List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I rate this kid above Joe Berry now - best small forward in the open draft pool

----

A quite remarkable performance from Ollie Hannaford who must have run Sam Marshall close for the grand final BOG medal even in a losing side. He seemed to have a hand in everything good for the Rebels, attacking contests hard, winning the footy and making excellent descisions with quality disposal. With his team facing such a deficit he would have been forgiven for dropping off his energy and workrate, or at least showing signs of frustration, but he never wavered in his energetic attempts to drive his team forward and create positive outcomes. This kind of performance on the biggest junior stage in the face of adversity franks his outstanding form through the back half of the Talent League season and should see his draft prospects significantly boosted.

Impressive.
He’s playing as a full time midfielder there by the look of those highlights though.
Reminds me of Brent Daniels

Impressive.
He’s playing as a full time midfielder there by the look of those highlights though.
He started the season as a small defender, moved up the field about 6 weeks ago to play small forward and had some dominant games including bags of 5 and 6 goals. This was his first game playing through the midfield. Feels like every stage through this season he's thrived with more responsibility and challenge.

Actually in this game he started as a forward, and GWV were getting absolutely smashed in the middle - they moved Hannaford on ball as what felt like a desperate move to trying something new and stem the bleeding, and you can see what happened.

Impressive.

That was my first impression too. Daniels, but taller. Daniels is a genuine midget at 172cm, while Hannaford is 180cm.

I think Carlton at 11 will be the other team in the top 16 picks that will be most likely to draft one of Berry or Hannaford.

The top picks probably more likely to be mids/talls, and Essendon have Kako. GC-Haw-GWS-Gee at 12-15 should not have small forwards high on their priority list.

Richmond the spanner in the works depending on what they get for Bolton and Rioli and their strategy/rankings.

All well and good but we are entering our window now and have list gaps to fill.

If we were rebuilding than yes this would be a great draft to set us up, but if we take all picks to the draft this year and dont fill gaps then we risk spending the next 4-5 years being port and then the years after that being St Kilda
100% agree. Hawthorn recruited Brian Lake at 31 years and then won three flags. Cameron to Geelong, Lynch to Richmond. All players that filled gaps. Bolton and Pickett would be perfect, don't care if we overpay a bit and trade away future picks. Need to take advantage now of the list we have built and that is not through drafting players who may take 3-5 years to come good, if at all. Let Walls get to work with later picks so we have younger players developing, but use our early picks to fill the gaps. Ps I'm fine if we get Warner but Pickett and Bolton would be ideal

He started the season as a small defender, moved up the field about 6 weeks ago to play small forward and had some dominant games including bags of 5 and 6 goals. This was his first game playing through the midfield. Feels like every stage through this season he's thrived with more responsibility and challenge.

Actually in this game he started as a forward, and GWV were getting absolutely smashed in the middle - they moved Hannaford on ball as what felt like a desperate move to trying something new and stem the bleeding, and you can see what happened.
What sort of small defender roles was he playing? Like a ball user rebounder type or genuine small defender.

Some of his ball winning stuff looked really good for first time as a mid at the level.

All well and good but we are entering our window now and have list gaps to fill.

If we were rebuilding than yes this would be a great draft to set us up, but if we take all picks to the draft this year and dont fill gaps then we risk spending the next 4-5 years being port and then the years after that being St Kilda
Plenty of teams in the finals had 1st and 2nd year players.

Cats - Humphries, Dempsey, Managh
GWS - Jones, Cadman
Lions - Fletcher, Ashcroft
Hawks - Watson, Dear
Bulldogs - Freijah

The notion that drafting means rebuilding and having to trade players in at a certain point in time of a list build is incorrect imo. Good teams consistently draft.

----

A quite remarkable performance from Ollie Hannaford who must have run Sam Marshall close for the grand final BOG medal even in a losing side. He seemed to have a hand in everything good for the Rebels, attacking contests hard, winning the footy and making excellent descisions with quality disposal. With his team facing such a deficit he would have been forgiven for dropping off his energy and workrate, or at least showing signs of frustration, but he never wavered in his energetic attempts to drive his team forward and create positive outcomes. This kind of performance on the biggest junior stage in the face of adversity franks his outstanding form through the back half of the Talent League season and should see his draft prospects significantly boosted.

He's going to get snapped up top 15 I reckon..

