Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 23. David Myers

According to all the mock drafts a few years ago, Ants included, they all stated that Myers was highly skilled and could be damaging off the half back flank.

His skill level so far hasn't been good enough and many have questioned this. His pace off half back is also a worry.

I can only see him playing a midfield type role similar to Ling where he uses his size and strength to get the ball and dish it off. Not sure if he has the tank to play midfield. Others might know.

Interesting times for Myers. We've seen Zaharakis come in and pin point passes immediately and move ahead of him after one game.

I'm still waiting for him to do something that actually tells me he can play league football.... till then I will question him.

His skill level on both sides is pretty good. That was always the case but if you go back and look at the you tube footage of him you will see that he has had problems with kicking to a contests or missing targets becasue of a poor decision on where to kick the ball.

As far as Zaka pinpointing passes he has only had 1 game where he has gone over 70% eff. All his other games he has been between 60% to 65% so that suggests that you need to research a bit more.
On Saturday Zaka pin pointed three passes directly to Brisbane players in our frward line.

Re: David Myers

According to some on this board they say Myers is a long term project and we'll have to wait 3 or 4 years. I guess they differ in opinion to a guy that has a job at AFL level.

I just want the kid to show something and not look like a wasted pick. He's got 0 chance of rising star and is fast becoming Knights lovechild by getting undeserved games.

You drop kick.
Are you suggesting that if Daniher, Pears and Hurley where all fit to play and we still had Hille in the ruck that Myers would be carried in games ?

The simple fact is he would not. Daniher would have his spot if he was not injured. It comes down to who you have available to play each week.

Have had a really close look at him in 3 games over the last 4 weeks.
If you get the binocs out and have a close look at his clearance work you will see he has the footy smarts to be where the ball lands more often than not. His clearance work be it winning the ball or blocking for another player has been great.
His has also been a one touch player at grund level. Very few fumbles.

I think there is one issue and it goes some way to providing an answer to his ordinary senior form early this year. His pace. He is not overly quick in open play. I think this has caused serios issues with the running half back role he has been put in.

If he gets his core strength up then the form he has shown in the clearances in recent weeks will be handy as it gives us someone who can rotate with Watson.
Despite him being a bit slow and not great at chasing players down he has also been pretty smart as far as picking up an opponent that is close to him when we havn't got the ball.

When you watch him in the middle really close up you will see he is a natural at finding the ball.

When you watch him in the middle really close up...

images

You're starting to scare me a little Ant! :D

Kidding, nice observations and can honestly say I haven't seen much VFL at all this year; and probably a good thing too. :p

I think there is one issue and it goes some way to providing an answer to his ordinary senior form early this year. His pace. He is not overly quick in open play. I think this has caused serios issues with the running half back role he has been put in.
He was quick enough during the U18s champs, was he not? Or did he just seem quicker in a lesser competition?

He was quick enough during the U18s champs, was he not?

He was quick enough for that HB role in the U18 Champs, yep. He has never been lightning quick, but in saying that he has never been terribly slow either.

Be interesting to see what type of player we'll look to mould him into in the near future.

I think that there is every chance that Myers will get a senior game this year if he continues his current form in the VFL.

I posted previously that he is good at clearances and extracting the ball at ground level.

He will probably end up being an inside mid - But a bit different from Watson - In that he has more pace and a longer kick.

Have had a really close look at him in 3 games over the last 4 weeks.
If you get the binocs out and have a close look at his clearance work you will see he has the footy smarts to be where the ball lands more often than not. His clearance work be it winning the ball or blocking for another player has been great.
His has also been a one touch player at grund level. Very few fumbles.

If he gets his core strength up then the form he has shown in the clearances in recent weeks will be handy as it gives us someone who can rotate with Watson.
Despite him being a bit slow and not great at chasing players down he has also been pretty smart as far as picking up an opponent that is close to him when we havn't got the ball.

When you watch him in the middle really close up you will see he is a natural at finding the ball.

excellent. I said in another thread, he's starting to knock on the door...

If he can help Jobe out, he could become a very important player. Sounds very positive that he knows where he needs to be, and he's starting to get some serious extraction going :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recruited from Perth, Myers - who was born 30 June, 1989 - is a potent left-footer and a graduate of the 2005/06 AIS-AFL Academy.

He also won the Barassi Medal as the best and fairest player during the Australian U17 squad’s 2006 series against Ireland. His time of 3.01sec for 20m at the 2007 NAB AFL Draft Camp highlighted his impressive speed for a 190.7cm defender

3.01sec is certainly not slow in fact thats some dash

Recruited from Perth, Myers - who was born 30 June, 1989 - is a potent left-footer and a graduate of the 2005/06 AIS-AFL Academy.

He also won the Barassi Medal as the best and fairest player during the Australian U17 squad’s 2006 series against Ireland. His time of 3.01sec for 20m at the 2007 NAB AFL Draft Camp highlighted his impressive speed for a 190.7cm defender

3.01sec is certainly not slow in fact thats some dash
It's an average time, not quick nor slow. When he was in the seniors earlier this year he looked real slow, whether he was carrying an injury or not i don't know, but by the time he was about to kick, he was already caught most of the times. He also looked to have a real slow thought process and took a lot of time to make a decision.
He was also carved up on most occasions at half back because forwards just got away from him far too easily. This is why when he comes back into the side he must spend time in the middle because that's where he is most effective.

Always wanted him in the middle, not just for his footy brain but also to use that left foot of his going deep inside 50, fast.

He's been sketchy shooting at goal but when his confidence picks up i think he can become a hard working, goal kicking midfielder with a D.Rich like penetrating pass.

It's an average time, not quick nor slow. When he was in the seniors earlier this year he looked real slow, whether he was carrying an injury or not i don't know, but by the time he was about to kick, he was already caught most of the times. He also looked to have a real slow thought process and took a lot of time to make a decision.
He was also carved up on most occasions at half back because forwards just got away from him far too easily. This is why when he comes back into the side he must spend time in the middle because that's where he is most effective.

I'd say it is due to him needing work on his endurance. Pretty hard to run flat out when your stuffed. A few more pre-seasons and he will have a bit more zing in his legs.

I notice on the WC board there is discussion about the progress of Brad Ebert.

He has similar characteristics as Myers but seems to be struggling like Myers in his second year.

Possibly Kelvin wants to swap Myers for Ebert.

I am predicting that 2010 is going to be a break out year for Myers. He is going to be super important to our set-up as it has been proven this year that if Watson gets taken out of the match, we have no other real clearance option to get our game going.

Let's hope that he can have a full pre-season and come out ripped with some decent endurance for the 2010 season. Let's also hope that Knights forgets this idea that he is a half-back flanker:thumbsu:. I think he could be a brut of a player in close with his physicality.

If Hille can recover and play somewhere near his best, he should also assist us in this area.

for 191cm and his mature body that is not to bad, but i guess it means nothing if can't be quick on the field

Is he definately being groomed for an out-and-out midfielders role?

Looks that way. His clearance work was very good again on the weekend. Very clean hands in close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back