Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Surprised how upset I am being that it was inevitable in the next month or so.
I think it's mostly because for a legend like this it is only fair they end on high ...something along the line of Josh Kennedy's (WCE) finale' - kicking a bag of goals in front of a home crowd. Scripts can't be written in footy though I guess, otherwise he all would've ordered that one which had him put a premiership medal around his neck last Sep.

Being in Cairns I don't get to go to many games, so I'm just incredibly grateful to have been there (by chance!) last year for his #1000 goal - a powerfully happy memory which will never fade.

How blessed we have been to have him in red & white for such a large portion of his career. :praying:

Sad that my son never got to really appreciate Buddy even though I can tell him he did see the first half of round 1 2023 when Buddy played.

He gave us some amazing highs. Glad that they did the deal. Hope his son and daughter choose the Swans if good enough.

I got crucified by hawks supporters on Titus o’reillys post - all I said was he was good for Sydney - what a revolting bunch of supporters they are. all they had was he did his best work at hawthorn and no flags Sydney. The maturity of their supporters is sadly lacking. Oh so salty that he left. I remember in 2012 and we won, I went to the GF but a fanatical loud mouthed colleague and hawks supporter didn’t. He had had been giving it to me all gf week with the “what would a girl know about footy etc” , and some other delightful things. He was so pissedoff that we won, I didn’t have to say a word. I just kept smiling at him. He went off the richter at me, in front of our boss, he was put on notice if he harassed me again he’d be out. Such a classy guy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got crucified by hawks supporters on Titus o’reillys post - all I said was he was good for Sydney - what a revolting bunch of supporters they are. all they had was he did his best work at hawthorn and no flags Sydney. The maturity of their supporters is sadly lacking. Oh so salty that he left. I remember in 2012 and we won, I went to the GF but a fanatical loud mouthed colleague and hawks supporter didn’t. He had had been giving it to me all gf week with the “what would a girl know about footy etc” , and some other delightful things. He was so pissedoff that we won, I didn’t have to say a word. I just kept smiling at him. He went off the richter at me, in front of our boss, he was put on notice if he harassed me again he’d be out. Such a classy guy.

Lame don't let a few twits ruin it

Seen a lot of great hawks fan comments

Knew it was coming soonish but still sad, actually shed more tears than I thought I would. 😢 It has been an absolute joy to watch the great man run around in the red and white. Absolute legend. We are all so lucky to have witnessed one of the greats play for our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

Back