List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

People need to stop being seduced by mids, we have multiple on the list who can't even get a game. Unless there's a midfielder too good to refuse, we need forwards and game winners. Walters is retiring, Sturt is not guaranteed to reach his potential, Banners may explore elsewhere, and JOM is a role player that's getting old.
I am going opposite to this view.
First pick, especially if it is first round, always go for the best player

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

wonder what will walls target with these picks for can't get Bolton ( think Warner wont come this year)
took 2 small forwards last year (Simpson & Delan) will they take another?

Last edited:

In place of Treacy, Amiss or Jackson?

It makes absolutely no sense to pick a KPP player unless they are literally generational, like Buddy or Pav. It's a terrible allocation of resources. You can pick best available at the start of a build because you need everything. It's a fair bit more nuanced when you have most of the team.
this is possibly the first time in 20 years it doesn't make sense for us to draft a tall forward

Oh man, just crazy enough you can justify it while being giddy at the thought, sign me up

Do you think WC could get some draft concessions from the AFL end of next year if they are rubbish again?

Jake Waterman and Oscar Allen both free agents. If they are going to lose either of them you'd expect it to give them a top five pick again.

Pick #3 and F1 from the Eagles for #6 and #7

We miss out on two top ten picks, but we get the top five one and the deathride of all deathrides next year

Richmond or West coast or north may do?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

St Kilda need to add bulk talent too. You could rank all those sides by how desperate their coaches will be for an improvement too, with Ross Lyon and Clarkson right at the top of the seeking talent boost list.

WC would be the exact opposite, a new coach will want talent but doesn't come with the pressure for results. Richmond similar but slightly more pressure.

St Kilda need to add bulk talent too. You could rank all those sides by how desperate their coaches will be for an improvement too, with Ross Lyon and Clarkson right at the top of the seeking talent boost list.

WC would be the exact opposite, a new coach will want talent but doesn't come with the pressure for results. Richmond similar but slightly more pressure.
So Saints and Roos

So Saints and Roos

Adelaide as well. Those three make sense of actually wanting to do a trade like that. Whether more is required or if we would be interested would depend on where everything finishes I imagine

Small forwards. I know it's what we all want...

I won't go on about Joe Berry and Isaac Kako much, they're getting spoken about enough as it is. I personally have Berry around the 15 mark, Kako coming in slightly later around 20 - but they could perhaps go higher on needs. Kako is more opportunistic and 'fun', otherwise Berry has him covered everywhere else. He'd be my pick if I was using a first rounder on a small forward.

One interesting player for us is Tom Gross from Vic Metro. Probably plays his best football as a tough inside mid, but can play forward and seems to fit a lot of what we value. Throws himself in everything, tough, defensive pressure is high. Has good speed and impact value through the midfield, just not always the cleanest with his disposal. Might seem an underwhelming comparison, but Luke Pedlar from Adelaide went mid first round in his draft year and actually had a decent year last season. Gross does have more exposed form though, and there's also hints of Toby Greene in him - especially the way he goes for overhead marks.

Can't forget Malakai Champion, the West Coast NGA player. He's as purely talented as any, perhaps even more so than the others. Season so far has been good, great in stints but hasn't quite put a whole game together. I think he still fits in the 30 range.

Jesse Dattoli out of Vic Metro has had a pretty good year, 179cm half forward who has also spent time through the midfield and out on a wing. Has a tendency to try to do too much with the ball and can turn it over, but it's also not the worst trait - I do like smalls backing themselves in. He's very quick and always on the move, things just seem to happen when he's near the ball. A bit Switkowski like in that regard, just less refined. And one more from Vic Country, Rhys Unwin has returned from an ankle injury and could push up the draft boards with a good end to the season. Another with good speed, crafty in the forward 50.

And I've mentioned the SA smalls before. But Jacob Newton is in the Berry mould, whereas Evan Bradley and Benny Barrett are more the Kako type crumbing forwards. They've also got a couple of really solid mids in Phoenix Hargrave and Kade Herbert who may project more as forwards at the top level. There's a few late draft SA smalls who've made good careers for themselves in the last few years - Harvey Harrison, Brad Close, Kade Chandler.

