AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! 🤙 - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree,

You are allowed to move on. Doesn't mean they are not disappointed.

Are they supposed to mope around all week and be negative?

Would prefer a more stolid demeanour, which can still carry focus/motivation. It’s a better tone for mine.

Last edited:
Genuine carry-on from a lot of people – are you going to tell your kids or wife to stop smiling because they have a bad day at work?
Couldn't agree more. Total joke. I mean we were all pissed watching that game, have any of you smiled since? If you have, clearly you don't really care. That's how it works right?

unfortunately the bar for effort is so low among our senior guys that simply giving a shit is enough to get games (see jake kelly), hopefully the rot is cleaned out soon and we don’t have to keep doing this (still love u as a person hepp 🤟)

i mean hepp jogs around because his body is held together by sticky tape and a dream, whereas our number one draft pick and vice captain jogs around because he’s planning his next podcast

You monster
marge simpson GIF

There are plenty of reasons to question the re-signing, but the timing is bizarre.

Like, did they think this was the good news-puff piece they could use to polish a 126-point-loss-of-a-turd they laid on saturday?

Why not wait till during trade period to see how list spots are going? Who's going to snare him from under our noses?

Weird.
Not sure why it was announced this week, hangs him out to dry and cop more than he already would. It has been agreed for a couple of weeks.

Re: why not wait until trade period/list spots scenario, I think like many other blokes coming to the end of their career, their management includes clauses to know prior to end of season whether there will be another contract or not so they can decide if they retire, explore options, have a farewell game etc.

Listened to Mitch Wallis (who's mates with Dyson) on Tom Sheridan's podcast and he spoke about the end of his career at the dogs, being advised he was likely to get a contract and then that not eventuating really stung him so maybe that influenced him to request a cut off date to know his fate for next year.

Whatever you think of him, I think any club captain should receive that courtesy, maybe not everyone would agree with that. The situation at the end of last year with him not knowing anything until post season probably wouldn't have sat well. Understand it's a brutal industry but would be sad for it to end like that.

I wouldn't be making the mistake of thinking Heppell will be depth.

He was garbage for weeks this year, to go with at least his 2022, and was allowed to find form.

If we need him for leadership what is going to change mid season next year.

Pencil him for 23 games next season. At least it will mitigate the disappointment.

I wouldn't be making the mistake of thinking Heppell will be depth.

He was garbage for weeks this year, to go with at least his 2022, and was allowed to find form.

If we need him for leadership what is going to change mid season next year.

Pencil him for 23 games next season. At least it will mitigate the disappointment.
It seems this isn't your 1st rodeo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine carry-on from a lot of people – are you going to tell your kids or wife to stop smiling because they have a bad day at work?

Just reply to me if you want to say it. It’s fine. I don’t think anyone else was saying it but me?

And no, I just expect our former captain to show a bit more seriousness at an open training session the Tuesday after a 130 point humiliation.

It is situational and not relevant to other life scenarios. Nobody is saying don’t enjoy life, people and moments.

Leaders set the tone. Dyson has set the wrong one for too many years. That was my point and I feel strongly about it. If you and others don’t, no worries 👍🏻

One factor that shows how he is regarded inside the club is the fact that those inside the club have voted him the best clubman 7 times in 13 seasons.
It is the stuff we do not know about that we are blind to .
I am not saying he should have been signed again but I can see why they want him around the place given how poor our leadership is .

Heard him on radio this morn. He speaks well and good luck to him I too thought he has had a good year.
Positive personality too.

"Goes past" him?

His marking was an actual asset in the games I saw this year, to be fair. Not a skill that others like Ridley, BZT, Laverde, Redman don't also provide, but still valuable.

Outside of that, he did nothing on field (that I saw) that the team couldn't get from others.

Disposal: The above, plus Hind, Baldwin, Massimo all are ahead.

Defensive actions: The above (except Massimo), plus Kelly all ahead.

I've seen a few people ask who replaces him and find that odd. A position was opened up for him after he failed on the wing, to be clear. The backline were fine-ish until then.

I would personally play any and all of the following in the backline ahead of Heppell: Laverde, Baldwin, BZT, Ridley, Redman, McGrath, Kelly, Cox, Massimo (I'd lose Heppell's okay 1:1 skills for Mass' superior disposal), Guelfi (who has done a better job of it in the past).

I'd even give games to Montgomerie to see if he adds anything more, given the reports on him are solid.

The club says leadership and that's possibly true. I do see him point at people. I don't see him zone or chase properly, but maybe the club wants it that way.

"Goes past" him?

His marking was an actual asset in the games I saw this year, to be fair. Not a skill that others like Ridley, BZT, Laverde, Redman don't also provide, but still valuable.

Outside of that, he did nothing on field (that I saw) that the team couldn't get from others.

Disposal: The above, plus Hind, Baldwin, Massimo all are ahead.

Defensive actions: The above (except Massimo), plus Kelly all ahead.

I've seen a few people ask who replaces him and find that odd. A position was opened up for him after he failed on the wing, to be clear. The backline were fine-ish until then.

I would personally play any and all of the following in the backline ahead of Heppell: Laverde, Baldwin, BZT, Ridley, Redman, McGrath, Kelly, Cox, Massimo (I'd lose Heppell's okay 1:1 skills for Mass' superior disposal), Guelfi (who has done a better job of it in the past).

I'd even give games to Montgomerie to see if he adds anything more, given the reports on him are solid.

The club says leadership and that's possibly true. I do see him point at people. I don't see him zone or chase properly, but maybe the club wants it that way.
The thing is that leadership tends to improve with experience, so it's unlikely anyone will actually go past him in the sense of leadership if he's already the best and going to continue getting better as he himself gets more experience.

He will always be able to provide more leadership than what we'd have on the list without him.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! 🤙 - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back