AFL Player #22: Sam Durham - What a player!!

Remove this Banner Ad

There has just been something about him since we got him in the SSP.

I remember a lot of Richmond fans being very dissapointed we got him so he really peaked my interest initially and was sweating on him being given a go at the top level. It didn't take long though.

He's virtually improved every time he's graced the park.

Anyone remember how bad of a tackler he was though in the early days? 😅 Certainly ironed that little kink out... 💪
he's worked very hard in every facet of his game i feel, everything that he may have been critiqued on has been worked on. very honest and hard working player.

We’ve had 6 midfielders attend 40+ Centre bounces this year (not including ruckmen)

Durham has the best rate of winning by attendance - we’ve won 54% of the Centre bounces he’s attended. Next best is Parish with 50%.

He also has the best loss rate - only 25% ends in the opponent winning the clearance. Next best is Perkins with 40%

We’ve had 6 midfielders attend 40+ Centre bounces this year (not including ruckmen)

Durham has the best rate of winning by attendance - we’ve won 54% of the Centre bounces he’s attended. Next best is Parish with 50%.

He also has the best loss rate - only 25% ends in the opponent winning the clearance. Next best is Perkins with 40%

Where do you get these stats. I love loss rate, hold the gamblers to account.

I'll put my hand up and say I didn't think he'd be much more than a depth guy. Fair to say he's proving me wrong. Was close to BOG last night and I hope his form continues.
I also never thought he had this level of play in him. Right now he is my favourite player to watch. Absolute beast in the middle

How does that work? If we win 54% that he attends and lose 25%, what happens the other 21%? If no one gets it out and there is a ball up does that mean no one gets given a centre clearance and it just then becomes a clearance next?

How does that work? If we win 54% that he attends and lose 25%, what happens the other 21%? If no one gets it out and there is a ball up does that mean no one gets given a centre clearance and it just then becomes a clearance next?

Yep, that’s correct. 21% are draws and result in a ball up. No one gets credit with a centre clearance

Where do you get these stats. I love loss rate, hold the gamblers to account.

I know Champion Data tracks it, but that information isn't available to the plebs.

I've just been doing it myself manually. After each game I go back, note who's at each centre bounce and what the result is, then I can calculate the wins and losses. I just cross-reference it with the available data (Centre Bounce Attendances and Centre Clearance Wins are both available on the AFL app) for each quarter to make sure that I'm tracking the right thing.

As an aside, our current lowest win rate and highest loss rate is Jye Caldwell (39% win, 57% loss). Those numbers were a lot worse before the Dogs game however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to his story he definitely had a lot of interest from other clubs. So glad we got him. If Sydney were into him it shows what sort of calibre of player they thought he could be.

Didn't think he had that level but maybe has a role as defensive mid clearance player. Not sure him and setterfield work in same mid though.

Was huge against bulldogs.

I finally figured out who he reminds me of & its Zak Butters. If he gets more size on him and becomes a bit more kamikaze-like, he's the same type of player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back