Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: David Myers - Starting 22?

Absolutely in the best 22. Broken arm interrupted his season, and took a while to slot back in, but definitely in our best side when firing

I think one of Myers major weaknesses is his agility. That's where you hold your breath when he plays on smaller, highly agile goal kicking forwards.

Not that he can't do it, But his change of direction is horrible which makes it hard against these types.
I'd still hold that that also happens when the Reiwoldts/Franklins/Clokes of this world play on Pears, Hooker, Fletcher and so on.

Reality is, every single one of our backmen, to a man, have been destroyed over the last few years.
A lot of those, I'll still maintain, haven't really been the fault of them in particular, given how often & easily the ball has come in. And, given basically only one or two have been moved out of Knights' preferred backline which leaked like a sieve, the club also agrees it wasn't the defenders per se.

All have looked - under those trying conditions - either too small, too slow, too young, too old, not skilful enough, or too big & not agile enough... etc etc.

I think - without compeltely forgetting or ignoring what they don't do well (or who they don't match up well on) - we need to remember first and foremost what they do do well (and who they do match up well on).

I'd still hold that that also happens when the Reiwoldts/Franklins/Clokes of this world play on Pears, Hooker, Fletcher and so on.

Reality is, every single one of our backmen, to a man, have been destroyed over the last few years.
A lot of those, I'll still maintain, haven't really been the fault of them in particular, given how often & easily the ball has come in. And, given basically only one or two have been moved out of Knights' preferred backline which leaked like a sieve, the club also agrees it wasn't the defenders per se.

All have looked - under those trying conditions - either too small, too slow, too young, too old, not skilful enough, or too big & not agile enough... etc etc.

I think - without compeltely forgetting or ignoring what they don't do well (or who they don't match up well on) - we need to remember first and foremost what they do do well (and who they do match up well on).

Myers- Can play as a third tall down back or pick up a medium size defender. Can play in the middle and even swing forward. These attributes make him worth his weight in gold. Fingers crossed he gets through a full preseason and we may finally see why we took him a no.6 in the draft.

Refer the majority of my posts on this thread. Mainly a possitive spin on his game and ability to take a massive leap forward over the next year or so.

For all his strengths, he's got the turning circle of the QE2... Be that from injury or natural incapabilities, it's hard to argue based on what he's displayed at senior level to date.

Still worry every time he gets the ball (bombs it long to contests WAY to often) but went a way to convince me there is a hope with him. Was okay this year, no more than that, but the signs were there. I don't think he is ever going to play middle regularly like many has hoped (not quick or agile enough IMO), but could be a handy 3rd tall. I'm hoping he drops a few pounds and is able to pick up his speed over preseason. Deserves to start in the 22 in round one, but far from a lock for mine.

Still a chance he can become a player. Made some steps this year but not convinced and not sure what exactly he is being shaped into. KPD, Midfielder. Flanker?

Not sure Why you would draft him at 6 on the following evidence.

[YOUTUBE]mZymacYaAhE[/YOUTUBE]

In that video you can see how well he moves and that was just not the case in his first few years at Essendon. I think he was moving much better this year, though not as well as that. I have spotted him in full training in the preseason video so expect him to come out in much better shape this season.

He has great 400m ability and will be a good gut running mid because of it. He has a massive left boot and showed in that video that while he was adjusted to the pace of that game, as well as having enough pace to run away from some blokes, he can hit up a good pass.

What has caused him problems so far is that he's kept on growing and also putting on muscle in the gym has slowed him down. I wouldn't be surprised if he's carried some groin or hip issue as well. So while this growth seems to have played a part in hindering his movement up to now hopefully it becomes a key to developing an inside game as well.

Also it is well known that he is a fantastic person in every way. He is someone that will get the absolute most out of himself. If he is lucky and his body holds up I expect he'll be a big bodied mid who can impact the stoppages, gut run and be an outside weapon with his long kicking.

And to take an each way bet he could be unlucky and his body never settles down and he will continue to struggle at this level!!! Here's hoping that he does get a good run at it.

It's strange watching that video now.

It's like watching 2 different players the way they move.

I still reckon his spot is in the middle. Here's hoping for a clean pre-season and cracking 2012. I think he could be the big mover of the year... I've got a fealing there will be a few contenders in the category next year based on where the list is at.

Still a chance he can become a player. Made some steps this year but not convinced and not sure what exactly he is being shaped into. KPD, Midfielder. Flanker?

