Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 23. David Myers

He looks a good size and has a nice kick on him. Just watching him through the pre-season and last week he hasn't impressed me much, he seems to fumble or make the wrong decision an awful lot. I'm hoping he's just a little out of touch at the moment.

yeah it's a disgrace that a 9 gamer or whatever isn't totally confident yet. I mean, they should all be Judd's, shouldn't they?

Why are you so uptight about people having a negative opinion of Myers Lance?

They can only judge him on what they've seen.

Why are you so uptight about people having a negative opinion of Myers Lance?

They can only judge him on what they've seen.

uptight?

Call it whatever you like. They can have their opinion, surely I can have mine?

I have a real issue when people write off a young player after less than 20 games. It's ludicrous really. I'm not saying definitively he'll be a star, but he has the physical tools and the mental attitude, so why not give the kid a break and let him play footy without getting all Chicken Little on his ass?

Seriously. He hasn't even played 10 games. There's such a tunnel vision mentality on fan forums, whereby if a player isn't performing now, then he never will. So many people can't or won't see the bigger picture.

The perfect example imo is Nick Del Santo.

This time last year, almost every man and his dog - even many St Kilda fans - were writing him off. Calling him soft. Calling him useless. And he's played how many games?

There was talk he'd come to Essendon, and **** me dead, if there weren't Essendon supporters saying they "wouldn't want that crab". Personally, I would have moved heaven and earth to get him in the blood n black.

This year he's playing to his potential and may well win the Brownlow.

I'm not uptight; I just have no tolerance for Chicken Little supporters who can't see the woods for the trees

yeah, Sam Mitchell struggles doesn't he

Knob.
Couldn't have picked a different type player if you tried.

I think he's a great prospect. I'm not worried about his tendency to blaze away and not lower his eyes as that will come with game time. I know he's barely played, but i'm just worried about his pace.
Hardly writing a player off.

Knob.
Couldn't have picked a different type player if you tried.

I think he's a great prospect. I'm not worried about his tendency to blaze away and not lower his eyes as that will come with game time. I know he's barely played, but i'm just worried about his pace.
Hardly writing a player off.

way to miss the point, but don't worry, I won't engage in personal abuse ;)

It doesn't matter if they are the same 'type' of player, whatever that means. It merely illustrates that you don't need pace necessarily to be effective.

I'm glad you think he'll be a good player (not that you mentioned that in your original post ;) ), but if you're too thin-skinned to handle people disagreeing with you, you should probably cancel your BF account :)

Not too 'thin-skinned'. Just merely giving my observations on a player. You seem to think that if a poster critiques a player it's 'writing them off', as you said it's an observation of them as a player now. The product today is definitely not the finished product, so of course they have things to work on.

And hey, i've been member of BF for 6 years now.. not quitting yet, i'm nearing long-service leave ;)

Not too 'thin-skinned'. Just merely giving my observations on a player. You seem to think that if a poster critiques a player it's 'writing them off', as you said it's an observation of them as a player now. The product today is definitely not the finished product, so of course they have things to work on.

And hey, i've been member of BF for 6 years now.. not quitting yet, i'm nearing long-service leave ;)

all good mate :) It looks like we're probably both arguing the same point from different perspectives. Nothing wrong with a robust exchange of views :cool:

Looked fairly rusty during the Freo game, although you can see the potential there, that kick could be a deadly weapon soon.

I have a real issue when people write off a young player after less than 20 games. It's ludicrous really. I'm not saying definitively he'll be a star, but he has the physical tools and the mental attitude, so why not give the kid a break and let him play footy without getting all Chicken Little on his ass?

Seriously. He hasn't even played 10 games. There's such a tunnel vision mentality on fan forums, whereby if a player isn't performing now, then he never will. So many people can't or won't see the bigger picture.

I understand what you're saying but, as wezza said, I think you're mixing up people giving their opinion on Myers' negatives with writing him off.

At least they're not calling him Meyers. :)

Slotting into an accountable half back slot is very difficult, and he is going to take time to find his way.

The ability to pick when to work off your opponent isn't something that comes naturally to anybody, it comes with experience.

We're not in a position where we can drop him in as a fifth onballer and he can leach possessions of others at the end of quarters. Quite simply, we don't have the players for him to leach off. We've got to develop him differently, and he'll learn a hell of a lot where he is.

I hope we do release him on the wing at different times this season, but whilst we're not, we're going to have to accept that he's not going to sport the same flashyness that other young players have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to all the mock drafts a few years ago, Ants included, they all stated that Myers was highly skilled and could be damaging off the half back flank.

His skill level so far hasn't been good enough and many have questioned this. His pace off half back is also a worry.

I can only see him playing a midfield type role similar to Ling where he uses his size and strength to get the ball and dish it off. Not sure if he has the tank to play midfield. Others might know.

Interesting times for Myers. We've seen Zaharakis come in and pin point passes immediately and move ahead of him after one game.

I'm still waiting for him to do something that actually tells me he can play league football.... till then I will question him.

Had a look at his frame yesterday, I'd say he's about 2 years off being ready to have a serious impact.

Big chest, big shoulders that rest on some blue tack for a core and two icy pole sticks. He's top heavy and out of proportion.

I'd stick with him next week, there's not an obvious replacement for him and going up and down like a yo-yo definitely won't do him any favours.

Re: David Myers

That sounds alright, but i was thinking more along the lines of
Long kick goes into their foward line but Lee strong mark. He takes off and kicks long to Peverill on the wing. Safe mark, hands off to Dyson sprinting pass and brilliant 50m pass to big Courtney on the lead who goes back and bombs it into the 2nd tier of the crowd.

:D Fail!!! hah

The crows recruiting manager said early in the year that he would be a very good chance for raising star this year. My supercoach team is hoping he has a breakout game very soon.

The crows recruiting manager said early in the year that he would be a very good chance for raising star this year. My supercoach team is hoping he has a breakout game very soon.

According to some on this board they say Myers is a long term project and we'll have to wait 3 or 4 years. I guess they differ in opinion to a guy that has a job at AFL level.

I just want the kid to show something and not look like a wasted pick. He's got 0 chance of rising star and is fast becoming Knights lovechild by getting undeserved games.

I personally would keep him in the side. Although he was quitet, i thought his game last night was an improvement compared to his earlier games and he looked to be moving more freely.

According to some on this board they say Myers is a long term project and we'll have to wait 3 or 4 years. I guess they differ in opinion to a guy that has a job at AFL level.

I just want the kid to show something and not look like a wasted pick. He's got 0 chance of rising star and is fast becoming Knights lovechild by getting undeserved games.

You are fast becoming an a N*B of epic proportions

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back