AFL Player #22: Sam Durham - What a player!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually Merv is a great comparison. Merv played a bit of a midfield/centreman role before settling on a wing so sort of in reverse to Duz. Merv was definitely a bull-at-a-gate and tenacious for sure but had the skills to work outside of congestion too. Merv was a smoother mover and superior kick, especially on the run. But Duz is better over head and better at clearances. Merv could arch his back and accelerate out of congestion whereas Duz just bulldozes through.
You might be underselling the duz acceleration. I swear he’s gone down to the crossroads or something because along with everything else he has burned away from a few contests lately

You might be underselling the duz acceleration. I swear he’s gone down to the crossroads or something because along with everything else he has burned away from a few contests lately
Maybe, but he still tends to charge through congestion. Neagle used to rely a lot on evasion on the burst rather than bulldozing..

To be fair, it’s one of the most rapid improvements of an Essendon player I can recall.

He’s gone from a solid role player (that may be underselling it) to being extremely close to our most important player in a super short period of time
Hence it hasn’t aged well.

To be fair, it’s one of the most rapid improvements of an Essendon player I can recall.

He’s gone from a solid role player (that may be underselling it) to being extremely close to our most important player in a super short period of time
His recent trajectory isn't dissimilar to that of Jobe in 2009.

Actually Merv is a great comparison. Merv played a bit of a midfield/centreman role before settling on a wing so sort of in reverse to Duz. Merv was definitely a bull-at-a-gate and tenacious for sure but had the skills to work outside of congestion too. Merv was a smoother mover and superior kick, especially on the run. But Duz is better over head and better at clearances. Merv could arch his back and accelerate out of congestion whereas Duz just bulldozes through.
I dunno. Some of Durhams movement out of stoppages in recent weeks has been pretty smooth. He’s a really good mover - balanced and powerful.

I think the Neagle comparison is a good one. Hopefully it only holds true for playing style….Merv, bless him, was as mad as a cut snake (and an all-time fav of mine regardless).

I dunno. Some of Durhams movement out of stoppages in recent weeks has been pretty smooth. He’s a really good mover - balanced and powerful.

I think the Neagle comparison is a good one. Hopefully it only holds true for playing style….Merv, bless him, was as mad as a cut snake (and an all-time fav of mine regardless).
I agree but Merv was more so. His 1980 season was unbelievable and was around the time I first took real notice of the footy. He was smooth moving enough to catch the umpire’s eye and finish second in the Brownlow. It’s not like he had Peter Moore’s blonde hair to catch the eye either 😆

Remove this Banner Ad

Back