Under Age 2025 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2023 AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys will begin with a clash between Victoria Country and Victoria Metro on Saturday, June 10 during the King’s Birthday weekend in Victoria.

The first round of fixtures will be played across four states, before all ten teams converge on the Gold Coast where the final two rounds will be played from July 3 to July 7.

The 2023 AFL National Championships – U18 Girls will again feature six teams. Queensland, South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro and Western Australia will all field teams, along with the Allies, which will comprise players from New South Wales, ACT, Northern Territory and Tasmania.

2023 AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys​

Teams: Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants, Northern Territory, South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro, Sydney Swans Academy, Tasmania and Western Australia

DATEHOME TEAMAWAY TEAMVENUE
Sat, June 10Victoria CountryVictoria MetroIKON Park, VIC
Sat, June 17GWS GIANTS AcademySydney Swans AcademyBlacktown Int. Sportspark, NSW
Sat, June 24Northern TerritoryTasmaniaHighgate Rec. Reserve, VIC
Sun, June 25Western AustraliaSouth AustraliaTBC, WA
Sun, June 25Brisbane LionsGC SUNS AcademyBrighton Homes Arena, QLD
Mon, July 3GC SUNS AcademyTasmaniaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Mon, July 3GWS GIANTS AcademyNorthern TerritoryHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Mon, July 3Brisbane LionsSydney SwansHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Tue, July 4Victoria MetroWestern AustraliaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Tue, July 4Victoria CountrySouth AustraliaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Thu, July 6TasmaniaGWS GIANTS AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Thu, July 6GC SUNS AcademySydney Swans AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Thu, July 6Northern TerritoryBrisbane Lions AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Fri, July 7South AustraliaVictoria MetroFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Fri, July 7Western AustraliaVictoria CountryFankhauser Reserve, QLD

Last edited:
Thomas Burton had 27 disposals and 4 in50’s as he gets more midfield minutes for Western. Hussein El-Akchar had 5 goals in the same game for Calder.

The latter in our academy I believe. Handy to get a couple small forwards in consecutive drafts
Wreckon we are in for a bit of a blessed time with regards to NGA's.

El-Achkar the big name (hazard a guess he'll end up as good as Kako in his draft year), add Adam Sweid who was highly rated before his knee. Back at local level and kicked 6, 5, 3 from his last 3 games (Pascoe Valet 18.5's). I know Tristan Leeds had big wraps and another who has been injured so no football in his underage year

Add on Koby Bewick in 2027 and wow, good times

Annable was incredible in the QAFL Elimination final on the weekend.

23 disposals, 14 contested, 11 clearances and 7 tackles in a pretty red hot game.

Joe Kennedy was good for the oppo and 2024 prospect Caleb Nancarrow who has been ordinary for 18 months put in a massive last quarter than turned the game and nearly got his side over the line, his athleticism in the ruck was game changing.

Uwland, Patterson, Addinsall, Murray probably the main ones - all very handy players.

Uwland AA u18s this year as a 17 year old, probably tells you how he is going...
They've also all done relatively well in the VFL, all getting 10-20 disposals and 1 goal at least once in each of their games

Does GC have any highly rated academy kids for this draft?
Not knowing the strength of the draft field, they potentially have 2 kids who could be first round talents. Uwland almost a lock. Patterson has heaps of talent. Addinsall and Murray are at worst, early second round talents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At Mars Stadium for Jets vs Dragons.
Thomas Burton has 10 touches in the first quarter. McGuane has a goal and a few touches. Haven’t seen Jack Dalton get a touch as of yet.

Thomas McGuane - 1 goal, 28 disposals, 1 in50, 2re50s, and 6 marks.
Thomas Burton - 28 disposals, 7re50s, 2 in50s, 11 marks, 6 tackles.
Jack Dalton - 25 disposals, 2 re50s and in50s, and 9 marks.
Oliver Greeves - 16 disposals and 5 in50s.
Louis Emmett - 2 goals, 18 disposals, and 17 hit outs.
Hussein El-Hackchar - 15 disposals, and 2 goals.
Cooper Duft-Tytler - 14 disposals, 1 goal, and 22 hit outs.