Have you seen much of Jasper Alger? I know he had a decent U18 champs, kicked 3 in one game from memory. I haven't heard much about him from the main draft rankings crew - but I saw a supposed recruiter on twitter have him ranked 22 right behind Hannaford (21).

Plenty of teams in the finals had 1st and 2nd year players.

Cats - Humphries, Dempsey, Managh
GWS - Jones, Cadman
Lions - Fletcher, Ashcroft
Hawks - Watson, Dear
Bulldogs - Freijah

The notion that drafting means rebuilding and having to trade players in at a certain point in time of a list build is incorrect imo. Good teams consistently draft.
If Bolton is requiring too high a trade price, grab Berry and Hannaford, and along with Simpson we grow our own solution.

If Bolton is requiring too high a trade price, grab Berry and Hannaford, and along with Simpson we grow our own solution.
That would be a crazy decision by the club - Bolton is clearly coming anyway by all account, and it should be possible to bring him in and still get one of those guys in the draft.

If we refused Bolton and drafted Hannaford and Berry instead, it would be 2029 before they are ready to consistently impact big finals. If indeed they are not busts.
I do agree we need to draft more forwards but not if it means we can’t get Bolton!

By 2029, Andy Brayshaw will be 30 years old and Alex Pearce and Luke Ryan will be just about done with their careers.

You can’t win a flag without trading in top talent. We don’t get many looks at top talent via trade so it just has to happen if we want to ever win one

----

He looks a pure midfielder. Has he been playing small forward?

Looked like a Serong out there

He looks a pure midfielder. Has he been playing small forward?

Looked like a Serong out there

Will trust your thoughts a lot more than mine. Perhaps he has moved around through different games.

Getting spanked by that much, I would guess a lot of forwards would push up.

Some of the tackles from behind were very impressive.

Kicked 6 and 5 goals towards the back end of the year in Talent league. (Plus lots of 1 and 2 goal games)

In this game, he looked to play a lot more forward.

Draft bolter Ollie Hannaford was the Rebels’ best player in defeat, with the small forward spending significant time through the midfield and recording 24 disposals, nine tackles and a goal.

Ollie Hannaford

24 disposals, 2 marks, 9 tackles, 7 inside-50s

Earlier this year, recruiters thought they might be able to secure Hannaford with a very late draft pick. That is no longer the case. Hannaford started the year well at half-back but was even better after switching forward in the second half of the season. In the Grand Final he spent most his time in the midfield against the likes of Levi Ashcroft and Sam Marshall and held his own. Hannaford has good burst speed, can break the lines with his run and bounce, wins his own footy and applies plenty of tackling pressure when the footy is not in his possession. He kicked the Rebels’ first goal of the game midway through the second quarter – a set shot on a tight angle from outside 50m.

Last edited:
That would be a crazy decision by the club - Bolton is clearly coming anyway by all account, and it should be possible to bring him in and still get one of those guys in the draft.

If we refused Bolton and drafted Hannaford and Berry instead, it would be 2029 before they are ready to consistently impact big finals. If indeed they are not busts.
I do agree we need to draft more forwards but not if it means we can’t get Bolton!

By 2029, Andy Brayshaw will be 30 years old and Alex Pearce and Luke Ryan will be just about done with their careers.

You can’t win a flag without trading in top talent. We don’t get many looks at top talent via trade so it just has to happen if we want to ever win one
Not sure what you're disagreeing with here.

Quite simply, the club needs to walk away if Richmond are asking for an unreasonably high trade price. And we can do that knowing that our Plan B is also a decent plan. That's far from a crazy decision.

I expect they ask for all our first round picks, or 2 + Switkowski kind of deal. Or even 9+10 is a massive price.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with here.

Quite simply, the club needs to walk away if Richmond are asking for an unreasonably high trade price. And we can do that knowing that our Plan B is also a decent plan. That's far from a crazy decision.

I expect they ask for all our first round picks, or 2 + Switkowski kind of deal. Or even 9+10 is a massive price.
Yeah that’s different and I agree we should walk away if they ask for something absurd but history says that the deal will get done. The house around this one is there’s good will and agreement between the two clubs already.

I think the most we could pay is 9 and 10 with some junk picks back.
Pricey but I wouldnt baulk at it.

I’d like to think that won’t be what we will pay, but I would say 9 & 16 for Bolton and 30 is reasonably ok and while some of our fans won’t like it - it’s the kinda deal a serious contender would do every day of the week.

