USA 2024 US Presidential Election: Trump vs Harris

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, this all comes back to the US not having compulsory voting. Registering to vote is important and the first step to actually being able to vote. Linking to that site is perfectly fine. It's a civic duty that not enough Americans and others around the world do. If larger number of people voted then extremists wouldn't have a chance.

My thinking is obviously last century and am getting well and truly schooled. Was kind of thinking "Why did you register to vote?" Because Jimmy Barnes told me too.

The extent of my social media is BF and Twitter for Daily fantasy sport (that's gone to shit lately). Having no interest in Instagram etc probably means I am missing out and am unaware of much of this stuff. Until today I thought endorsements were just a look at me BS for US celebrities to get their name up in lights.

trump supporters on taylor swift harris endorsement: sad that people require a celebrity completely detached from reality to inspire them to vote

the pet comments are truly disturbing so i had to read a bit more to know where the hell this has come from and how much of anything there was to it. to my mind, it is definitely possible that that % of immigrants landing in a town could cause problems by way of their disparity or separation from the community (lack of employment, family, access to everyday things etc). but i've learnt that the photos/vids causing consternation are often not even taken in springfield, and one of the stories actually revolves around an american citizen eating a cat. even rupey's news.com.au points this out.
This is a trope that goes back to the 70s and Asian immigration

Stories of cats and dogs going missing from neighbourhoods with Chinese restaurants were very common. Then the same when the Vietnamese came over in large numbers

Its a dog whistle for racists to use

OK. I've had a lesson on Taylor Swift today. I don't think I have heard a song of hers. Maybe the youngest played some of her when at home but I had the father switch off. Might have to listen to some stuff.
I’ve obviously heard of Taylor Swift but like yourself don’t follow her or know any of her music, so asked ChatGPT for an age demographic spread of her fanbase. This was the answer I got…

Taylor Swift’s fanbase spans a wide age demographic, reflecting her evolution as an artist over the years. Here’s a general breakdown of the age groups in her fanbase:

1. Teens and Young Adults (13-25): This group makes up a large portion of Swift’s fanbase, particularly among those who connected with her earlier albums like Fearless and Speak Now. Her shift to pop with albums like 1989 and Lover also brought in younger listeners who identify with her relatable lyrics about love, relationships, and self-discovery.
2. Millennials (26-40): Many fans who grew up listening to Swift’s earlier country music followed her career as she transitioned into pop and then indie-folk with folklore and evermore. This group appreciates her evolving sound and often connects with the nostalgia and emotional maturity present in her later work.
3. Parents and Older Adults (40+): While this is a smaller portion of her fanbase, many older listeners appreciate her storytelling and songwriting. Some were introduced to her music by their children and became fans of her more mature themes, particularly in her recent albums.

Swift’s fanbase cuts across generations due to her ability to adapt her music, appeal to different life stages, and maintain cultural relevance through reinvention.

Having been anti-Trump since 2016, I still can't believe he mentioned Haitians eating cats and dogs. Haitians are legal immigrants and invited to settle in Springfield due to a shortage of labour. No other word but racist.

Back to the debate... .

Former President Donald Trump delivered more than 30 false claims during Tuesday’s presidential debate against Vice President Kamala Harris, CNN’s preliminary count found – as he did during his June debate against President Joe Biden.

Trump again delivered a staggering quantity and variety of false claims, some of which were egregious lies about topics including abortion, immigration and the economy.

Harris was far more accurate than Trump; CNN’s preliminary count found just one false claim from the vice president, though she also added some claims that were misleading or lacking in key context.

Harris's misleading statement was about fracking:
Harris said in the 2020 vice presidential debate: “Joe Biden will not end fracking”; “I will repeat, and the American people know, that Joe Biden will not ban fracking.”

I really don't want to watch it again but what did Trump say about wind, climate change and deserts. I sort of got lost in what he was saying.

He really blew this, all he had to do was concentrate on economy, less exaggerating on immigration and he would have done much better. But as usual, his ego gets in the way. Harris and her advisors even gave him a heads up what they were going to do.

Harris has still got a lot of work to do drilling down on her economic policies especially to win over more voters.

