Preview Round 15 2024 – GWS Giants vs Sydney Swans, Saturday June 22, 4.35pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changes considering Injury List:

Ash for Haynes (would have happened even if Haynes hadn't tweaked his hammie)

If Coniglio is declared fit, Angwin to sub, McMullin omitted.

On second thoughts and considering what others have posted, Cadman is in, but on his last chance.

It's too big a game to make such a move bringing Gruz in.

If Cadman is subbed out this weekend though, I reckon it's a given that he'll be omitted v Adelaide the weekend after with Gruz debuting.

Seems to be negativity about Cogs getting up for this game, so maybe just Ash for Haynes. That probably keeps the rest of the team the same - I agree that it's unlikely that Gruz would debut in this derby. Jones' speed would be nice, but he seems destined for VFL to test out his hammy.

I don't mind the idea of Peatling getting the sub role based on generally good form (but some known limitations). However, McMullin has been going well in VFL too, and OK in AFL, so he might hold his spot.

So, yeah, not too many changes expected.

Game Day guide from the club - there’s a post match function to meet the players as well as places for interstate members to watch (unless you are in Queensland and Tasmania!). Surprised the game has not yet been announced as sold out

Game Day guide from the club - there’s a post match function to meet the players as well as places for interstate members to watch (unless you are in Queensland and Tasmania!). Surprised the game has not yet been announced as sold out

Seated seating should be sold out within next couple of hours by the looks.

Looks like they're preparing to release standing room tickets (but the option to buy standing room tickets is not appearing yet, only the below message). Depending on how many standing room tickets are released and the demand for standing room, will determine when it sells out.

Standing Room Ticket Info
If you are purchasing a STANDING ROOM ticket, you agree to the following terms: 1.) Standing room tickets must stand behind the red line of the stadium to ensure back row patrons are not impacted 2.) Standing room is between Cumberland & Sydney Royal Stand ONLY

EDIT: Standing room just went on sale.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what i saw in the vfl, he's no taylor but derksen looked class, and i dont trust keeffe
Derksen seems to be progressing well in his new role in defence. However, given that we've got Buckley, HH & Leek Aleer all available and have been playing first grade, I would presume that we'll just keep them as the KPDs, and replace both Taylor and Haynes with small/medium defenders.

‘It’s becoming a marquee game’: The Sydney derby’s hard-earned spot on AFL calendar

Jonathan Drennan
June 19, 2024 — 3.50pm

Sydney Swans chief executive Tom Harley has a unique perspective on Saturday’s Sydney Derby.

Shortly after retiring as a premiership player with Geelong, he began working for the Giants ahead of their debut season in the AFL. His post-playing career now finds him employed in the east of the city.

Harley witnessed the Giants’ transform from humble beginnings at Rooty Hill RSL into premiership contenders who provide competition for the Swans on and off the field. The 28th on-field instalment of the rivalry will take place before an expected full house at Sydney Olympic Park on Saturday night.

“The first thing about the derby is, save for probably the first couple of years when, obviously, the Giants were coming into the competition, they’ve become really great games of footy, two really good teams having a red-hot go and I fully expect that to be the case on Saturday night,” Harley said.

“It is becoming a marquee game and there’s genuine on-field rivalry, we both understand the role that we’ve got to grow the game from grassroots and above but when you’re talking about just the elite competition, the AFL competition is fierce, and I fully expect a really strong crowd out at ENGIE Stadium.”

Both the Giants and the Swans have benefited from the presence of successful academies that have developed some of the AFL’s elite players in non-traditional markets.

Kieran Briggs, Harry Himmelberg and Tom Green are three key graduates for the Giants, while the Swans boast stars such as Errol Gulden, Callum Mills, Isaac Heeney and Nick Blakey.

The AFL is currently discussing the prospect of a change in bidding on academy players, which could mean that the Swans and Giants would have a higher draft cost to secure elite talent that has come through their academy, potentially missing out on elite talent like Green or Heeney.

Harley underlined the importance of the academies in NSW and Queensland and sees no reason to change the system, despite the Gold Coast Suns securing a record four first-round draft picks from its academy in Jed Walter, Ethan Read, Jake Rogers and Will Graham.

“Look I’m happy to go absolutely on record with this: I think the academies are the most important game development initiative for the growth of the game, certainly in Sydney and in Queensland,” Harley said.

“The reality is the current bidding process and the belts and braces that are attached to that, I think are absolutely adequate.

“The facts still remain we’ve got 25 per cent of our playing list from NSW which means 75 per cent aren’t and if you extrapolate it back, the academies have been going for 14 years we’ve had over 5000 boys and girls through the academy, only 24 have been drafted and a half a dozen of those have had careers like Callum [Mills].”

“About point 0.1 per cent of players who have come through the academy have made it to the elite [AFL] level and those other just shy of 5000 [graduates] have certainly contributed to the game, they might be volunteers, they might be coaches, they might be community players.

“To make a snap judgment off of the four Gold Coast players, which is what it feels like, I think it would be really folly.”

Ahead of Saturday’s game, the Swans marked 150 years of the club that began in South Melbourne, marking the milestone by celebrating a record 70,740 members.

Best of luck to Sam …he is owed some luck.

Great you folk are getting a close to capacity crowd… stick it up VicBias and no injury or suspension to either team.
It's pathetic the way some posters on your board are trolling Sam over the nature of his injury.

Ash played last time we went up against the Swans though.

However, I feel like our defence is looking a bit different than that game. We've been forced to adapt a bit. Idun's been thrust into a a bit more if an counter attacking role which he's done very well. Aleer's in which gives us a bit of a different look and Buckley was rebounding well in his first game back.

The fact that it won't be raining this time should help us a bit as well. I might be crazy but I reckon we have a real chance to take it up to them in this game.
we were well on top in that game and lost Green.
We had no Cogs and no Whitfield and the rain came

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back