Analysis 2025 GWS Giants - Predicted best 22, breakout player(s), general player/team discussion & questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice. With McMullin and Thomas out I'm probably looking to see if Gothard can step up and play that role rather than playing Keeffe.
Stringer we will have to see how his preseason goes...I'm quietly optimistic
I think we need to introduce Jake to Soul Origin, Subway rather than KFC, MCDonalds.
I just would worry without his family, gets a bit boring/ depressing hence food becomes an outlet. I wonder if we will see things like Jake going back to Melbourne midweek sometimes.

I think we need to introduce Jake to Soul Origin, Subway rather than KFC, MCDonalds.
I just would worry without his family, gets a bit boring/ depressing hence food becomes an outlet. I wonder if we will see things like Jake going back to Melbourne midweek sometimes.
Red Rooster. A Western Sydney staple.

I understood from the reporting that his current family were going to relocate to Sydney, while his two children and former wife remain in Melbourne.

B- H.Himmleberg J.Buckley C.Idun
HB- L.Whitfield S.Taylor L.Ash
C- X.O’Hallaran T.Green J.Kelly
HF- B.Daniels J.Riccardi T.Greene
F- D.Jones J.Hogan J.Stringer
FOLL- K.Briggs S.Coniglio F.Callaghan
I/C- T.Bedford, A.Cadman, H.Thomas, C.Ward, C.Stone

Emerg- C.Brown, L.Aleer, J.Leake, F.Fahey, N.Madden
I can't see that we'd play 4 tall forwards in Hogan, Cadman, Riccardi & Stringer.

I would say that our best team for 2024 had 19 or 20 guys who were fairly much "locks", and a couple of positions/players that were debatable (for various reasons).

Forwards: Hogan, Cadman, Riccardi (although replaced by Keeffe in finals, still my best 22), Greene, Daniels, Jones & ...

... that's the first debatable spot: there are arguments for any of: Brown, McMullen, Thomas or Bedford.

Defender: Taylor, Buckley, Himmelberg, Idun, Whitfield, Ash & Perryman (now vacated).

Midfield: Briggs, Green, Coniglio, Kelly, Callaghan, Ward ... and 2 of Bedford (if not counted as a forward), Peatling, Cumming (spent most of the year injured), O'Halloran.

So, straightforward, I'd expect Stringer to come in for Riccardi, Stone for Perryman. That doesn't change any of the debatable positions.

If we're struggling to find mids, especially with Peatling now gone, then Bedford might come in more permanently as a defensive mid, opening up a spot as small forward for several players to vie for. Gothard will join Brown, McMullen & Thomas in that jostle.

The second wing spot is open too, who gets it will depend on how Kingers plans to use the role: traditional winger, or more as another inside/outside mid. So those two spots are dependent on roles and the balance of the side, but Fonti, Fahey, Bedford, Leake, O'Halloran, Rowsten, Angwin and the new draftees would all come into play as options (depending on who we select at ND). I'd also opine that Jones could be thrown into an option to play wing (and I do expect Binga to run though the centre bounce more often in 2025 too).

So, I would see it as:

F: Jones Hogan Stringer
HF: Greene Cadman Daniels
C: Kelly Bedford Callaghan
HB: Whitfield Taylor Ash
B: Himmelberg Buckley Idun
R: Briggs Green Coniglio
INT: small forward, Ward, midfielder, Stone

small forward options = McMullen, Thomas, Brown, Gothard

Midfielder options = Leake, O'Halloran, Rowsten, Fonti, Fahey, Angwin, draftee such as Lindsay/Hannaford

I can't see that we'd play 4 tall forwards in Hogan, Cadman, Riccardi & Stringer.

I would say that our best team for 2024 had 19 or 20 guys who were fairly much "locks", and a couple of positions/players that were debatable (for various reasons).

Forwards: Hogan, Cadman, Riccardi (although replaced by Keeffe in finals, still my best 22), Greene, Daniels, Jones & ...

... that's the first debatable spot: there are arguments for any of: Brown, McMullen, Thomas or Bedford.

