VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He played 3 AFL games in his first year and 16 in his second, kicking 29 goals across that period. Compares pretty well with Chook's half game in the same period.
Clarke first game was definitely not a great start but don't think we can judge him solely on that. Maybe the question marks came mainly in the first season for weightman and not the second like they are with Clarke but they were deffinetly there, I'd have to go back over the Weightman thread and check.

I'd be surprised if we didn't give Clarke another year. We've traded a couple of our picks out already and doesn't sound like we'll be too active bringing players in, so can't see us needing to make many list changes. Might've been in trouble if we were making wholesale changes but don't think thats the case.

Delisting a 20yr old after one pre season. That wouldn’t be what’s Sam power is about. 20 odd goals. Also a senior debut. Playing the hardest spot on the ground. We are crazy if he don’t get another 2 yrs. If we don’t I guarantee he ends up on another AFL list.
I expect he will and probably should get another year , but I personally have not seen any AFL level traits in him.

He's been the one getting first possession mostly and at times following that up. Still goes sideways and back too much for my liking. One example, there was a moment in the 2nd qtr where he received a handball running towards our attacking half yet decided to handball 5m backwards. Was under pressure but still would've been much better trying to take the game forward. Would like to see him take the game on a lot more.
The big issue for Sanders is that he is always stationary when receiving the ball. This means he is an easy target for the opposition and his possessions are always rushed or under pressure. He needs to use his legs more, both driving out of stoppage or around the ground so he can buy himself some space to make a good decision.

The big issue for Sanders is that he is always stationary when receiving the ball. This means he is an easy target for the opposition and his possessions are always rushed or under pressure. He needs to use his legs more, both driving out of stoppage or around the ground so he can buy himself some space to make a good decision.
He definitely knew how to move his feet as a junior. It will come.

I had to go out for lunch so I didn't catch any of the match outside of the first five minutes, I genuinely would have thought the replay would have been posted by now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weightman copped a heap of crap from supporters calling him a bust early days, yes from day one in the AFL side he showed his talent but he definitely did cop it before that

Arty Jones looks fantastic higher up the ground in recent weeks he’s building nicely now, he’s definitely not a pure small forward but a high half forward who can run on the wing. Remember the first game he played for the club in the preseason and he looked great running the full ground popping up in the backline and then forward line shortly after. That’s his game, he’s just not a stay at home small forward. I’d be pretty comfortable in him taking VDMs role, can surely do the unrewarded running we love so much but with a little bit more talent maybe?

Busslinger will be a premier defender in the comp, his skillset is just fantastic and he’s going to be a big weapon in future when his body is right. So smart, great run and drive, penetrating kick, reads the play as good as any. I actually love his defensive craft too, he’s comfortable at ground level, knows how to spoil and use his body one on one - problem is he’s just got no strength yet (although has improved tenfold since last year)

I don’t think people understand how hard it is for young skinny key defenders at the next level, and on top of that how debilitating a double shoulder reco is to come back from. He is travelling absolutely beautifully and has had a great season, I’m all for giving him the time he needs but bit of a joke we haven’t at least rewarded him with a game or two at the level just to keep him motivated and show him where he needs to get to. Absolutely brilliant young man and future leader though so im sure he understands.

He’s a genuine ripper prospect, people here are sleeping on him for sure.

Clarkes had a decent season, VFL small forward is a tough gig. I think we can write off his first game he’s never played that bad before it was pretty clearly nerves I mean the poor kid couldn’t even get the ball on his boot properly. Absolutely deserves another year or two, but to be honest I don’t see a high level player here - I think at best he could become a decent small forward scrapper but that’s fine we need that. He’s a ground level small, works hard, does his best work at front of packs and is selfless and high assist type, big tackler. We need that.

Basically he needs to get his running game to an elite level to make it as a scrapper small forward type at the next level and he’s a fair way from that currently, no stress in keeping him around for a couple more years though.

