Fixture 2025 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

ANZAC Day in 2025 is a Friday, so either Port or Freo with their Len Hall game will get the home Friday night game after Collingwood and Essendon, and the team that doesn't get Friday night, will get Saturday night.

As discussed in this TV deal thread, we will get 3 Saturday arvo games that are exclusive on Fox Footy in the first 8 rounds.

Call me crazy but i still much rather be 5 and 0 then 0 and 5.

I think 0 and 5 is less likely than 5 and 0 too. We generally start seasons much better than we end them.

We've finished the Home and away season top 3 4 out of the last 5 seasons, and we've got a heap of players about to enter their primes, i don't really see how we are going backwards.

So the outlier was 2022, but everything that could've gone wrong seemed to in those first few rounds. and we were pushing shit uphill for the rest of the season as a result.
Round 1: Playing against our bogey team in Brisbane at the Gabba and what were we 3 or 4 goals up deep into the 3rd quarter and then we lost about 3 or 4 players to injuries and got run over the top.
Round 2: Was a disaster, we seemed cooked and thought we were going to win that game without breaking a sweat. Disgraceful performance for the Russel Ebert Tribute match.
Round 3: I actually didn't think we played that badly for this game but we just kept leaving the door open for the crows all night. Boak misses a chance to ice the game, Houston then soccers the ball inexplicably into the middle of the ground in the dying seconds to open crows players, and then Mayes goes way too hard at that midget flopper Murphy with literally only a second or 2 to go. Flopper carries on with it, goes off and the ball ends up in the hands of the crows best kick who then kicks one after the siren from a tight angle with a late swing just inside the goal post.
Round 4: Brutalized from the best team in the comp at the time.
Round 5: Smashed in the first half against Carlton, Hinkley finally decides to shift the magnets and put Rozee and Butters on ball and we get within a goal of victory after being around 50 points down.

ANZAC Day in 2025 is a Friday, so either Port or Freo with their Len Hall game will get the home Friday night game after Collingwood and Essendon, and the team that doesn't get Friday night, will get Saturday night.

As discussed in this TV deal thread, we will get 3 Saturday arvo games that are exclusive on Fox Footy in the first 8 rounds.

ANZAC day game for one of the biggest games in our year.

I really don’t want St Kilda like last year.

I hope and want a big Victorian club down that week.

Personally, I want Carlton for that game.

It perfectly and does justice for the timeslot and event considering how important that week is, plus for the broadcasts, it’s a great Segway after Essendon vs Collingwood game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just shorten the season and take away the double up games. Solves so many problems.

Less is more.
Too many $$$ involved to shorten the season. Never going to happen.

Why can't we just start the full season earlier? I don't get it.

Agree, just have an opening round with all teams involved.

Sydney v Collingwood
Brisbane v Melbourne
GWS v Richmond
Gold Coast v Carlton
Kangaroos v Geelong (Launceston) cats can take the Spirit of Tasmania across.
Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs (Hobart)
Essendon v Port Adelaide (Darwin)
St Kilda v Adelaide (Alice Springs)
Fremantle v West Coast - they don’t like flying anyway.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In the short term yeah. Long term, I'm of the opposite view. I think a shorter season has the potential to increase the value of the product.
The NFL have that set up.

The NFL started as a 14 round competition in 1966 - first year of the super bowl and 26 teams. It became a 16 game season in 1978, there were 28 teams. In 1990 a bye week was introduced. It stayed that way when it became a 32 team comp in 2002, and then became a 17 game season in 2021 spread out over 18 weeks.

For a few years in the 1990s when it was a 16 game season, there were 2 byes before TV demands returned it to 1 bye week.

$$$ drove this increase, in season games and length, as well as the introduction of Thursday night Football.

Under US's Broadcasting Act, the NFL can't be broadcast on Friday nights, that is kept for School Football, and Saturday's which is kept for College Football.

That's why Monday Night Football became a big thing starting in 1970 on ABC with Howard Cosell and co.

The first week or two of Playoffs, the NFL have Saturday night games because either College Football season is over, or if some conferences have their play off game, ie grand final game, its during the day.

Once Tassie comes in completely do away with the pre season games and have a 27 game season. Play every team once and half the teams twice. The teams that you don't play twice in one year you play twice the next and so on.

Why can't we just start the full season earlier? I don't get it.
AFL decided late last year, after the success of Gather Round in a heartland football state, they have to do something to help out the northern states, especially with so little NRL to compete with because they played in Vegas.

They should do Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday arvo and Saturday night games so they have clean air in the Northern States, and then play 4 Sunday games in the southern states, use the daylight saving time difference with Perth being off daylight savings and start the game there at 8.30 EDST, or 5.30 WST and have one game on Monday night.

Or if that Monday is a public holiday in SA - play a showdown, or in WA as Labour is at start of March - play the Derby in the day and a Monday night game in Melbourne and that way only 3 games get played on Sunday if TV says 4 games on Sunday is too many.

Once Tassie comes in completely do away with the pre season games and have a 27 game season. Play every team once and half the teams twice. The teams that you don't play twice in one year you play twice the next and so on.
They will probably make it 28 games as they will allow for double up games for the local derbies in WA, SA, NSW and Qld, so they can then set in stone double up games involving the 10 Vic teams.

There is too much money at stake not to play 2 derbies per season in WA and SA and starting to get that way in NSW. Plus it allows for 2 double up games of Coll v Ess, Rich v Carl and Haw v Geelong which are big drawing crowd games and $$$ generation. The 4 smaller Vic clubs have to just wear playing each other twice, for no big $$$ gain.

They will probably make it 28 games as they will allow for double up games for the local derbies in WA, SA, NSW and Qld, so they can then set in stone double up games involving the 10 Vic teams.

There is too much money at stake not to play 2 derbies per season in WA and SA and starting to get that way in NSW. Plus it allows for 2 double up games of Coll v Ess, Rich v Carl and Haw v Geelong which are big drawing crowd games and $$$ generation. The 4 smaller Vic clubs have to just wear playing each other twice, for no big $$$ gain.
I did think that too, but thought for the sake of integrity that playing every team 3 times over a 2 year period would be enough even for rivals.

If it was possible to play every side and home and away each season that would be the fairest way of doing things, they could easily start the season earlier and have bigger lists to rotate players more but I doubt we would get all parties to agree to that. I think February and October provide enough holes in the Australian sporting calendar to make it happen if people wanted it.

If it was possible to play every side and home and away each season that would be the fairest way of doing things, they could easily start the season earlier and have bigger lists to rotate players more but I doubt we would get all parties to agree to that. I think February and October provide enough holes in the Australian sporting calendar to make it happen if people wanted it.

The way to make that happen is to shorten the games and play midweek football ala what we saw in the 2020 season. But AFL is a very conservative and unimaginative sport so that will never happen.

Have a 20 round H&A season. Everyone plays everyone once plus one extra derby/showdown. Next season just reverse the fixture. If they want more games, bring the stupid final knockouts (or whatever 9-10 is called). It's too fair, would never happen.

Unpopular opinion, but the fixture being the way it currently is is what makes it interesting every year.

Some teams get difficult draws, other teams get easy draws. Can a team that gets an easy draw take advantage and shoot up the ladder? Let’s see how good a team that gets a difficult draw really is.

Without it, you wouldn’t see that many changes to the ladder at the end of each year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture 2025 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back