Defender: Taylor, Buckley, Himmelberg, Idun, Whitfield, Ash & Perryman (now vacated).

Midfield: Briggs, Green, Coniglio, Kelly, Callaghan, Ward ... and 2 of Bedford (if not counted as a forward), Peatling, Cumming (spent most of the year injured), O'Halloran.

So, straightforward, I'd expect Stringer to come in for Riccardi, Stone for Perryman. That doesn't change any of the debatable positions.

If we're struggling to find mids, especially with Peatling now gone, then Bedford might come in more permanently as a defensive mid, opening up a spot as small forward for several players to vie for. Gothard will join Brown, McMullen & Thomas in that jostle.

The second wing spot is open too, who gets it will depend on how Kingers plans to use the role: traditional winger, or more as another inside/outside mid. So those two spots are dependent on roles and the balance of the side, but Fonti, Fahey, Bedford, Leake, O'Halloran, Rowsten, Angwin and the new draftees would all come into play as options (depending on who we select at ND). I'd also opine that Jones could be thrown into an option to play wing (and I do expect Binga to run though the centre bounce more often in 2025 too).

So, I would see it as:

F: Jones Hogan Stringer
HF: Greene Cadman Daniels
C: Kelly Bedford Callaghan
HB: Whitfield Taylor Ash
B: Himmelberg Buckley Idun
R: Briggs Green Coniglio
INT: small forward, Ward, midfielder, Stone

small forward options = McMullen, Thomas, Brown, Gothard

Midfielder options = Leake, O'Halloran, Rowsten, Fonti, Fahey, Angwin, draftee such as Lindsay/Hannaford
Another preseason and Cads chopping out will be more effective

Last edited by a moderator:
Another preseason and Cads chopping out will be more effective
I was quite pleased with Cadman's progress in 2024. He hit a flat spot during the year, but that's pretty common with young players ... they can't remain consistent throughout a whole season. I thought he did better when handed the second ruck duties, so happy enough to see how he handles that in 2025. Again, if we try to have him do it for the whole season, he might run out of puff and need a rest, but I'll accept that.

If we can stay relatively injury-free in 2025, we haven't actually lost much from this year in terms of the best 22, it's primarily in depth.

The options for that final small/medium forward spot were all there this year, except for Phoenix Gothard who really didn't come into reckoning, but will next year.

There were arguments that we weren't getting enough out of Pez, so if Conor Stone can grab that opportunity, we might actually improve in the backline. But there's every chance that we'll degrade a little due to the lesser experience there.

The midfield is our biggest issue, hence why I was hoping for an experienced clearance midfielder to be added ... as it is, we're hoping for Leake to come on, and probably Rowsten too. XOH will remain in the mix, but I doubt he can fix all of his flaws at this stage, so will remain IMHO just on the fringe of best 22.

Last edited:
I was quite pleased with Cadman's progress in 2024. He hit a flat spot during the year, but that's pretty common with young players ... they can't remain consistent throughout a whole season. I thought he did better when handed the second ruck duties, so happy enough to see how he handles that in 2025. Again, if we try to have him do it for the whole season, he might run out of puff and need a rest, but I'll accept that.

If we can stay relatively injury-free in 2025, we haven't actually lost much from this year in terms of the best 22, it's primarily in depth.

The options for that final small/medium forward spot were all there this year, except for Phoenix Gothard who really didn't come into reckoning, but will next year.

There were arguments that we weren't getting enough out of Pez, so if Conor Stone can grab that opportunity, we might actually improve in the backline. But there's every chance that we'll degrade a little due to the lesser experience there.

The midfield is our biggest issue, hence why I was hoping for an experienced clearance midfielder to be added ... as it is, we're hoping for Leake to come on, and probably Rowsten too. XOH will remain in the mix, but I doubt he can fix all of his flaws at this stage, so will remain IMHO just on the fringe of best 22.
im not even sure we've lost that much in depth.
A lot of the players on the edge will be a year older with another pre-season and be better than those just outside the squad this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2025 GWS Giants - Predicted best 22, breakout player(s), general player/team discussion & questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back