Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: David Myers - Starting 22?

SJ, you have some very good points the majority of the time but think you are off the mark on this one. Myers might not be all you want in a pick 6 but he is certainly best 22 and Hirdy has shown this. This can change quickly though but hopefully he has his first uninterrupted full pre-season and can push into a midfield role and either switch back or even forward for stints as the back 6 is starting to look settled depending on injuries of course.

Whomb, what is with the trolling, man?

Surely as a mod, you should refrain from getting personal?

I spose you're gonna say it wasn't directed to me right?

You should card yourself.
No, it was directed at you.

Noted, though. I've fixed the post up.

My point about him always being selected is true, though. You can't dispute that.

SJ, you have some very good points the majority of the time but think you are off the mark on this one. Myers might not be all you want in a pick 6 but he is certainly best 22 and Hirdy has shown this. This can change quickly though but hopefully he has his first uninterrupted full pre-season and can push into a midfield role and either switch back or even forward for stints as the back 6 is starting to look settled depending on injuries of course.

Yeah possibly. I didn't even start this thread. A moderator started it and put my name on it without consent. It was a passing comment made in another thread in comparison to Watson.

It's probably going to come accross like I'm getting stuck into Myers but I'm not.

All I said is that at the same stage Watson was better and that you can't categorically call Myers a definite best 22. Seems others disagree but I don't think it warrants personal attacks. Especially from someone that calls himself a mod.

It would come down to how they want to structure up. If all of our talls are avaialable I don't think Myers can play in defence. Hooker and Pears are the obvious choices with Fletcher playing third tall. Hurley, Crameri and Carlisle/Gumby up forward as well as our rucks rotating through.

It means Myers into the mids. Not sure he has cemented a place in our midfield just yet.

Yeah possibly. I didn't even start this thread. A moderator started it and put my name on it without consent. I question his motives for doing so.
I thought it warranted a new thread, so I took the posts and moved them into a new thread. I've done similar things probably 50-100 times before.

If you're unhappy with that, I have no problem "putting somebody else's name to it without consent."
Seems others disagree but I don't think it warrants personal attacks. Especially from someone that calls himself a mod.
Pot kettle black.

I've apologised for that, and edited it. Consider it my slap on the wrist, as certain others have received countless times, hey. :)

Re: 2011 Official Trade/Delisting Discussion Thread IIII

Easily best 22?

Hooker, Pears, Hurley, Carlisle, Gumby all fit.

Would be bordeline.

What is this statement. It reads as though you have Hooker, Pears, Hurley, Carlisle, Gumby all fit ahead of Myers. That is how I read it.

FWIW My editing was to fix up gramatical errors, not to change what I wrote.

Pot Kettle black? You are a mod, ffs. Are you saying there is no difference?

Whomb, Tayte Pears played well in round 1 didn't he. Glad we had a full squad to choose from.

He has stopped growing hasnt he? I would love to know what his current height is, if he is taller than cramers then he is close to Hurleys height. As someone mentioned before if Robinson can find the right balance between Myers not losing too much of his strength and regaining a bit of mobility or speed from his younger days, he could be proving alot of people wrong. Jimi is right if we are fully fit he is not our key back, I would like to see him in the centre square with Jobe and Zaka round 1.

Re: 2011 Official Trade/Delisting Discussion Thread IIII

What is this statement. It reads as though you have Hooker, Pears, Hurley, Carlisle, Gumby all fit. That is how I read it.

FWIW My editing was to fix up gramatical errors, not to change what I wrote.

Far out, man. I'm refering to structures.

Myers is currently a better footballer than Gumby. It has nothing to do with my post.

If Gumby is fit the club might decide that our best setup would be having Hurley and Gumby as our main forwards.

