AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah it would've sent the message that we were giving up on the season and that's not good for the culture/instilling belief. He didn't even play in the 2's for weeks and we might've been smashed by 100 if he was out there.

Tbh we were kinda even in this mess because we were gifting him games when he was clearly past it in the 2nd half of the season. What he should've done was he should rested himself periodically then built to a last match.

He can play next week and if fans really love him that much they can travel.

Heā€™d been gifted 5 years because of the saga. I donā€™t see the need for a farewell game.

Iā€™m from the ā€œshouldā€™ve played VFLā€ argument. Wasnā€™t below Luke Parker who is a former AA, premiership player and club captain.

Heā€™d been gifted 5 years because of the saga. I donā€™t see the need for a farewell game.

Iā€™m from the ā€œshouldā€™ve played VFLā€ argument. Wasnā€™t below Luke Parker who is a former AA, premiership player and club captain.
Arguably he did think it was below him which is why he ironed out that poor bastard and got what.. 6 weeks or something?

I wouldn't have minded Heppell having a farewell game, but I tend to agree. If he'd played a couple of games in the 2's and had been the best player out there (which he probably would've been) then it would've been hard not to select him based on form. But for whatever reason he didn't play in the 2's, so you have to judge him on his most recent form when picking the team.

If Heppell felt playing in the 2's was beneath him then maybe that's part of the problem with our culture. It shouldn't be beneath any of the players to spend time there. Parish also should've played his first game back in the 2's when he came back from injury.

And if Wright is upset about being in the 2's, maybe he should go somewhere else and see if he'll be given games in the seniors every week no matter how he's performing. I think he'd be in for a rude shock if he thinks that is the case.

Last edited:
He's so good with kids, the AFL should put him in a role where he can really utilize this strength.

!00% agree with this. Heppell is a fantastic person and would be a great ambassador for the AFL.

I think it's bit rich potting the guy for thinking he's too good to play VFL - none of us have any idea of the conversations going on inside the 4 walls. But I will agree that the culture of entitlement, 'owing' players etc simply must end now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why? this club

No Thanks Ffs GIF by MTV Ex On The Beach

A farewell in what will probably be a 70 point loss up in Brisbane in front of 30k pretty much epitomises what this club has been like for the duration of his career.

A farewell in what will probably be a 70 point loss up in Brisbane in front of 30k pretty much epitomises what this club has been like for the duration of his career.

If you love him so much then travel

I for one think he had a big hand to play in how the club was "like".

Yeah nah she'll be right m8

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back