Who knows what we do with our draft hand, especially if our early picks fall inside the top 10. But there's options throughout the whole draft.
Give us a Benny Barrett to go with our existing BB.

We then have double BB's to go with our triple J's

Do you think WC could get some draft concessions from the AFL end of next year if they are rubbish again?

Jake Waterman and Oscar Allen both free agents. If they are going to lose either of them you'd expect it to give them a top five pick again.

Pick #3 and F1 from the Eagles for #6 and #7

We miss out on two top ten picks, but we get the top five one and the deathride of all deathrides next year

No team should get a priority if they have won a flag in the last ten years. So Richmond and West Coast should be made to suck it up for next few years.

North are showing some green shoots but still have KP shortcomings so maybe some later picks again that they need to trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This rollback of the NGA´s is terrible. We are much better off showcasing our superior talent identification than we are hoping to win the Lotto.

Watching the early phantom draft and I might be softening slightly on my "**** the draft stance", it is an almighty ****ing haul and seeing Pie 4 Life pick up Trainor (I know, I told him what we would think of that), Reid and Berry with ANOTHER top 30 pick to come is pretty nutty.

**** I love this season, so much fun

In place of Treacy, Amiss or Jackson?

It makes absolutely no sense to pick a KPP player unless they are literally generational, like Buddy or Pav. It's a terrible allocation of resources. You can pick best available at the start of a build because you need everything. It's a fair bit more nuanced when you have most of the team.
Not in the top 10 or 12 picks. You have got to pick who you believe is the best player in my opinion.
Positional needs is the kinda thinking that led Brisbane to select Billy Longer at pick 8 in 2011 ahead of a talented young mid forward called Toby Greene.
“Oh we needed a ruckman” said the lions at the time.

Pick the player David Walls believes will have the best AFL career at whatever pick we have. We won’t go too far wrong with that approach.

Watching the early phantom draft and I might be softening slightly on my "**** the draft stance", it is an almighty ****ing haul and seeing Pie 4 Life pick up Trainor (I know, I told him what we would think of that), Reid and Berry with ANOTHER top 30 pick to come is pretty nutty.

**** I love this season, so much fun
It’s great for all of us nuffies on here. But let’s not lose sight of the end goal.
I’d gladly sit out of the draft first round for the next 6 years to see us win one flag at the MCG.
Trading is still the quickest way to that.

Not in the top 10 or 12 picks. You have got to pick who you believe is the best player in my opinion.
Positional needs is the kinda thinking that led Brisbane to select Billy Longer at pick 8 in 2011 ahead of a talented young mid forward called Toby Greene.
“Oh we needed a ruckman” said the lions at the time.

Pick the player David Walls believes will have the best AFL career at whatever pick we have. We won’t go too far wrong with that approach.
I draw the line at KPDs or KPFs because there is no way we think the player rated just behind them is so far off that we are better getting one of them to sit behind the players we already before asking for a trade for no opportunity in 3 years

I draw the line at KPDs or KPFs because there is no way we think the player rated just behind them is so far off that we are better getting one of them to sit behind the players we already before asking for a trade for no opportunity in 3 years
Yeah I can understand that thinking. I don’t mind Luke trainor though. He just looks like a pure footballer and probably more of a chapman or Ryan type than a genuine KPD. We’d find a spot for him no problem I feel

Yeah I can understand that thinking. I don’t mind Luke trainor though. He just looks like a pure footballer and probably more of a chapman or Ryan type than a genuine KPD. We’d find a spot for him no problem I feel

If we have three first/second rounders there’s probably an opportunity to go best available then still go with more needs based picks in the first/second round.

I don’t think drafting any type of player with one of those picks is necessarily a waste unless it’s a KPP/ruck tbh. People will say we don’t need mids but in three years I reckon we do to an extent - what’s the harm getting players in one or two years earlier than needed? Not much really imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back