This was my best-22 from the "Best 22 in 2012" thread

B: Fletcher - Hooker - Myers
HB: Dempsey - Pears - Heppell
C: Zaharakis - Watson - Stanton
HF: Crameri - Hurley - Monfries
F: Winderlich - Carlisle - Jetta
R: Ryder - Hocking - Melksham
INT: Bellchambers - Howlett - Lonergan - (Reimers)

EMG: Hibberd - Prismall - Hille

Welsh, McVeigh and Hille - all replaced.

This is a 22 based on 100% availability.

Personally I believe Myers gets in ahead of Hardingham/Hibberd...just. There isn't much between them but I think Myers is the most polished out of the medium defenders, he is also surprisingly good one on one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pot Kettle black? You are a mod, ffs. Are you saying there is no difference?
No, there's no need for it no matter the status.
Tayte Pears played well in round 1 didn't he. Glad we had a full squad to choose from.
Sorry, we had 43, not 44 players to choose from.

When Pears and Hooker were playing? Ohh, oh, yep, Myers still played.

Has Myers gone past Stanton as the most polarizing essendon player?

He is also great cover if one our Pears or Hooker go down (inevitable) we wont have to swing Carlisle or Hurley back, especially if they are both rag dolling defenders and starring, which will be happening :)

Big pre-season for Myers.

The coaches selected Myers in defence all year when we had all our tall defenders avialable? :confused::confused:

Myers has been picked every game when he has been fit. That is the definition of best 22. If you want to make up your own silly definition based on what you think then go for it, but don't be surprised when no one is agreeing with you.

Myers has not just been played as a key defender, by the way. Also: Round 13, Fletcher, Pears, Hooker, Myers.

Oh wait, now you're going to argue Carlisle is "best 22" ahead of Myers, right? Or that Myers can't play HBF?

I can't recall a real stinker of a game from him this year. He almost always did something good in a game, or had a decent half. He just seemed to run out of puff through matches (like Lloyd pointed out) but that is fixable.

No, there's no need for it no matter the status.

Keep extracting the urine. :thumbsu:

A factory worker getting done speeding is just the same as the chief of police doing it.

Status has no bearing at all. It's all the same. The chief of police doesn't have a higher set of standards that he must adhere to.

Whomb, what is with the trolling, man?

Surely as a mod, you should refrain from getting personal?

I spose you're gonna say it wasn't directed to me right?

You should card yourself.

Thats a bit rich, coming from someone who doesn not mind doing a fair bit of trolling.

FWIW I agree with your position on Myers. Not good enough one-on-one to be a tall defender, not quick enough to cover the smaller guys. I keep hearing about his clearance ability but does not seem anything better than Lonergan or Howlett.

Don't care about his draft position at this point, that has passed, just don't see where he fits into an AFL 22.

Thats a bit rich, coming from someone who doesn not mind doing a fair bit of trolling.

FWIW I agree with your position on Myers. Not good enough one-on-one to be a tall defender, not quick enough to cover the smaller guys. I keep hearing about his clearance ability but does not seem anything better than Lonergan or Howlett.

Don't care about his draft position at this point, that has passed, just don't see where he fits into an AFL 22.

I don't deny it and I've got nothing against anyone that does the same. I've even said that I don't care if people have personal cracks at me. It's all part of the fun.

I just think that mods should conform to a higher standard than the rest of us. I'm pretty sure that If I have a personal crack at Whomb im going to be wearing a red card pretty quickly.

I'm not sure what it is but I'm quite excited about what Myers could provide for us next year as either a third tall down back or running defender. In my eyes, they were starting to groom Myers this year for a bigger role next season in getting the ball into his hands namely to clear the zone. I also think is he more than capable one on one and will benefit significantly from the confidence gained from this season both in his ability and his body.

My gut feel tells me he will be an important player in the future and a leader of the club.

I am confused !

Who started this thread - Whomb or SJ ?

Should we start a poll !

Seems an academic argument - Watson was dominating games of footy in his 4th year - Myers is nowhere near this level YET - Although Happy with Myer's progress in 2011.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back