AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! 🤙 - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is that leadership tends to improve with experience, so it's unlikely anyone will actually go past him in the sense of leadership if he's already the best and going to continue getting better as he himself gets more experience.

He will always be able to provide more leadership than what we'd have on the list without him.
Tends to improve, but not always. I'd say Lloyd declined in that field.

The other thing is that people can step up when a gap emerges. At least in most workplaces; maybe not Essendon, because I genuinely can't tell what the club considers strong or effective leadership. I think there's an argument to be made that Heppell's leadership is part of the problem. I've written it previously, but he leads a bit like Jobe did, and not in a good way.

Merrett has already demonstrated better, "words with actions to support" leadership this year than Heppell ever has, in my view.

"Goes past" him?

His marking was an actual asset in the games I saw this year, to be fair. Not a skill that others like Ridley, BZT, Laverde, Redman don't also provide, but still valuable.

Outside of that, he did nothing on field (that I saw) that the team couldn't get from others.

Disposal: The above, plus Hind, Baldwin, Massimo all are ahead.

Defensive actions: The above (except Massimo), plus Kelly all ahead.

I've seen a few people ask who replaces him and find that odd. A position was opened up for him after he failed on the wing, to be clear. The backline were fine-ish until then.

I would personally play any and all of the following in the backline ahead of Heppell: Laverde, Baldwin, BZT, Ridley, Redman, McGrath, Kelly, Cox, Massimo (I'd lose Heppell's okay 1:1 skills for Mass' superior disposal), Guelfi (who has done a better job of it in the past).

I'd even give games to Montgomerie to see if he adds anything more, given the reports on him are solid.

The club says leadership and that's possibly true. I do see him point at people. I don't see him zone or chase properly, but maybe the club wants it that way.
id say he’s about level with ridley/bzt/redman with marking but ahead of lavs.

his defensive actions though are mostly good, if just seems for naught when the follow up disposal is a shocker, but human memory only remembers the bad stuff, not the good stuff too.

the rest is spot on

"Goes past" him?

His marking was an actual asset in the games I saw this year, to be fair. Not a skill that others like Ridley, BZT, Laverde, Redman don't also provide, but still valuable.

Outside of that, he did nothing on field (that I saw) that the team couldn't get from others.

Disposal: The above, plus Hind, Baldwin, Massimo all are ahead.

Defensive actions: The above (except Massimo), plus Kelly all ahead.

I've seen a few people ask who replaces him and find that odd. A position was opened up for him after he failed on the wing, to be clear. The backline were fine-ish until then.

I would personally play any and all of the following in the backline ahead of Heppell: Laverde, Baldwin, BZT, Ridley, Redman, McGrath, Kelly, Cox, Massimo (I'd lose Heppell's okay 1:1 skills for Mass' superior disposal), Guelfi (who has done a better job of it in the past).

I'd even give games to Montgomerie to see if he adds anything more, given the reports on him are solid.

The club says leadership and that's possibly true. I do see him point at people. I don't see him zone or chase properly, but maybe the club wants it that way.
He's only just an AFL standard player, by "goes past him" I just meant in the same role and someone makes it impossible for them to keep picking him.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you've said there - would say his 2nd and 3rd efforts are also better than a lot of others. I do hate seeing how slow he is to get back sometimes following a turnover.

Laverde, Ridley, Baldwin, BZT are not playing similar roles at all, Cox maybe but he has been unavailable and still don't know what his role will be really? If he were available all year, maybe he plays a lot more when Dyson was allowed a chance to find some form. Massimo's lack of defensive ability has seen him not picked for most of the year and maybe going to another club. Guelfi clearly seen as a forward at the moment. I'd have preferred Hind to play probably throughout the year too. Is Kelly any better? I don't think so. Pending who we get in & lose, maybe Ridley does stop playing on as many key forwards and gets back to a more intercept first role or Laverde could have Heppell's spot and stop playing undersized on bigger blokes, sure. That's what I mean that I want to see?

The coaches see him as an on field coach and the guy to set up on the field & that's what the pointing is about, whether you disagree if he's doing that well and have a problem with the pointing thing that's fine. Maybe next year he can start throwing pretzels on the ground too.

If Scott & his team are doing their job properly, by half way through next year, Heppell should be tapped on the shoulder & given a chance to retire.

Little bit of Dylan Shiel syndrome with this bloke. People remember the howlers but forget the sum of all parts.

