AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! 🤙 - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't we suffered enough
seth meyers laughs no GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Let's put it in perspective.

We've already lost 598 games of experience between Walla, Hurley, Cutler and Smith. Assuming Francis (54 games), Waterman (22) and Ham (45) go it means this off season we're shedding 719 games of AFL experience this off season, which is about 25% of the games played on our list, and we're not exactly the most experienced group going around in the first place. If Heppell goes that's nearly 1/3 of our games played off the list in one year.

I know we're going through a rebuild (something people in here may have forgotten due to our dead cat bounce in 2021) but you still need experience on the list otherwise it's going to be a lot more painful.

We've already lost 598 games of experience between Walla, Hurley, Cutler and Smith. Assuming Francis (54 games), Waterman (22) and Ham (45) go it means this off season we're shedding 719 games of AFL experience this off season, which is about 25% of the games played on our list, and we're not exactly the most experienced group going around in the first place. If Heppell goes that's nearly 1/3 of our games played off the list in one year.

I know we're going through a rebuild (something people in here may have forgotten due to our dead cat bounce in 2021) but you still need experience on the list otherwise it's going to be a lot more painful.
Your point was well made without reaching with Waterman and Ham ethan. :p

but you still need experience on the list otherwise it's going to be a lot more painful.

I can deal with pain if I know we're moving in the right direction and making the necessary decisions for that direction. And might I also add the reason we shed those games from the said players you mentioned is because they were cooked players with no upside. It's good to have experience, but it matters that the players providing that experience are actually good, or serviceable enough to not become a liability/stagnate the progress of those who are being passed on the torch.

Heppell is a liability who brings the team down in terms of workload on the field. This makes things difficult in terms of a workable structure but also in setting standards. How can you expect players to genuinely buy into the idea that they have to earn their spots based on performance if they're carrying someone who cannot be true to themselves? How can you expect players to truly take advantage of a leader if the leader is unable to make a call for the betterment of those around him the moment it becomes evident that he's becoming a liability?

It's all so tiring.

Last edited:
I can deal with pain if I know we're moving in the right direction and making the necessary decisions for that direction.

Also, Heppell is a liability who brings the team down in terms of workload on the field. This makes things difficult in terms of a workable structure but also in setting standards. How can you expect players to genuinely buy into the idea that they have to earn their spots based on performance if they're carrying someone who cannot be true to themselves? How can you expect players to truly take advantage of a leader if the leader is unable to make a call for the betterment of those around him the moment it becomes evident that he's becoming a liability?

It's all so tiring.
I think it will be telling if he hands the captaincy over. Maybe we should wait and see what happens there first.

Just bring back Fletch then.

Your point was well made without reaching with Waterman and Ham ethan. :p
Really it could have stopped at Walla and Hurley and Walla wasn’t there at all this year and Hurls was given a farewell game after not playing all year. Which of the other guys would be on any oppositions senior list next year or even the past couple seasons?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really it could have stopped at Walla and Hurley and Walla wasn’t there at all this year and Hurls was given a farewell game after not playing all year. Which of the other guys would be on any oppositions senior list next year or even the past couple seasons?
The point, which you've managed to avoid extremely well, is that last year we shed over 600 games of experience off our list between Hooker, Zaka, Gleeson and Ambrose whilst only bringing in Kelly with any AFL experience at all. This year we've already shed nearly 600 and are expected to shed at least another 100 games without bringing in any experience at all.

If Heppell left we'd have lost 1,500 games in 2 years whilst bringing in Kelly and a bunch of kids. When you consider that between the rest of our list has about 2000 games between them, that's a massive turnover of experience over 2 off seasons.

The point, which you've managed to avoid extremely well, is that last year we shed over 600 games of experience off our list between Hooker, Zaka, Gleeson and Ambrose whilst only bringing in Kelly with any AFL experience at all. This year we've already shed nearly 600 and are expected to shed at least another 100 games without bringing in any experience at all.

