AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - 📦 Traded to GWS for Pick #53 - 16/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Stringer was awful tonight. Trying to stiff arm anyone who came near him was his first priority. It was all about him. Gave away at least 1 terrible free kick and lucky not to give away more. He filled Devs role tonight.

It was beneath him and he needs to pull his head in. Not good enough.

Stringer was awful tonight. Trying to stiff arm anyone who came near him was his first priority. It was all about him. Gave away at least 1 terrible free kick and lucky not to give away more. He filled Devs role tonight.

It was beneath him and he needs to pull his head in. Not good enough.
Needs to pull his head in? Seriously??? He is our most inpactful fwd when on. The fwd line is mostly shit, and has been for most of the year.

So he comes back from a long lay off and tries, but fails due to game time and fitness, to make that impact.

His game was far from perfect, in fact no where near it, but cut the guy sone slack due to the amount of time he has had off and the pressure to perform st an elite level first up.

Did you judge Jones just as harshly? Can't bf looking. Will you also be as harsh with Snelling and Langford when they return? It is what it is. Too many games missed to make a meaningful impact first up when they return.

Certain players can win a game off their boot, Jake is one of them. So no wonder he tried the impossible here and there.

I was at the game. It was embarrassing to watch. Instead of trying to work his way into the game and do the team thing, he tried to stiff arm everyone. Got caught HTB twice doing it (did you see that?)

Gave away a really undisciplined free that cost us a goal with his churlishness and nearly cost us another one.

He is a great player when on. Was a terrible performance tonight by one of our best paid and more experienced players. It was embarrassing. Expect better next week. Stop making excuses for rubbish

If he was a race horse stats would read

1st up 0/0/0
2nd up 0/0/0
3rd up 0/0/1
4th up 0/1/1

Needs a long prep to wind up. Just there for the run 1st up, looks gross like he's in foal
He usually fires fourth up.:cool:
Should be playing today given his history of minimal output first game back.

Trying to fend off every tackle that came his way was dumb.

Basically a non-event tonight, but he’s got enough credits in the bank that I can assume he’ll be better for the run and do something next week

He looked overweight in the midweek footage.

I dont really see why they played him given he has been fit enough to perform maybe one or two weeks since the season started.

I was at the game. It was embarrassing to watch. Instead of trying to work his way into the game and do the team thing, he tried to stiff arm everyone. Got caught HTB twice doing it (did you see that?)

Gave away a really undisciplined free that cost us a goal with his churlishness and nearly cost us another one.

He is a great player when on. Was a terrible performance tonight by one of our best paid and more experienced players. It was embarrassing. Expect better next week. Stop making excuses for rubbish

I wonder if someone got in his ear (like Sheeds) and told him to ruffle a few feathers to try to put them off their game. We don't have much in the way of players that have that sort of attitude and can play that way. Not saying it's a good thing, just that he seemed really focused on the physical stuff.

I remember Sheedy wound up Ryan O'Conner once before he got him to play on Lockett. He was acting like a madman, but I don't think it helped in the end if I remember correctly. And there was another time under Sheeds that a few players went out their way to physically intimidate Carey all game, which actually worked.

He’s clearly not 100% fit and ready to play, and if Rutten said he was he’s lying.

The guy’s role is to attend centre bounces and then go forward.

He attended one centre bounce last night. He was played in a reduced role. If he was fit and ready he wouldn’t be, end of story.

I wonder if someone got in his ear (like Sheeds) and told him to ruffle a few feathers to try to put them off their game. We don't have much in the way of players that have that sort of attitude and can play that way. Not saying it's a good thing, just that he seemed really focused on the physical stuff.

I remember Sheedy wound up Ryan O'Conner once before he got him to play on Lockett. He was acting like a madman, but I don't think it helped in the end if I remember correctly. And there was another time under Sheeds that a few players went out their way to physically intimidate Carey all game, which actually worked.
Stringer has plenty of that attitude without Sheedy’s input 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s clearly not 100% fit and ready to play, and if Rutten said he was he’s lying.

The guy’s role is to attend centre bounces and then go forward.

He attended one centre bounce last night. He was played in a reduced role. If he was fit and ready he wouldn’t be, end of story.
He basically gave him a bake for not being as impactful despite the extra time to get in shape… could’ve played a week earlier.

ESSENDON coach Ben Rutten has declared his struggling side needs more from Jake Stringer than the returning star produced against Carlton, labelling his game "poor".

When asked if Stringer – playing his first game since a hamstring injury suffered in round seven – needed more continuity in his footy after nine disposals, one mark and one behind in the 26-point loss to the Blues, Rutten was blunt.

