AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the early signs from Heppell, he is going to be a gun & a great asset to the club (definite future leadership material) - but the biggest star is going to be David Zaharakis, by a fair margin. Very very special... and didn't even play last night.

In my view he is, I rated Hurley where he was picked in his draft, I rather Heppell at 2. That said I am glad to have both of them at our club. At least being awful last year got us Heppell. That is one positive. I see Heppell as our Goddard to be honest, that is how much I rate him. A grade skills off both feet and A grade endurance, what more do you want in a MPP player to be honest. I hope he is played on the ball more than in the backline though!

I see heppell as our goddard also, once he gets some confidence, strength and endurance in him he will shine, oozes class. I said at the draft that if heppell could be as good as Sam Fisher I would be happy, ok after last nights game lets bump him up to goddard, by the end of it he might be as good as our coach was.

The last time I got this excited about a 1st rd draft pick after playing just a few games was Rama...

I see heppell as our goddard also, once he gets some confidence, strength and endurance in him he will shine, oozes class. I said at the draft that if heppell could be as good as Sam Fisher I would be happy, ok after last nights game lets bump him up to goddard, by the end of it he might be as good as our coach was.

+1

imagine a Goddard in his 3rd year and a Hird from there on.
WOW!

Love the early signs from Heppell, he is going to be a gun & a great asset to the club (definite future leadership material) - but the biggest star is going to be David Zaharakis, by a fair margin. Very very special... and didn't even play last night.

This. Zaka will be the bolter this season. Has put on some serious bulk and looks to have added a yard of pace. I reckon he is a great chance to go top 5 in our B&F. Break-out season coming up!

This. Zaka will be the bolter this season. Has put on some serious bulk and looks to have added a yard of pace. I reckon he is a great chance to go top 5 in our B&F. Break-out season coming up!

I really thought last year he was played out of position, not pointing the finger at anyone..... Knights.
He has great skills, bulked up really well and can also kick goals.
A lot of people have compared him to Bartel.
Lets have he has a break-out season.

Watch for the leadership material from Dyson (roughly 6 minutes to go in the 1st quarter) when he pulled the experienced McVeigh aside by his jumper from a rucking contest to give him clearance instructions which then resulted in Dyson influencing the rucking contest which resulted in a goal shortly after.

Future gun. Future leader. Enough said. Even when he speaks in interviews and the like it's like hearing a 28 year old seasoned professional not an 18 year old first year player. Genuinely exciting.

Saw that vision too M18.

Thought it was strange at first, for a 2nd gamer to pull a veteran aside.

Yet after the two goals he kicked, everyone went to him; obviously seems like he has gelled really quickly within the playing group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch for the leadership material from Dyson (roughly 6 minutes to go in the 1st quarter) when he pulled the experienced McVeigh aside by his jumper from a rucking contest to give him clearance instructions which then resulted in Dyson influencing the rucking contest which resulted in a goal shortly after.

That was awesome, watch him direct players where to go also, in tac cup he did it quiet often. having him is just such awesome feeling, now hopefully we can just watch him dominate.

167417-dyson-heppell.jpg

Interesting comparing Heppell to Goddard.

I think that Hodge is a more apt comparison.

I dont think he will be that physical, yeah he kicks with the left and can kick goals but i think goddard/hird comparison is pretty much on the mark. When goddard was drafted they said the next hird. either way he will make his own mark and will be a good player.

You guys have something to be very excited about here imo.

Apparantly GC werent prepared to take the risk on his groins, so if you didnt take him he somehow would have made it to us!

Anyway, his poise reminds me alot of Jack Grimes across the backline actually.

See, this is why we should have let the number 5 go free until we had the right youngster to take it over. Nothing against Stants, but Heppell was born to wear the number 5

Agree with this, mate. I said at the time that the number should have been retired.

Would have been the perfect time to give Heppell a year and then give it to him in his second year.

**** me, I'm sure I said nothing against Stanton :rolleyes:

Let me know what other topics are taboo can you?
I'm not speaking as a Moderator, I just couldn't care less about this whole "earning a number" issue.

I'm more so sick of people harping on about how Stanton isn't good enough to wear the number. Now I know you said "nothing against him", but you then went on to say Heppell is more fit to wear it.

Based on two NAB Cup games? :rolleyes:

Haha blow me down.

It's a damn number.

I'm not speaking as a Moderator, I just couldn't care less about this whole "earning a number" issue.

I'm more so sick of people harping on about how Stanton isn't good enough to wear the number. Now I know you said "nothing against him", but you then went on to say Heppell is more fit to wear it.

Based on two NAB Cup games? :rolleyes:

Haha blow me down.

It's a damn number.

Number would be retired until he has shown enough. This would most likely be the end of this year.

I've spoken to a few people and the common theme is that Heppell has blown them away. He is special.

Matty Lloyd said something similiar on SEN on Friday.

Stants is a good honest B grader. He won't ever be anything more, imo.

You couldn't care less about numbers but some people do. Surely you can respect that?

I can respect their right to their opinions, but I absolutely disagree with them.

It's interesting enough though, I guess; I liked when Hurley was handed the #18.

I just think it's a point of small interest, rather than a massively important thing that results in morons at the footy (and I should clarify I'm not talking about Lance here :p) screaming out "You're a disgrace to the number 5, Stanton". That shits me no end, and is probably why I spoke up.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back