Not sure Why you would draft him at 6 on the following evidence.

[youtube]mZymacYaAhE[/youtube]
Yeah, why did they only watch a couple of minutes of youtube?
****ing idiots!

Yeah, why did they only watch a couple of minutes of youtube?
****ing idiots!

Not suggesting that the decision to draft him was based on minutes of youtube footage. Just that nothing really jumped out at me as being a top 10 pick.

On here we were all mad about missing Morton & Masten, and passing on Ebert/Palmer.
I still don't think he's been a bad choice.
Those 4 are nothing spesh at all - and I can understand why they passed on Masten/Palmer if the rumours of how much they enjoy the night life are anywhere near correct.

The logical error you're making is that the YT footage really tells you anything. There's a reason any scout (even the serious draft-watchers on here) will make sure they watch multiple games live or recorded.

It's strange watching that video now.

It's like watching 2 different players the way they move.

Agreed but not only in leg speed but flexibility through his core and upper body and ability to pick the ball up cleanly off the ground. Whoever was in control of his weights program in the first 2 years should be ashamed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On here we were all mad about missing Morton & Masten, and passing on Ebert/Palmer.
I still don't think he's been a bad choice.
Those 4 are nothing spesh at all - and I can understand why they passed on Masten/Palmer if the rumours of how much they enjoy the night life are anywhere near correct.

The logical error you're making is that the YT footage really tells you anything. There's a reason any scout (even the serious draft-watchers on here) will make sure they watch multiple games live or recorded.

Yes I understand, recruiters dont draft people based on a few seconds of 360x240 youtube footage. Thanks for remininding me several times, now I hope we can move on.

Not that many out of the 2007 draft seetting the world on fire.

1 Matthew Kreuzer
2 Trent Cotchin
3 Chris Masten
4 Cale Morton
5 Jarrad Grant
6 David Myers
7 Rhys Palmer
8 Lachlan Henderson
9 Ben McEvoy
10 Patrick Dangerfield
11 Patrick Veszpremi
12 Cyril Rioli
13 Brad Ebert
14 Jack Grimes
15 Robbie Tarrant
16 Matthew Lobbe
17 Harry Taylor
18 Alex Rance
19 Callan Ward

20 Tony Notte

I would take the ones in green before myers with the benefit of hindsight.

Yes I understand, recruiters dont draft people based on a few seconds of 360x240 youtube footage. Thanks for remininding me several times, now I hope we can move on.

1 Matthew Kreuzer
2 Trent Cotchin
3 Chris Masten
4 Cale Morton
5 Jarrad Grant
6 David Myers
7 Rhys Palmer
8 Lachlan Henderson
9 Ben McEvoy
10 Patrick Dangerfield
11 Patrick Veszpremi
12 Cyril Rioli
13 Brad Ebert
14 Jack Grimes
15 Robbie Tarrant
16 Matthew Lobbe
17 Harry Taylor
18 Alex Rance
19 Callan Ward
20 Tony Notte

I would take the ones in green before myers with the benefit of hindsight. At this stage but that could change

Edited to reflect my point of view.

1 Matthew Kreuzer
2 Trent Cotchin
3 Chris Masten
4 Cale Morton
5 Jarrad Grant
6 David Myers
7 Rhys Palmer
8 Lachlan Henderson
9 Ben McEvoy
10 Patrick Dangerfield
11 Patrick Veszpremi
12 Cyril Rioli
13 Brad Ebert
14 Jack Grimes
15 Robbie Tarrant
16 Matthew Lobbe
17 Harry Taylor
18 Alex Rance
19 Callan Ward
20 Tony Notte

I would take the ones in green before myers with the benefit of hindsight.
For me. Don't really need Taylor, Rance or McEvoy

For me. Don't really need Taylor, Rance or McEvoy

We sort of needed Taylor and Rance because we hadn't picked up Hurley, Carlisle Pears or Hooker yet. Granted we picked up two of them minutes later.

After reconsidering agree on Mcevoy but still is a decent pickup.

Hopefully I can do this again at the end of next year and Myers has leapfrogged these guys.

Re: 23. David Myers

Write up on AFL.com.au

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/130630/default.aspx
myersalb.jpg

He played only 58 per cent of game time after being a substitute for most of the first half, but finished with 16 disposals, six inside 50s - the most of any Bomber - and had a disposal efficiency of 88 per cent. His attributes were all on show.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/130630/default.aspx

Here's hoping it finally happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back