Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

In his 13 games this year he has taken more contested marks than in his previous 37 AFL games put together.
There was a point this year where I reckon it just clicked for him. It was in a game and he suddenly started clunking these amazing intercepted contested marks. It was like he suddenly went "Oh this is what I should do..." and he took about three in a row.

"Ben" McKay arguing with "Harry" McKay

maxresdefault.jpg

There was a point this year where I reckon it just clicked for him. It was in a game and he suddenly started clunking these amazing intercepted contested marks. It was like he suddenly went "Oh this is what I should do..." and he took about three in a row.
Real confidence.

When you get some proper confidence you can play up to your ability.

In his 13 games this year he has taken more contested marks than in his previous 37 AFL games put together.
Geez if left was right , I went right and got it so wrong with Ben.

What a player and was really an early second rd pick 21 from memory.

A super talent and hopefully we can find the CHB to compliment him. An astute drafting choice. I still don’t mind the fortnight at FF would have done him no long term damage. Actually still could see him being a dangerous fwd in a side that actually gets the ball on their terms .

But rapt with him at FB as well .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have some particularly troublesome players OOC or 1 year out from OOC. Strong message of our future needs to be in place ASAP to keep the emerging unit together.
surely if they have any brains they'd realise they could earn more at North than going to some club contending where the salary cap is spread over more top players ie better to be the Captain of a tug boat rather than 3rd mate on an Ocean liner
we're not going to stay down forever either

if the salary cap actually exists of course........

6x $800k as a minimum.

Absolutely critical.
His manager would know he's got us over a barrel.

Clubs will be sniffing, we've got nothing even remotely approaching his capabilities. We'd have to overpay fir an inferior replacement or draft a kid, wait 4 years and hope.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

4 years at that is plenty IMO. Not a big fan of long term deals
Too much can happen. Injuries, loss of form etc. I bet the pies are kicking themselves over Grundy,GWS with Coniglio amongst others

Nice story.

I’d be going 7x $800k now.

Grundy is a ruckman. Ben is already the best young defender in the Comp. The cost of replacing him will be significant, not only in $$$ terms, but draft equity not to mention the timing of it all could **** up our entire rebuild.

Sometimes it’s best just to set and forget. He’s the most valuable player on our list.

Nice story.

Grundy is a ruckman. Ben is already the best young defender in the Comp. The cost of replacing him will be significant, not only in $$$ terms, but draft equity not to mention the timing of it all could * up our entire rebuild.

Sometimes it’s best just to set and forget. He’s the most valuable player on our list.

I agree he's our most valuable. But 7 years is hell of a long time. What happens if he gets injured ? What happens if we lose other players because we have too much salary cap tied up in long contracts

4 years is long enough to commit to our rebuild, plus we could re-sign him before the 4 years is up.

No player is irreplaceable either

Nice story.

Grundy is a ruckman. Ben is already the best young defender in the Comp. The cost of replacing him will be significant, not only in $$$ terms, but draft equity not to mention the timing of it all could * up our entire rebuild.

I’m with you on this the longer the better, he’s already one of the premier defenders in the comp, just wait till he has a competent defenders around him and midfielders who can put pressure on the kick coming in.

And if he goes the cost of replacing will be stupid high. Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and say yeah you’re going to be a mainstay.
We’ll build a team around you.

I’m with you on this the longer the better, he’s already one of the premier defenders in the comp, just wait till he has a competent defenders around him.

And if he goes the cost of replacing will be stupid high. Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and say yeah you’re going to be a mainstay.

Hopefully every lines up with Clarko and we can start locking these blokes away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back