Honestly that was one of Sanders poorer games, way below the level of his previous few weeks. Thats okay though, this kid will be a monster in a few years. People always think ready made 18yo inside mids should dominate early because they’re ‘ready made’, no their body is big against 18yos but they’re coming up against 25yo men on the inside at the next level, it’s almost one of the harder positions to walk into and add value as a pure inside mid, look at your LDUs etc

You can have an early impact on the inside if you’re a runner, ie NDaicos. Not if you’re a slower first touch inside type like Sanders who relies on smarts & strength, unfortunately he just can’t really cut his teeth on the flanks or wings until he’s ready in a team that’s contending. But no stress once he’s ready for full time role inside he will be a monster.

This and the lack of penetration in his kicking is the thing about his game that I find really perplexing. I have to wonder if this conservative team first style is him player to instruction.

Because although he''s racking them up. I haven't seen much of the attacking game that had us so excited during the pre-season games.

He’s playing the way he was before we drafted him. He had a 1:2 kick to handball ratio across his U18 year. He’s a Tom Mitchell/Jack Macrae style mid. Back then, some people watched his U18 highlights and fixated on the one occasion in 25 odd games that he sprinted forward out of a CBA. He might be able to do that once in a blue moon but it’s just not what he is as a player.

Chat about Clarke reminds me of West more than anything. Copped a ton of shit, e.g. he was only on the list/people only wanted him picked because of who his father was, selfish, no AFL level traits, etc. Clarke’s clearly a player, but it’ll take time. Small forward can be a pretty tough gig.

Honestly that was one of Sanders poorer games, way below the level of his previous few weeks. Thats okay though, this kid will be a monster in a few years. People always think ready made 18yo inside mids should dominate early because they’re ‘ready made’, no their body is big against 18yos but they’re coming up against 25yo men on the inside at the next level, it’s almost one of the harder positions to walk into and add value as a pure inside mid, look at your LDUs etc
Matt Rowell and obvious exception to this rule though. I do wonder how Sanders would go in the backline playing the type of role Matthew Boyd played at the end of his career. My main worry is there’s not an obvious inside mid spot for him until Libba and Macrae go.

He’s playing the way he was before we drafted him. He had a 1:2 kick to handball ratio across his U18 year. He’s a Tom Mitchell/Jack Macrae style mid. Back then, some people watched his U18 highlights and fixated on the one occasion in 25 odd games that he sprinted forward out of a CBA. He might be able to do that once in a blue moon but it’s just not what he is as a player.
Fair enough. As somebody who doesn't watch U18 highlights at all. I'll put my perception of him during the pre-season down to a faulty memory on my behalf. It's been pretty clear since his debut that the players you mention are a good analogue for what he's likely to be. And that ain't bad.

Fair enough. As somebody who doesn't watch U18 highlights at all. I'll put my perception of him during the pre-season down to a faulty memory on my behalf. It's been pretty clear since his debut that the players you mention are a good analogue for what he's likely to be. And that ain't bad.

I don’t think your memory is faulty, I recall he kicked a pretty decent goal against the Hawks. I think it was one of those once in a blue moon scenarios.

If he turns into a Tom Mitchell/Jack Macrae style midfielder then we have big problems. Those styles of midfielders are being phased out of the game.

Caleb Windsor and Darcy Wilson (players drafted after Sanders) look much better prospects to me.

If he turns into a Tom Mitchell/Jack Macrae style midfielder then we have big problems. Those styles of midfielders are being phased out of the game.

Caleb Windsor and Darcy Wilson (players drafted after Sanders) look much better prospects to me.

That was exactly my concern before the draft but I’m praying that I’m wrong.

This was my thoughts before the draft also.

However someone posted up his u16 highlights and he looked a different player. Took the game on like I hadn't seen at u18 level. I'm hoping the club can get that out of him, looked like he had more pace back then and certainly used it.

That was exactly my concern before the draft but I’m praying that I’m wrong.
This was my thoughts before the draft also.

However someone posted up his u16 highlights and he looked a different player. Took the game on like I hadn't seen at u18 level. I'm hoping the club can get that out of him, looked like he had more pace back then and certainly used it.
Ditto ... and I may have posted as much. I'm hoping the recruiters knows more than I do.

As I keep saying he'll be a very good player - maybe a 200 gamer and hopefully all of those 200 with us and not with the Tassie Devils - but I still feel we gave up a bit too much to land that pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back