"I hope so. Yeah, he had a poor game tonight, he's a senior player for us, we need more from him. Hopefully he'll get a bounce out of that," Rutten said.

"I don't think [he needs more training]. His last couple of weeks – he would have played last week if we didn't have the bye, so his preparation's been fine."

He’s the coach and he played him in a reduced role. Wtf is he on about?
I, um. I think you need to watch his game again… 😕 his extended “highlights” on the AFL app is probably sufficient if you don’t want to watch the whole game again, it’s there now from last night.

I actually found it hard to watch, he looks like he’s completely not ready for the speed of the game at AFL level.

Even playing almost exclusively forward for 75% game time, disposal was awful and decision making is suspect. He doesn’t look like Jake.

His opponent got the better of him too but at his usual level he would’ve been much harder to handle.

He basically gave him a bake for not being as impactful despite the extra time to get in shape… could’ve played a week earlier.

I think it was Rama this arvo on the radio that felt it was a dig at Jake saying that he's "fit" in that he's not injured, but that he isn't training hard enough.

I, um. I think you need to watch his game again… 😕 his extended “highlights” on the AFL app is probably sufficient if you don’t want to watch the whole game again, it’s there now from last night.

I actually found it hard to watch, he looks like he’s completely not ready for the speed of the game at AFL level.

Even playing almost exclusively forward for 75% game time, disposal was awful and decision making is suspect. He doesn’t look like Jake.

His opponent got the better of him too but at his usual level he would’ve been much harder to handle.

He doesn’t look in the slightest bit ready to play to me.

I would assume Rutten thinks the same, as he played him in a reduced role.

What I can’t understand is why he’d play somebody who isn’t ready, then have a go at him for not producing?

What I can’t understand is why he’d play somebody who isn’t ready, then have a go at him for not producing?

As I mentioned earlier he should've played in the 2s. He could've racked up 20 something possessions and a few goals and got a bit of confidence.

We know Stringer can play as a permanent forward to a very high standard. When he’s fully fit and firing he can do the forward role AND attend CBA’s.

I assume as a returning from injury player, they used him forward to build match fitness towards that role he played exceptional football in last season.

Instead of offering 75% as a forward, building to 100% as the ‘striker’ role, he offered nothing much at all.

He made poor choices when he got the ball trying to fend players off instead of keeping it simple and working in to the game. He’s capable of better at his current level of fitness, let alone what he can do as he gains match fitness.

We know Stringer can play as a permanent forward to a very high standard. When he’s fully fit and firing he can do the forward role AND attend CBA’s.

I assume as a returning from injury player, they used him forward to build match fitness towards that role he played exceptional football in last season.

Instead of offering 75% as a forward, building to 100% as the ‘striker’ role, he offered nothing much at all.

He made poor choices when he got the ball trying to fend players off instead of keeping it simple and working in to the game. He’s capable of better at his current level of fitness, let alone what he can do as he gains match fitness.

He seemed to be playing as a pretty deep forward on Friday and I’d dispute him or anybody else would be capable of playing that role to a high standard in our side at the moment. Our ball movement is painfully slow and anybody who plays deep forward just has the ball sat on their head with countless defenders flooded back on them. Stringer isn’t a great pack mark anyway, he’s too small.

I’m just a bit puzzled by Rutten having a go at him for apparently not being ready or fit? If that’s the case why the hell did he play him?

He seemed to be playing as a pretty deep forward on Friday and I’d dispute him or anybody else would be capable of playing that role to a high standard in our side at the moment. Our ball movement is painfully slow and anybody who plays deep forward just has the ball sat on their head with countless defenders flooded back on them. Stringer isn’t a great pack mark anyway, he’s too small.

I’m just a bit puzzled by Rutten having a go at him for apparently not being ready or fit? If that’s the case why the hell did he play him?
He was physically ready, which is to say his leg had healed and wasn’t going to be re-injured.

Given he wasn’t being rushed back and had completed some sort of performance block of training rather than being rushed back, he should’ve come back in a bit better form than he otherwise might have.

He just played poorly. He gave away three frees. When he had the ball he tried to wrestle with his opponent and got pinned for holding the ball. When he didn’t get pinned he handballed it to an opponent or to a teammate under pressure. He made no impacts. And when he had a shot on goal that he’d normally kick, straight in front and not even on a stupid angle, he missed it.

We don’t hold him to the standard of a first year that otherwise might have played in his spot. We hold him to a higher standard because he is capable of it and is paid accordingly. He’s a senior player and an on-field leader.

But he played like shit. It happens. And I’m sure he’d own it if anyone bothered to ask him.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - 📦 Traded to GWS for Pick #53 - 16/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back