VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I know they have to draw a line somewhere and you can't have your cake and eat it too, but on the VFL finals eligibility rules - it seems odd that we had a few blokes who played against Hawthorn last week qualify, whilst having to drop a few who missed out on selection for that game due to form and instead had to play VFL.

Was a really interesting game to watch.

If the AFL aligned teams we were probably the best team of the season - particularly the last half. We have a very good VFL team - and came back and should have run over them. This is something to be proud of.

We better than almost any AFL team with the level of depth and so comments below are more about where it is not worked by. Side note - it may be that we have better depth but a better use is to have a smaller number of better teams players?

The game showed a bit about players. Here is a dirty dozen:

1. Poulter shied away in critical moments. This is a real black mark for me. Baker I think offers more but also drops out of games too much.

2. Friejah is an absolute steal - he is barely out of high school and made a number of our experienced players look average. 27 possessions (our most) and 7 marks.

3. Buss has been arguably our best VFL player. He got stitched up by High Dixon - who was never quite good enough to make it in the AFL. Too strong but also crafty use of his body and blockers. There is still a gap between LJizz and Lobb and him. This is not a crack at Buss - he is developing beautifully and will be established in our best 22 by the middle of next year. Lobb coming on has slowed his promotion but a preseason to get a bit more size and he will be there. JOD had a shocker in the final but otherwise his combination of size, speed and kicking makes him very handy. Looking good in the future for key backs.

4. Artie is getting better but it’s a slow burn. I still think he is worth persisting with. He will be a late developer but that is OK. He has found another strength in the air.

5. McNeil is 5% of being an AFL player. He lacks composure. I am sure he looks great at training when the heat is not on. Maturity will help but has big questions about whether this can change. He has a lot more confidence at this level but still doesn’t either own games or even his area.

6. García has fight - i hope he resigns. I look at our 2016 small forwards and they all had fight - Smith, Picken, Dixon and Dalhaus. García, West, Weightman and Jone - could have that same type of fight and I think we could build around that. Don’t want to go back to the good old days but want individuals with fight who play better under pressure - they want the fight. Much better than McNeil, VDM, Gallagher and Weightman. These are more skill and attributes but no contest.

7. Keath is a cut above but has slowed too
Much and doesn’t go for marks or own players like he used to. Have been a big fan but he is struggling - is great as an onfield coach though - something I have always liked to do.

8. Lachlan Smith - just looks so small - was belted by Crossley but he is a kids and will get size. He has great hands and when he adds more defensive marking he will be a very good player.

9. JJ looked rusty - did great things where he looks way above. Is the only (maybe Freijah) best 22 AFL player out there and looks that way but has no connection with the players and couldn’t really get in the game.

10. Clarke has bit but looks like he has lost a bit if his cheekiness! Plays too timidly. I see something there but up to him if it comes out. Overall forwards are a big weakness.

11. Bedendo looks well off even at this level. With Croft injured there really aren’t any tall forwards that are threats. We lost this game without those players. This is a big need for us. We are stacked at AFL level but have no body. The he young fella with the long hair is Ok but most other teams have two genuine rucks and a couple of tall forwards. Bedendo is a winger playing KPF and looked terrible. Could have wrecked his career but he doesn’t work hard enough for someone even with that much talent to succeed.

12. A few just on the fence: Harmes was well beaten by Boyd Woodcock (BOG again - how he isn’t on an AFL list is a mystery). Scott was just OK and below his standards as Mr Versatile. Cleary was just OK. These three should be doing better.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back