In that scenario we’d still be able to draft berry or Hannaford with pick 10 (12) and can even still get another decent player in a deep draft with 27 such as Hamish Davis.

In a dream scenario someone like Murphy Reid could slide to 10 but it’s highly unlikely it seems

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that’s different and I agree we should walk away if they ask for something absurd but history says that the deal will get done. The house around this one is there’s good will and agreement between the two clubs already.

I think the most we could pay is 9 and 10 with some junk picks back.
Pricey but I wouldnt baulk at it.

I’d like to think that won’t be what we will pay, but I would say 9 & 16 for Bolton and 30 is reasonably ok and while some of our fans won’t like it - it’s the kinda deal a serious contender would do every day of the week.

In that scenario we’d still be able to draft berry or Hannaford with pick 10 (12) and can even still get another decent player in a deep draft with 27 such as Hamish Davis.

In a dream scenario someone like Murphy Reid could slide to 10 but it’s highly unlikely it seems
Can you give some examples? A couple of top 10 picks is rare air in trades.

It's more than the Kelly deal and around par for the Judd trade.

I would definitely baulk unless it included Baker or a significant second round pick.

Can you give some examples? A couple of top 10 picks is rare air in trades.

It's more than the Kelly deal and around par for the Judd trade.

I would definitely baulk unless it included Baker or a significant second round pick.
The salary cap space is the kicker that is a relatively recent trading commodity that may make a trade look more lopsided.

Off the top of my head -

Treloar went from GWS to Collingwood for pick 7 (2015) pick 8 (2016) and pick 65 in exchange for Treloar and pick 27

Shiel went from GWS to Essendon for pick 9 (2018) and pick 14 (2019), with pick 42 coming back alongside Shiel.

Close to home, Luke Jacskon and pick 44 & 67 in exchange for pick 13 (2022) pick 7 (2023) and an F2 second rounder that ended up pick 26 or so actually looks very pricey in hindsight.

The salary cap space is the kicker that is a relatively recent trading commodity that may make a trade look more lopsided.

Off the top of my head -

Treloar went from GWS to Collingwood for pick 7 (2015) pick 8 (2016) and pick 65 in exchange for Treloar and pick 27

Shiel went from GWS to Essendon for pick 9 (2018) and pick 14 (2019), with pick 42 coming back alongside Shiel.

Close to home, Luke Jacskon and pick 44 & 67 in exchange for pick 13 (2022) pick 7 (2023) and an F2 second rounder that ended up pick 26 or so actually looks very pricey in hindsight.
Oh I don't think future picks equate my friend. I mean not like the death ride wasn't fun, but pick 10 and F1 is not the same as 9+10.

Oh I don't think future picks equate my friend. I mean not like the death ride wasn't fun, but pick 10 and F1 is not the same as 9+10.
I value future firsts around the same value as the finishing position the year before.

I’d feel the same if we gave up pick 9 and an F1 for Bolton as I would if we gave up 9 & 10.

As we saw with he Jackson trade - you win some, you lose some when it comes to F1s

Off the top of my head -

The LJ trade:
15, 7, 34 > LJ, 42, 57
(It was pricey in the end. After making finals in 2022 it was expected to be another pick in the teens).

The trade of Shiel should end up being pretty close to the Bolton one

9,16 > Bolton, 39
9,14 > Shiel, 42

I value future firsts around the same value as the finishing position the year before.

I’d feel the same if we gave up pick 9 and an F1 for Bolton as I would if we gave up 9 & 10.

As we saw with he Jackson trade - you win some, you lose some when it comes to F1s
I would give 9+ F1 for Bolton in a heartbeat, I doubt Richmond would accept that and their fans would all have heart attacks!

Out of curiosity what do you value our 2025 first round pick at, if it doesn’t equate?

I would give 9+ F1 for Bolton in a heartbeat, I doubt Richmond would accept that and their fans would all have heart attacks!
But an F1 is probably the same value as pick 10!!!

I think a lot of people are allowing their impatience get the better of them when co side g the value of a future first rounder.

Remember this time last year we actively turned down pick 19 from the pies (their pick) in favour of their future first which has turned out to be pick 10.

Would you guys have said last October that pick 10 this year is worth more or less than pick 19 last year?

Future seconds and thirds are slightly different as they are more affected by buds and easier to obtain.

In my view future firsts are some of the most undervalued currency in AFL trading.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back