Roast 2025 hopefully the year of being less shit. Warning includes club criticisms

When will Matthew Nicks be sacked?

• Before the end of 2022

• End of 2022

• Middle of 2023

• End of 2023

• Middle of 2024

• End of his contract (2024)

• He will last beyond his current contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The delusional level must be pretty high if you think our rebuild is finished. In your mind should we get a 29 year old key defender in from another club for a tilt at the 2024 flag?

We were "pretty good" in the 2000's but didn't get a flag. You might be happy getting 12-13 wins a season but its not going to do us any good. Its not 97/98 any more, we cant just rely on a weaker year and the best team kicking 6.15 in a half of footy.

It takes time and lots of preseasons to develop a whole new midfield, stop thinking its just a matter of whacking in Hately, Pedlar, Soligo, Cook Rachele et al and it magically working somehow.

Everybody just assumes a rebuild is designed to build a list capable of competing in the top 4 and giving us genuine multiple chances at a flag. That's certainly one form of one and it requires accepting some current pain for future benefit. We've not once accepted any current pain at selection. We only drop senior players when their form has been bad for weeks and weeks and even then, we're always waiting for the first opportunity to get them back in.

Our rebuild is done, yes we'll get better as our younger players get more games into them, but what you are seeing is a best 22 that will be taking us forward over the next few years. 75% of midfield is locked in for the duration. The 4th spot will be changed out here and there, but the big 3 won't be. Our version of a rebuild is to build a 22 and squad that can compete for the 8 and that's what we've currently got. We only need to get a little bit better and we can make the 8.

Here's a quote from you from less than a week ago. And here you are now saying that we can't possibly go in with a midfield that doesn't include Keays, Laird and Crouch for their entire TOG. And I'm not remotely interested in any 29 year olds, let alone a KPD. Butts is doing fine, Murray is developing ok to my eye and if we're unhappy with him, we might as well cycle through Borlase and Worrell as the second KPD before delisting them. Hell, we gave Billy a crack there and he can't defend for shit, Himmelberg is good when the ball hits the deck, why not give him a few there too. Instead we're sticking with as much continuity as possible, cycling junior players in and out as we've always done and showing near infinite patience for out of form or injured seniors purely in the hope of minimising losses or snatching an extra couple of meaningless 4 points.

Hately has been great since he came back into the side, genuinely stoked for him.
Getting some contested footy, getting forward and laying some tackles.
When Soligo adds more muscle and fitness he will be a big part of our side.
Chayce Jones should be sub all the time, had more touches and impact in 7 minutes of footy then I have seen for entire halves of footy, I wish he would step up, he these tools but seems to not use them.
Laird and Keays just dont do any damage

Fogarty is starting to play a lot better. More involved at least.

I read the other threads and that's enough, they ALL get inundated by you and your "the sky is falling and people must pay" group.

I do like you mate, despite our differences... But if footy makes you this angry then why bother watching ??
So why are you reading this one then?

If anything if there’s one thread which allows posters to vent which might take away from the other threads is that a bad thing?

I’ve grown up with footy since I was 5. I want my team to make good decisions and be successful, do I stop following footy because they can’t? Is that the option?

????..

Its not the young players inconsistency thats the major problem..

Its the utter garbage currently being dished up by the older firm of crouch, laird, keays, smith, Brown (when he’s out there) thats the major problem Bernie..

I agree with Crouch and Brown.

So why are you reading this one then?

If anything if there’s one thread which allows posters to vent which might take away from the other threads is that a bad thing?

I’ve grown up with footy since I was 5. I want my team to make good decisions and be successful, do I stop following footy because they can’t? Is that the option?
TBH it's the sheer anger with which you are posting, it can't be healthy for you to watch.

Why do you keep bringing up the 2000s as if it’s some form of example when we had the side to win at least one flag? Blame 2005 on Roo getting suspended and Craig not tagging Harvey and the decision to recruit Carey instead of bringing Pav back.

As for the midfield it’s called developing a midfield during a rebuild, not going with average senior players and not giving your young mids some exposure. That’s just an obvious issue that surely you can comprehend.

taking a full strength side to a dead rubber in Perth in the final round of the year is such a Neil Craig thing to do. Gotta get the 4 points and continuity credits. Ask yourself, what would Nix do given the same circumstances.

Even the game day thread only has 650 posts, normally way north of 1,000

22,000 at the ground

Fairly low interest everywhere by the looks
Was Pokemon Go Fest...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, we are. Here's a very surface level blueprint for how to get out of it.