Thomas McGuane - 1 goal, 28 disposals, 1 in50, 2re50s, and 6 marks.
Thomas Burton - 28 disposals, 7re50s, 2 in50s, 11 marks, 6 tackles.
Jack Dalton - 25 disposals, 2 re50s and in50s, and 9 marks.
Oliver Greeves - 16 disposals and 5 in50s.
Louis Emmett - 2 goals, 18 disposals, and 17 hit outs.
Hussein El-Hackchar - 15 disposals, and 2 goals.
Cooper Duft-Tytler - 14 disposals, 1 goal, and 22 hit outs.
Think our boy ends up as good a prospect as Kako this year.

HeH has been exceptional for an underage this year

Dyson Sharp was leading Central District seniors for Disposals and tackles, with 21, 10 and a goal. He also got 5 clearances, 4 in50s, and 1 re50’s.

Dyson Sharp was leading Central District seniors for Disposals and tackles, with 21, 10 and a goal. He also got 5 clearances, 4 in50s, and 1 re50’s.
Was a pretty special performance to win a final they had no right to win.

He’s a weapon. He always rises to the occasion, thrives on pressure and physical contact. Was at the game today, what a second half by the doggies and he was a big reason for it. His ability to get his hands on the ground ball and dish off quickly with clean hands is second to none. And he played the entire game on the half forward flank with those stats. Would have loved to have seen him in the middle. He’s good enough to be pick 1 this year let alone next.

He’s a weapon. He always rises to the occasion, thrives on pressure and physical contact. Was at the game today, what a second half by the doggies and he was a big reason for it. His ability to get his hands on the ground ball and dish off quickly with clean hands is second to none. And he played the entire game on the half forward flank with those stats. Would have loved to have seen him in the middle. He’s good enough to be pick 1 this year let alone next.
Very well could become a Richmond player in 15 months time

Which current day player did you think he played like

Very well could become a Richmond player in 15 months time

Which current day player did you think he played like

I’ve always likened him to Ryan Griffen from the dogs in years gone by but with a much harder edge and better overhead, better defensively and better at clearances.

New kid on the block Troydan Ross

A teenage talent from Yuendumu, who has been called the next Charlie Cameron, is making real waves in the Brisbane Lions Academy since moving to Queensland.
The Territorian, who is one of five siblings, hails from the community located northwest of Alice Springs.

He later moved to Cairns where he was based at the AFL Cape York House, before the Lions Legacy program reached out and gave him an opportunity to push further into the sporting industry.

Ross accepted the opportunity and now attends Marist College Ashgrove as a boarder and is part of the Lions Academy, where he benefits from funds earned in initiatives like the Lions Legacy round.

He said his grandmother had been his rock and greatest support growing up.

“My grandmother brought me up with love and care,” he said in a Brisbane Lions video.

“I just look up to her when I’m with her and not with her, she didn’t want me to be around bad people and she wanted me to (go to) school somewhere good.

“I’m loving it, it’s a really big change for me to come into Brisbane and train with the Academy and also get around all the AFL players.

“Being a part of the academy has made me become a strong person and got me one step closer to my dream.”

Ross’ talents have already been applauded by his coaches and those who have seen him play, with long kicks to goal a typical occurrence from the youngster.

Brisbane Lions player welfare manager Anthony Corrie said he realised Ross was a talent when he watched him kick like fellow Territorian Keidean Coleman.

“The first time I saw Troydon kick the footy was at training with some of the boys and I saw he could kick the ball like Kiddy Coleman,” Corrie said.

“That’s one of the exciting things about him, he’s a natural AFL player but it’s about giving him that exposure to the AFL level to get better.

The benefit of having
the Lions Legacy help provide that support will allow him to grow, learn the training requirements, what the gym stuff is and get him to eat well.”

The Lions play Essendon in the Lions Legacy round this weekend, which supports the Brisbane Lions Academy and the broader community.

By investing in the Academy and its participants, the club aims to improve the lives of those playing and working within the system.

Agree 100%

Shaping up to be a pretty good draft this one. Some of the talls are already showing plenty and I think Sharp has generational talent written all over him.

My current top 10:

1. Dyson Sharp
2. Archie Ludowyke
3. Louis Emmett
4. Riley Onley
5. Cooper Duff-Tytler
6. Fred Rodrieguez
7. Tarion Ah-Mu
8. Noah Hibbins-Hargreaves
9. Oliver Greaves
10. Cody Curtin

Remove this Banner Ad