AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

That handball forward, while running (to Shiel?). Didn't make half the distance it should have.
Yep, to Shiel. Those surprising little skill errors come out when you have to operate at 110% just to be in the contest. That moment to me was the death knell.

Today was a bit like when grandpa gets on the dance floor. Commendable effort but sooner or later he's gonna trip over and do a hip.

Poor fella. Wants success, deserves success but will miss it all.

From Scottā€™s presser sounds like heā€™ll be backed in from the whole season.

And some of the questions from the journos, they must be blind.
Nah, Scott knows.

Everything he said in the presser allows him to leave Heppell out for good stretches (starting next week). And if he can't get back.. he can't.

I think the thing that stamped his papers today was when he had the ball in the forward half of the square and was too slow in moving it on. Turned what was a certain a goal scoring opportunity into a turnover.

Before that, I actually thought he was going alright. Definitely didn't disagree with Scott subbing him out for Guelfi though.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep. Had me yanking my hair out.

I've been his staunchest supporter but that was inexcusable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the thing that stamped his papers today was when he had the ball in the forward half of the square and was too slow in moving it on. Turned what was a certain a goal scoring opportunity into a turnover.

Before that, I actually thought he was going alright. Definitely didn't disagree with Scott subbing him out for Guelfi though.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Same. He had 3 or 4 options and didn't hit any of them.

Scott addressed this in the presser by basically saying he didn't want to advertise the sub decision to the opposition coaches

Yeah thatā€™s a cop out.

I like Scott.
And subbing Heppell was the right call.
And I donā€™t necessarily believe a coach has to contact a player about being subbed.

But to say ā€œto avoid giving opposition info on tacticsā€ or whatever. Thatā€™s a cop out

Yeah thatā€™s a cop out.

I like Scott.
And subbing Heppell was the right call.
And I donā€™t necessarily believe a coach has to contact a player about being subbed.

But to say ā€œto avoid giving opposition info on tacticsā€ or whatever. Thatā€™s a cop out
There's a graceful way to handle messy situations like this.

Many options
Dont want to advertise
Rest him for next week
Dusty subbed

Scott did alright. Ill be surprised if hepp plays the saints next week.

Eh. Having actually watched the press conference;
  • Wanted to take a wing rotation off
  • Choice between 2-3 players
  • Wanted to add a bit of run
  • Wanted to get Guelfi on
  • Wanted to manage Hepp through the season so managing his minutes. Hopefully plays at least 3/4 of the season, maybe even every game like he did last year
  • Still hadnā€™t spoken to Hepp about it but Hepp is the most team oriented person heā€™s ever come across and will play his role.
  • Acknowledged that Hepp has probably never been subbed out in his life, but pointed out Dusty got subbed out in the Richmond game (could be a new reality of a sub that isnā€™t just a medi-sub)
  • ā€œYou never telegraph a subā€

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back