Delist: Himmelberg, Davis, Frampton, Borlase, Newchurch, Turner (barring something unexpected), Newchurch
Re-sign: Parnell, Tex, Rowe, Hinge & Nankervis to ONE year deals
Extend: Butts (2-3 years), Doedee (whatever it takes)
Retire: Seedsman
Consider: Gollant
Place up for trade, sell to any bidder for no fee who will absorb contract: McPherson, Murphy, Brown, Crouch
If no bidders, pay the contract out of Crouch and one of Murphy/McPherson. Keep Brown for 'mentoring' and retire him end '23
Enter 2023 with Sloane (retire?), Tex, Brown?, Strachan, McAdam, Rowe, Fogarty, Hinge as more senior heads out of contract & Nankervis, Taylor, Parnell, Worrell, Schoenberg, Hately, McAsey, Murray as whipper snappers out of contract. There won't be space for them all. They know it.

Move Laird back to the backline. He's fine there. He steels it up. Into the middle if injuries require, but he's not the man anymore.
Crouch won't be playing football for us, or if he is, in the magoos.
Keays to lead the onball brigade, definitely Berry & hopefully Hately supplementing, with 2 spots left open for kids to aspire to. Schoenberg if he gets his act together, Pedlar and Soligo hopefully. Maybe Taylor.
Take 4-5 draft picks, minimum. Best available at all costs provided that if they're a sub 6'1 midfielder, they're either a bloody good user or nippy as duck.
Aggressively target out of contract players to supplement the list. Some targets would be

• Liam Stocker @ Carlton. As aggressive, tenacious and fierce a player as I've seen. He makes players HURT. He's not a great backman, it's not his jam, but he's been forced there by Carlton because their mids run deep. As a back, he's still an upgrade on what we've got, but this is a kid who plays a crazy aggressive brand of football and won the morrish medal as an u/18 doing it. I reckon he'd be a great fit in our midfield.
  • Aaron Francis @ Adelaide. He's a stop gap, but I believe if released to play as a 4th defender he can be a stronger player than we've seen. Likely to be free. Worth the punt given the state of our list & his upside.
  • Tanner Bruhn @ GWS. This one is a hit in hope. He was that upset to be drafted to GWS I suspect if he goes it's to Victoria. But who knows, money talks. He won't fit into their midfield, but he's what's missing from ours. Super agile, evasive, good burst, lateral movement, creates space, plays the game at a frenetic intensity, creative ball user. A good midget.
  • Tyler Brockman @ Hawthorn. Seems out of favour and uncontracted. But feels like he'd add some freakishness to our vanilla forward mix.
  • Toby Bedford @ Melbourne. See above for Brockman. Kid looks like he's got too much impact forward of centre to waste his career as a lifelong sub.
  • Angus Brayshaw @ Melbourne. This is the one. This is who we should be throwing 900k at. I don't care if it's overs. He's 26, so he'll get us through the next 4-5 years while the young kids grow but as that 28-32 core age out of the system. He's a terrific half back/defensive winger who probably does more team-first actions than any player in the league and knows how to win. Valuable wisdom from an elite setup to teach our lads. But he's finished top 3 in a brownlow as an inside mid. So get him in and play him there. He's won a flag, cash might talk.
****. Newchurch is so bad he got delisted twice!!!

Hately was getting midfield minutes but they dried up so we could get Crouch back in. Hately was playing wing, it’s not his natural position. He’s not a run and carry wing, he’s not quick, he doesn’t have a penetrating leg. He’s an inside mid. Soligo has all the tools to be a great inside mid. Instead of Dawson playing wing he was deep in defence. Berrys midfield minutes are drying up with Crouch’s return.

You post belongs with:

“You’re not a true supporter”
“How many games of afl have you played”
“You don’t see their training form”
“Coaches know best”
“Back the boys in to respond”

davos44 knows our midfield is a major issue, he's just doesn't think we should be allowed to have the same opinion.

????..

Its not the young players inconsistency thats the major problem..

Its the utter garbage currently being dished up by the older firm of crouch, laird, keays, smith, Brown (when he’s out there) thats the major problem Bernie..

Persisting with Sloane in the midfield for weeks. Carrying a shitful ROB and then bringing him back after 1 SANFL game. We got the pride spike but now it's back to cruise mode because he knows his spot is safe for weeks. Plus coaching strategy issues re too short in defence, shallow midfield rotation, abhorrent entry strategy designed designed to minimise damage on turnover.

Because we've got a review thread and several others detailing where people think we are at, it's unnecessary.

It's what makes this place an incredibly tiresome place to be at times.

go to the positives thread, if there's room for you that is. I hear it's nearly got the BF servers redlining.

Keays would be leading our B&F. How the duck can you pin anything on him for our current situation? What more do you want from him?

I doubt he's polled too well the last 3-4 games. I expect Laird and Dawson will have moved past him. That said, Nix B&F methodology is that you can get maximum votes for playing your role to an elite level, game impact is assumed to be impacted commensurately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast 2025 hopefully the year of being less shit. Warning includes club criticisms

Back