Analysis 2025 GWS Giants - Predicted best 22, breakout player(s), general player/team discussion & questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway here is my go at it:

B- Himmleberg, Buckley, Idun
HB- Whitfield, Taylor, Ash
C- Callaghan, Green, Kelly
HF- Daniels, Cadman, Greene
F- Jones, Hogan, Stringer
FOLL- Briggs, Coniglio, Bedford
I/C- Aleer, Thomas, Ward, O'Halloran
Sub/After game entertainer & noted prop comedian: Fahey

That's a very good effort. However, a few points.

I saw Aleer play live in Geelong when he did his heroics, otherwise it has only been through TV. He does the giant leap, big punch/mark very well, but I still have doubts that he has taken that step from great athlete to good footballer. In the above team when he isn't acting as 'cut out' for Briggs can he play effectively anywhere else other than the 'third tall'/intercept in defence, a role that Himmelberg fills. To have them both in the same team may mean Himmelberg also plays 'cut out' ruck but then either a tall winger or stints forward such as when Hogan/Cadman is resting.

Also could Brown be tried as a midfielder particularly to fill the role of Green when he's resting. Brown when on his game is a mercurial footballer and he might give us the heft which we seemed to miss in contested ball when Green was either resting or down on form (some have Callaghan stepping up for that role). If so Brown would be in front of O'Halloran.

Lastly, if you are going to use the above criteria for Subs/after game, do we need to bring Cooper Hamilton back as a Player Development coach?

That's a very good effort. However, a few points.

I saw Aleer play live in Geelong when he did his heroics, otherwise it has only been through TV. He does the giant leap, big punch/mark very well, but I still have doubts that he has taken that step from great athlete to good footballer. In the above team when he isn't acting as 'cut out' for Briggs can he play effectively anywhere else other than the 'third tall'/intercept in defence, a role that Himmelberg fills. To have them both in the same team may mean Himmelberg also plays 'cut out' ruck but then either a tall winger or stints forward such as when Hogan/Cadman is resting.

Also could Brown be tried as a midfielder particularly to fill the role of Green when he's resting. Brown when on his game is a mercurial footballer and he might give us the heft which we seemed to miss in contested ball when Green was either resting or down on form (some have Callaghan stepping up for that role). If so Brown would be in front of O'Halloran.

Lastly, if you are going to use the above criteria for Subs/after game, do we need to bring Cooper Hamilton back as a Player Development coach?

Clearly I rate Aleer a lot higher than you do and feel his skill set allows him to fill in at different areas of the ground and just like Leon did back in the day I like having that extra tall defender.
On Brown his a power athlete who lacks the tank but could do the odd centre bounce and hopefully he can rediscover form after losing his way after getting suspended. On Cooper - it was good enough for Sam Reid for a while, so why the hell not.

Left field thought.
He were to play Aleer in Perryman role.
With Idun moving to the small forwards.
He could pinch hit as the extra ruck.
The drawback with that is that Perryman usually plays about 15 % midfield.
With those minutes, could Buckley pinch hit on the wing.
We'd be very tall down back, but all the talls are mobile.
Not sure if I like it, but it solves the second ruck issue.

Left field thought.
He were to play Aleer in Perryman role.
With Idun moving to the small forwards.
He could pinch hit as the extra ruck.
The drawback with that is that Perryman usually plays about 15 % midfield.
With those minutes, could Buckley pinch hit on the wing.
We'd be very tall down back, but all the talls are mobile.
Not sure if I like it, but it solves the second ruck issue.
Do you mean Idun plays the Pez role and we bring Leek in?

Do you mean Idun plays the Pez role and we bring Leek in?
Redistribution of the Perryman role I guess. Leek comes in plays 2nd and 3rd tall. Pinches in the ruck.
Idun plays on the small forwards more often than he does now(similar to Perryman)
Buckley plays the midfield minutes that Perryman normally does.(But on a wing)

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2025 GWS Giants - Predicted best 22, breakout player(s), general player/team discussion & questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back