AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! 🤙 - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree it’s sad. While I don’t think the decline of a loyal servant should mean he is immune to criticism, there’s a point where it feels like sinking the boots in. I’ve tried to pull back myself from flogging a dead horse and I think Dyson relinquishing the captaincy has helped ease the tension a bit. The noise will come back quickly from the fan base if he has more than 1 or 2 howlers. It would be great if his exit as a player, whenever that is, happens gracefully and positively.

I think howler is a tad harsh. His issue he just really struggles to impact when the opposition have it or when it’s in dispute.

I mean there is still some value in him running around and getting to the right spots. He should have had two goals if he wasn’t extremely unselfish and he covers plenty of ground.

I agree it’s sad. While I don’t think the decline of a loyal servant should mean he is immune to criticism, there’s a point where it feels like sinking the boots in. I’ve tried to pull back myself from flogging a dead horse and I think Dyson relinquishing the captaincy has helped ease the tension a bit. The noise will come back quickly from the fan base if he has more than 1 or 2 howlers. It would be great if his exit as a player, whenever that is, happens gracefully and positively.
I see it differently, but that might be me having my blinkers on. Haven't seen much criticism of him as a person which is what we see with whipping boys. Don't see much criticism of his efforts either, just that his body struggles to keep up with the intensity he's had in previous years.

He's been a great servant of the club, and I would've loved to eat my words and admit I was wrong if he smashed it this year. Expect he'll get slightly less attention on his efforts this year as he's not the captain of the club.

Agree with your last point. Hope he stays fit and gets a farewell game whenever his time is up and he can soak in the sound of the fans cheering for him one last time.

Granted I don’t go to training and I’m taking a small sample size but we over possess at training which means we’ll bring it into a game. Perhaps there’s a longer term strategy that isn’t clear but I’ve always known it to be “train the way you want to play” etc.

Last edited:
I don't have any issues with them asking Mass to improve his 1v1 defending, it does need to improve. The issue is they then play Langford back who is an even worse 1v1 defender. Not sure thats the right message to be sending - if you want to play you need to improve your defending but until you do that we'll play a forward/wing back who can defend as well as you.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Season 1 Episode 3 GIF by Sony Pictures Television

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Todays game speaks for itself…..Subbing off suggests Scott won’t shirk the hard call.
That was the first test, the next is dropping him. It stood out today how far he is off it. Stringer, hobbs, guelfi putting their hands up for a spot in the 22. We can’t afford to carry him.

He was the right guy for the right moment and I will be a sobbing mess when we have to say goodbye.
It's over, but it's refreshing that we finally acknowledge it's time for a killer instinct. Small sample size but when Zach goes they all go with him.

I think the thing that stamped his papers today was when he had the ball in the forward half of the square and was too slow in moving it on. Turned what was a certain a goal scoring opportunity into a turnover.

Before that, I actually thought he was going alright. Definitely didn't disagree with Scott subbing him out for Guelfi though.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the thing that stamped his papers today was when he had the ball in the forward half of the square and was too slow in moving it on. Turned what was a certain a goal scoring opportunity into a turnover.

Before that, I actually thought he was going alright. Definitely didn't disagree with Scott subbing him out for Guelfi though.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app
That handball forward, while running (to Shiel?). Didn't make half the distance it should have.

Goodnight Sweet Prince.

You could see it on his face after being subbed out, he knows the end is nigh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! 🤙 - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back