Last edited:
That may turn out to be the Republicans greatest error. Abortion was hugely potent as a calling cry to rally the base but actually overturning RvW has them losing support in a way they just didn't imagine it would and turned it into an even bigger issue.
Merely reinforces the low regard they have for women. Still assume they vote as daddy and hubby do. ‘Treat em mean, keep em keen’ is not an attempt at humour for them.

Wouldn't the Swift followers be all children. Are grown adults, who are allowed to vote, going to follow Taylor Swift at the election booth? Is that what the US has become?
Way to show that you’re clueless on the Swiftie fan base.

Wouldn't the Swift followers be all children. Are grown adults, who are allowed to vote, going to follow Taylor Swift at the election booth? Is that what the US has become?

Wait till you find out that Trump is a crisis actor, famous for a scene in Home Alone 2.

The concept of linking from a pop stars website to a voting website is quite scary. I kind of understand first time voters and young people but one would hope it is limited to them.

FYI. The reason Hulk Hogan, Dick Cheney, De Niro etc etc didnt pique my curiosity is that anyone that would follow them needs certification. I thought that would be a given. Now, and after looking further into it, Taylor Swift is obviously a Phenomenon not seen before.
She only linked to the registration site I think?

The concept of linking from a pop stars website to a voting website is quite scary. I kind of understand first time voters and young people but one would hope it is limited to them.

FYI. The reason Hulk Hogan, Dick Cheney, De Niro etc etc didnt pique my curiosity is that anyone that would follow them needs certification. I thought that would be a given. Now, and after looking further into it, Taylor Swift is obviously a Phenomenon not seen before.
Why is linking to a site about voting scary?

Please explain your fear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thinking is obviously last century and am getting well and truly schooled. Was kind of thinking "Why did you register to vote?" Because Jimmy Barnes told me too.

The extent of my social media is BF and Twitter for Daily fantasy sport (that's gone to shit lately). Having no interest in Instagram etc probably means I am missing out and am unaware of much of this stuff. Until today I thought endorsements were just a look at me BS for US celebrities to get their name up in lights.
She was masterful. The areas where she could have been stung, immigration, changing positions etc., she'd often given an answer on that but then finish with a dig (from memory, the Trump rally's bit that lead to the eating dogs response was after her immigration answer) that side-tracks Trump and he doesn't follow up/hammer the point that he should have made.

She was masterful. The areas where she could have been stung, immigration, changing positions etc., she'd often given an answer on that but then finish with a dig (from memory, the Trump rally's bit that lead to the eating dogs response was after her immigration answer) that side-tracks Trump and he doesn't follow up/hammer the point that he should have made.
On reflection, I agree. He lost the debate just as much as she won. (If that makes sense).

Well you would hope that someone of that age would have more reasons to vote than because Swift said so. I don't believe that is controversial.
Potentially. But this isn't about Swift just saying so. She's given her reasons and stated that if you think it is important to vote make sure to register.

My girls are right into her, her music is perfectly fine. Not my first choice on the rare occasions i get to choose, but certainly not offensive to listen to compared to other stuff they like.
My six year old has become a Swiftie and I’m getting plenty of exposure to her lol

I photographed her on her first Australian tour… a much smaller show than the mega productions her concerts are now. She’s not really my cup of tea but she’s a great performer and a talented songwriter - her songs resonate with her audience.

My six year old has become a Swiftie and I’m getting plenty of exposure to her lol

I photographed her on her first Australian tour… a much smaller show than the mega productions her concerts are now. She’s not really my cup of tea but she’s a great performer and a talented songwriter - her songs resonate with her audience.
I have three girls, 7, 5 and 2. The 7 and 5 year olds adore her.

I'm slowly getting them into 90's Hip Hop and RnB, but it's a process.

I have three girls, 7, 5 and 2. The 7 and 5 year olds adore her.

I'm slowly getting them into 90's Hip Hop and RnB, but it's a process.
Funny how Snoop has evolved from existential threat to national treasure.

Did you know that Trump has spawned a new genre of redneck hip hop called Maga Rap?

Remove this Banner Ad

USA 2024 US Presidential Election: Trump vs Harris

Remove this Banner Ad

Back