AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't look interested last night. Maybe he's not happy about contract negotiations, or maybe his head is somewhere else.

missing goals is not doing his negotiations any good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very up and down season for him. Started like a house and fire, but looked like a burned out shell by the end.
10 goals in the first 3 games and looked like he could be one of the top forwards in the comp
24 going in to the bye
18 after the bye, but half of them cam in 2 games against Freo (4) and WCE (5). Only managed more than 1 on two more occasions
It's not all his fault, but in the 4 games we really needed to win (Melb, Adel, StK and GC) he kicked a total of 3 goals.

Not keen to totally gut the team … 5* retired or delisted is a good number.

*excluding trades for picks worth using.

Stringer isn’t getting us a draft pick of value or even remotely close to our top 5 to exit.

Without him our terrible forward line becomes… North.

Favourite whipping boy of the media and you lot, the whole forward line and connection with midfield has been dysfunctional all season but only Jake cops the vitriol.

Langford has had a similar drop off and hasn't been expected to pinch hit in midfield half the season, but he escapes the criticism Jake cops. How many good seasons has langers actually had? One on my count, yet he gets a long term contract as reward for being slightly above average for most of his career yet no one bats an eyelid, but even offering Jake 1 year gets everyone's hackles up.

Jake is an icing on the cake guy and isn't the biggest problem this list has.

Favourite whipping boy of the media and you lot, the whole forward line and connection with midfield has been dysfunctional all season but only Jake cops the vitriol.

Langford has had a similar drop off and hasn't been expected to pinch hit in midfield half the season, but he escapes the criticism Jake cops. How many good seasons has langers actually had? One on my count, yet he gets a long term contract as reward for being slightly above average for most of his career yet no one bats an eyelid, but even offering Jake 1 year gets everyone's hackles up.

Agreed. We have far bigger issues on the list.

Well it's all conjecture, and if Jake signs on then I'll support him like I support our other players.

But the forwardline does look really unbalanced, and is not working well at all. It's probably easier to pick Jake out because he's older and we are semi-rebuilding. I'd be surprised if he was there next time we're looking to challenge. I think Langford has been getting over his hip injury and did seem to be moving a lot better against Brisbane.

I must admit I am curious what Scott and Co are going to do to the list. They said last year he wasn't in control of any changes, so it will be interesting to see if they go hard with the changes or are more conservative.

Not keen to totally gut the team … 5* retired or delisted is a good number.

*excluding trades for picks worth using.

Stringer isn’t getting us a draft pick of value or even remotely close to our top 5 to exit.

Without him our terrible forward line becomes… North.
Can’t play blokes that don’t get themselves right physically. Were trying to weed out these blokes as it’s poor culture.

We need consistent players that work hard every game.

Earlier in the season I would’ve given him 2 years. Now, I’d let him go for nothing.

I have no real issues with Jake but time to move on.

Too similar to Langford who is younger and more reliable. Best for both parties to move on.

That’s not true. Go have a look at Kyle Langford thread. If Stringer stays I’d trade Langford as he’s finally got some value and he’d be superfluous to a functioning forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back