He was good to very good at times this year, the kicking penetration (and accuracy with more daring kicks), the speed off the mark, the ability to zone off and intercept has waned but he offers a bit still to a young list bereft of leadership.

I fully understand the reason he was offered another year, is more an indictment on us and our list that this is where we are at but I understand it.

If we are to take the best step or two then he needs to be passed convincingly by the next group of kids wanting that half back spot. We just don’t have anyone there right now. Sans Durham and potential of one of Tex, Alwyn or even Martin (God forbid).

If he plays 12 games then that’s a plus. Can hopefully play 10 in the VFL and its a big win for the list as a whole but the leadership needs to continue building from within And Dyson should be a big part of continuing to challenge the list.

Such an indictment on this club and list that we need to keep this bloke who simply cannot play footy anymore and has question marks on his leadership style and credentials anyway due the to absolute dearth of leadership and professionalism on the team

Look he was average to poor at times but let’s not pretend that he didn’t play some good footy at times as well.

He is a handy man to have a round the club and I dare say a lot handier than the pick in the 80’s or whatever the shit it ends up at when we delist him after all the others that are more apparent or have retired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look he was average to poor at times but let’s not pretend that he didn’t play some good footy at times as well.

He is a handy man to have a round the club and I dare say a lot handier than the pick in the 80’s or whatever the s**t it ends up at when we delist him after all the others that are more apparent or have retired.
Windy Hill does need some work .

Had to go back a ways to find Dyson's thread. Sign of the times.

Just had to record for posterity his statement

“... there’s no part of me that if I was to finish my career, there would be no hole left in me or no sick feeling if I didn’t (win a flag)... there would be no part of me that would feel an inch of sadness.. "

Yes, I edited parts of his statement out to get to the heart of the matter.

But seriously.. WTF. Only our post-saga "she'll be right mate" skipper could feel that way. And even then - to have the lack of awareness to say it out loud while still playing. And to claim elsewhere in the article that he's a better leader now than ever before.

Leading us where?

Leading us right to the middle of the table. Win a few, lose a few. Occasionally after a bad one pretend to be gutted for the cameras. Well not really pretend to be gutted, more just say that you're gutted while not really looking at all gutted. Enjoy a beer with your mates. Repeat. Career.

Between him and Worsfold. Jesus help me. Learnings. How about WINNINGS.

Had to go back a ways to find Dyson's thread. Sign of the times.

Just had to record for posterity his statement

“... there’s no part of me that if I was to finish my career, there would be no hole left in me or no sick feeling if I didn’t (win a flag)... there would be no part of me that would feel an inch of sadness.. "

Yes, I edited parts of his statement out to get to the heart of the matter.

But seriously.. WTF. Only our post-saga "she'll be right mate" skipper could feel that way. And even then - to have the lack of awareness to say it out loud while still playing. And to claim elsewhere in the article that he's a better leader now than ever before.

Leading us where?

Leading us right to the middle of the table. Win a few, lose a few. Occasionally after a bad one pretend to be gutted for the cameras. Well not really pretend to be gutted, more just say that you're gutted while not really looking at all gutted. Enjoy a beer with your mates. Repeat. Career.

Between him and Worsfold. Jesus help me. Learnings. How about WINNINGS.
Whoever did Dyson's psych test before the draft obviously got a horrible gpa. Maybe some coterie group member's offspring.

As a leader, I imagine it's been Dyson telling players that it doesn't matter so much if we lose. Thanks Dys.

Whoever did Dyson's psych test before the draft obviously got a horrible gpa. Maybe some coterie group member's offspring.

As a leader, I imagine it's been Dyson telling players that it doesn't matter so much if we lose. Thanks Dys.
Yep, I have admired a lot about his footy and leadership at times over the years. He was arguably the right guy for a few years there post Jobe. As much as Worsfold was. Rutten was never gonna be strong enough to rock that boat, but there was also a serious lack of alternative leaders when he arrived.

Dyson’s comments just so blatantly belong in an era we need to leave asap. Just reeks of saga to me. Imagine how much Selwood, Pendlebury & Cotchin would have laughed on reading them.. “typical Bombers ha ha”.

It’s so hard to win a flag. Players need to be absolutely obsessive and find something magical together. You will never, ever get there unless your leaders are burning up with hunger.

To me him saying that makes it untenable for him to play 1s. Contentment is a cancer at the elite level.

It’s time to help the 2s feel good about life now Dys. Don’t let the slaps hit you on the back on your way out.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! 🤙 - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back