AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! 🤙 - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with your sentiment, but there’s a certain point that experience shouldn’t come for the sake of it, at the expense of progress.

In the corporate world when you’re rebuilding a culture and workforce, I’d argue that you’re better off moving on any people that

a) don’t offer much in the way of meaningful contributions
b) have played a role in the existing poor culture and performance

I see Dyson as having played a key role in our existing culture of complacency and lack of defensive efforts. Along with plenty of others.

I’d argue that our team would be better off in trading in another reasonably experienced player from a successful culture.

Not sure it's fair to says Dys doesn't work hard defensively, he's just limited physically. He's always been one of our best each week at covering distance, but it's at one pace.

No issue with him getting a year more and forcing the young guys to at least out perform him to get a game.

Earned the right to make his own call.

We seemingly have no desire to go out and get someone better for that role so he’ll continue to plug away on the wing with odd moment of getting found out for the time being.

cannot stay captain.

He needs to be played as a fringe player. He is not best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a fan of that. If he has coaching ambitions it would be better for him to go elsewhere for a while.

Not a fan of that. If he has coaching ambitions it would be better for him to go elsewhere for a while.

Yep agreed.
Regardless of whether you played for a rabble like us, or a well-run club like a Geelong, first step into coaching should be to get into a different organisation, better or worse, and see how they operate.

Yep agreed.
Regardless of whether you played for a rabble like us, or a well-run club like a Geelong, first step into coaching should be to get into a different organisation, better or worse, and see how they operate.

I for one think both Josh Kennedy's should come to EFC to broaden their experience to poorly run clubs. Selwood post-retirement too.

Really widen their knowledge beyond just boring, predictable, well-run football clubs.

Disagree. Our players for years have thought they knew better than what the coach was telling them to do. Time for us to utilise their superior wisdom rather than lose it to a rival.

Should’ve skipped straight to off field stuff and at another club.

I’m completely against offering him a playing contract followed by a coaching role.

For the fact he’s playing on when he’s a clear liability tells me he’s a selfish campaigner and lacks leadership.

Involved with the club off field could be a JHA thing or development type gig? VFL, AFLW perhaps? Would seem odd to go straight in to assistant coaching role. The new senior coach would like some say in their assistants I would have thought

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! 🤙 - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back