If Heppell left we'd have lost 1,500 games in 2 years whilst bringing in Kelly and a bunch of kids. When you consider that between the rest of our list has about 2000 games between them, that's a massive turnover of experience over 2 off seasons.
Then go out and trade for some experienced players that will bring something to the team and list

Then go out and trade for some experienced players that will bring something to the team and list
Or do both. Which experienced player would you want to bring in? Give me suggestions.

I’ve lost to much interest in footy to even pretend to know who’s out there
You'd have to convince any experienced player that we're not an absolute basket case to have any chance of getting them, something that's harder than it should be at present.

I can deal with pain if I know we're moving in the right direction and making the necessary decisions for that direction. And might I also add the reason we shed those games from the said players you mentioned is because they were cooked players with no upside. It's good to have experience, but it matters that the players providing that experience are actually good, or serviceable enough to not become a liability/stagnate the progress of those who are being passed on the torch.

Heppell is a liability who brings the team down in terms of workload on the field. This makes things difficult in terms of a workable structure but also in setting standards. How can you expect players to genuinely buy into the idea that they have to earn their spots based on performance if they're carrying someone who cannot be true to themselves? How can you expect players to truly take advantage of a leader if the leader is unable to make a call for the betterment of those around him the moment it becomes evident that he's becoming a liability?

It's all so tiring.
Yeah well unless we can convince Mundy or JPK etc to sign up for a season or two Heppell is the only experience we're likely to get this offseason.

I agree with your sentiment, but there’s a certain point that experience shouldn’t come for the sake of it, at the expense of progress.

In the corporate world when you’re rebuilding a culture and workforce, I’d argue that you’re better off moving on any people that

a) don’t offer much in the way of meaningful contributions
b) have played a role in the existing poor culture and performance

I see Dyson as having played a key role in our existing culture of complacency and lack of defensive efforts. Along with plenty of others.

I’d argue that our team would be better off in trading in another reasonably experienced player from a successful culture.

Yeah well unless we can convince Mundy or JPK etc to sign up for a season or two Heppell is the only experience we're likely to get this offseason.
We're not getting an experienced coach and I don't think we're getting experienced players.

Mitch Robinson might like a season?
We should have courted Travis Boak. He wouldn't come to us now.

The ultimate clubman, Dyson Heppell will remain in the red and black for the remainder of his career after agreeing to play on for at least one more year.

Named successor to Jobe Watson as captain in 2017, Heppell has been the inspirational leader of the football club and is universally respected for his commitment and care to the Essendon Football Club.

The 30-year-old played his milestone 200 AFL game earlier this season against Sydney at the SCG. Of his 213 games to date, 107 were as captain.

Hailing from Leongatha, the Bombers drafted Heppell from the Gippsland Power with pick No.8 in the 2010 National Draft. He went on to make his debut in round one of the following year.

In 2011, Heppell became the first Essendon player to win the NAB Rising Star award, after polling 44 of the possible 45 votes.

His career achievements include All-Australian honours in 2014 and Club Best and Fairest Crichton Medallist in the same year, selection in the 2015 International Rules Series, Crichton Medal runner-up (2012, 2018), Crichton Medal third place (2013, 2015, 2017), Adam Ramanauskas Most Courageous Player (2021), John Heymanson Best Clubman (2013, 2014, 2015, 2017), John Kilby Staff and Trainers' Award (2018, 2019).

Heppell said he was thrilled to be seeing out his AFL career as a one-club player.

“It has been one of the greatest honours of my life to captain the club I grew up supporting. The Essendon Football Club is my second home, and to see out my playing career here as a one-club player is incredibly special,” Heppell said.

“Although this year has been tough, I have real belief in our playing group and I’m committed to continuing to support the growth of this program. I look forward to working with our new coach and putting in a big pre-season together as we build towards 2023.”

General Manager of list and recruiting Adrian Dodoro said Heppell’s re-signing was important.

“Dyson is an instrumental figure at our football club and we’re so pleased that we will see him play out the remainder of his career at our club,” Dodoro said.

“It is universally known how selfless and caring Dyson as a person is, and he has always done what he thinks is best for the team.

“Dyson’s recommitment to the Club shows just how driven he is to take this club forward in 2023, and he remains incredibly important to our football program, both on and off the field.”

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! 🤙 - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back