Draft Review 21st Century draft game - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I have really enjoyed following this thread, great idea.👏👏

It would be fantastic to get a single post with all the teams listed when the draft is done and dusted so we could compare and vote on the best side, via a Poll if possible... see who is Big Footy's best recruiter/list manager.

I think we will be doing a poll of some kind at the end. Not sure though.

Jake Lloyd

eth-dog

Gryan Miers Lingsface

Geelong

Ben Stratton
Very good defensive player on small or tall, I think I have enough attacking options and need a versatile solid lock down defender.

Scott Welsh
To fill out a very versatile forward line, Welsh is inconsistent, but his best was huge! O loughlin Welsh N Brown Didak all zipping around will be a worry once the ball is in our front half.

Time to roll the dice on some bench players now.

Honestly can't believe he slipped this far. Liam Ryan reggie

Adam Treloar

Fadge

West Coast select Max Hudghton from St Kilda

To round out my starting 18, Collingwood are after another brute key defender, this fellow has stood toe to toe with the best of them.

Scott Thompson, of the North Melbourne Key Defender variety, welcome to Collingwood!

West Coast select Max Hudghton from St Kilda

Oh no!!

I have ignored full back on purpose cos I assumed the players I had in mind would be completely overlooked! I even wrote to Mr Meow about it (several rounds ago) as I was concerned that the full backs I liked would lose me votes cos I remember them as great stoppers but others might consider them totally 'unfashionable' and mark my team down accordingly.

The players I specifically wrote about were:

1. Scott Thompson
2. Max Hudgton

and with the rest of my starting 18 filled, was just about to pick one of them. Turns out I wasn't crazy after all!

I was leaning Thompson as he was AA, won a best and fairest and was runner up 1 (or 2?) more times. But Mr Meow thought he might lose me votes and preferred Hudgton - who was super underrated and I believe would have made the AA squad a heap of times if it existed in his prime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh no!!

I have ignored full back on purpose cos I assumed the players I had in mind would be completely overlooked! I even wrote to Mr Meow about it (several rounds ago) as I was concerned that the full backs I liked would lose me votes cos I remember them as great stoppers but others might consider them totally 'unfashionable' and mark my team down accordingly.

1. Scott Thompson
2. Max Hudgton

and with the rest of my starting 18 filled, was just about to pick one of them. Turns out I wasn't crazy after all!

I was leaning Thompson as he was AA, won a best and fairest and was runner up 1 (or 2?) more times. But Mr Meow thought he might lose me votes and preferred Hudgton - who was super underrated and I believe would have made the AA squad a heap of times if it existed in his prime.
Alipate Carlile

Oh no!!

1. Scott Thompson
2. Max Hudgton

E Mackenzie - Won a best and fairest and 2 all aus squads.

There's still a really really good current day key defender that hasn't been picked yet, and is very aggressive as well.

Oh no!!

1. Scott Thompson
2. Max Hudgton

Yeah I can confirm. And I did like Thompson, who was also an underrated rebounder when given the chance and more prolific than you'd think. I did even consider Thompson in my line up, in a back pocket but essentially as a proper third tall instead of making Stewart perform that role - and better equipped for sides with 3 genuine key forwards. But in the end I didn't really want to structure up in such a pragmatic way to cope with a "look at all these tall forwards we're throwing up there" game plan. Vlastuin was just the far superior footballer and I like the idea of 6/7 defenders elite at reading the ball and repelling attacks working as a unit. Especially with it releasing Stewart into midfield when needed as Vlastuin is more of a Stewart potential replacement than Thomspon was.

Hudgton was a premier stopper and at this pick is one of the bargains of the draft. But once I had Frawley I feel I eliminated myself from a Hudgton type player, as I'd rather Sicily at CHB than one of Hudgton/Frawley.

Oh no!!

1. Scott Thompson
2. Max Hudgton

Yeah, my view is the defenders need to defend, and with Thompson and Michael I have two of the best.

Throw in Grimes and Milburn who can play on talks mediums and smalls.

I went with class across the rest of the field. Very happy with how it's turned out.

Now to assess the interchange spots.

Reasonings for these two:

Gryan Miers: There were several half forwards I was keen on but I had to think about the right mix. With three big boys their forward pressure had to be really good and whilst I didn't need a high goal scorer I needed someone creative, with a high percentage of goal assists and score involvements. I just kept coming back to Miers, although there were guys like Melksham and Monfries under consideration.

Liam Ryan: I really wanted one more small forward to round it out and I wasn't sure if anyone on my list would last another 30 picks. Ryan's pressure is top notch, and we all know how good he is when he's not stuck in the bottom 4, so I took a punt on him over Walla and Hayden Ballantyne.

FBSean DempsterDarren Glass (vc)???
HBJordan RidleyMichael Hurley???
MFBrent StantonJobe Watson (c)Kieran Jack
HFGryan MiersJack RiewoldtRyan O'Keefe
FFTom PapleyTom HawkinsKurt Tippett
OBBrad OttensConnor RozeeCallan Ward (vc)
IC???Callum Mills
IC???Liam Ryan

Reasonings for these two:

Gryan Miers: There were several half forwards I was keen on but I had to think about the right mix. With three big boys their forward pressure had to be really good and whilst I didn't need a high goal scorer I needed someone creative, with a high percentage of goal assists and score involvements. I just kept coming back to Miers, although there were guys like Melksham and Monfries under consideration.

Liam Ryan: I really wanted one more small forward to round it out and I wasn't sure if anyone on my list would last another 30 picks. Ryan's pressure is top notch, and we all know how good he is when he's not stuck in the bottom 4, so I took a punt on him over Walla and Hayden Ballantyne.

FBSean DempsterDarren Glass (vc)???
HBJordan RidleyMichael Hurley???
MFBrent StantonJobe Watson (c)Kieran Jack
HFGryan MiersJack RiewoldtRyan O'Keefe
FFTom PapleyTom HawkinsKurt Tippett
OBBrad OttensConnor RozeeCallan Ward (vc)
IC???Callum Mills
IC???Liam Ryan
Gryan and Ryan cause it Rhyams.

Oh no!!

1. Scott Thompson
2. Max Hudgton

I did seriously consider Hudghton as my FB, with Andrews as the intercept marking CHB and Gibson as the 3rd tall, but since he was mainly a spoiler and lockdown type, and with spoiling machine Gibson in the team ultimately went with Croad at CHB as the modern game favours the marking types more

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Review 21st Century draft game - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back