowledge I didn't expect to see some of the things she's advocated for and promoted and am pleasantly surprised by them.

Bishop was a lawyer when she did that so just a hired gun.

Policy-wise, Bishop and Harris align on a lot of the key differences in US politics. The comparison was more to show the OP that Harris is a far left loony like they keep claiming.

Thanks for that

The trend is very positive for the Democrats - the following highlights how far back they were and how much ground they have already gained

I do expect some settling but its positive to see - the final figure is the change since both polls were taken 1 week ago 2nd last column and 1 month ago last column

National46.6%
46.6%
43.8%
43.8%
4.1%
4.1%
D+ 1D+ 5.8
Pennsylvania45.9%
45.9%
44.0%
44.0%
3.6%
3.6%
D+ 0.9D+ 5.4
Wisconsin47.3%
47.3%
43.7%
43.7%
3.5%
3.5%
D+ 2.1D+ 5.4
Michigan46.3%
46.3%
42.5%
42.5%
4.8%
4.8%
D+ 1.2D+ 8.3
Georgia45.2%
45.2%
45.9%
45.9%
3.1%
3.1%
D+ 0.5D+ 10.3
Arizona45.0%
45.0%
44.2%
44.2%
3.6%
3.6%
D+ 2.9D+ 11.2

Debates arent about charisma. Thats what rallies are about. Debates are about policy, logical argument and gotcha moments. Walz apparently is not good at debates. He even told harris he was a bad debater when he applied for the vp job.
"apparently"?

You can just watch him debate.

Uses coherent sentences and everything. Seems very comfortable with policy. I guess he wasn't catchy enough. Too much being sensible.

I think there's a genuine possibility that Trump is scared shitless after the assassination attempt (and understandably so), which means he has no interest in doing campaign events. He's barely done any since. He's leaving it all to JD Vance, which is an hilariously bad idea.
He’s also the laziest f****r out there and loves to blame others when things go wrong. He probably thinks it’s a genius move.

He honestly sounds like he has had a stroke.
That might actually be his best option for avoiding accountability for all of his criminal actions.
They’d never jail a 78 year old ex-President who has had a stroke. It would be home confinement at worst.
He’d never admit to it though given his narcissistic ego.

Bishop was a lawyer when she did that so just a hired gun.

Policy-wise, Bishop and Harris align on a lot of the key differences in US politics. The comparison was more to show the OP that Harris is a far left loony like they keep claiming.
Bishop was hired by James Hardie to avoid paying compo to people who were dying from mesothelioma.

So based on that she does sound like the sort of person who'd take money to shoot innocent people.

Remove this Banner Ad

USA 2024 US Presidential Election: Trump vs Harris

Remove this Banner Ad

Back