Player Watch #25: Paul Curtis - has signed a three-year extension until end of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he'll iron those out over time. Fordy does some similar things. Kicks a beauty early and then misses late.
Let's just hope they can learn from it and make the higher percentage plays with time.

I think he'll iron those out over time. Fordy does some similar things. Kicks a beauty early and then misses late.
Let's just hope they can learn from it and make the higher percentage plays with time.
On the weekend Paulie missed early and nailed them late.

Which is good and bad I guess. He kicked them when it mattered but the fact he missed when it didn't matter also cost us.

I dunno if people noticed this or not but he also had a free or a mark right up against the point post and immediately hit up Shiels cos he was open. That's an aspect of his game that gets missed - he looks for better options and takes them quickly when he can.

That inboard kick was deplorable. Turned off soon after that.
Which one? God awful lazy with ball in hand outside the f50.

Curtis, Zurhaar, Ford is a cluster****, and guess what? We have another to bring in next season, too. Zane.

Of course, Rawling might draft another medium fwd yet, we can only hope...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Big game for this bloke.

Needs to hit the scoreboard. If RHJ, a player with a fraction of his experience can kick some classy goals, then this bloke should too with his eyes closed.

His intensity has dropped and needs to lift big time.

Curtis, Zurhaar, Ford is a cluster****, and guess what? We have another to bring in next season, too. Zane.

Ford will have his work cut out getting games IMO, good depth though and what we need. Zurhaar I can see why they signed but can't help shake the feeling a bit of daring might have been called for from a trade POV.

The glut of medium types is one of the biggest determinants of how well the team plays imo. If their effort's good and they lead up to the ball carrier, or at least get themselves to good spots, we have multiple options around half-forward and inside 50 and usually find a way forward, especially given they've all got good hands. If not, we bomb it at Larkey (and Teakle every now and again) and pray.

If their defensive intent is up to scratch, teams don't just slice through us like butter from half-back. They had a pleasing period of pressure around the Coll-Melb-GC games, but it's back to shit levels now.

For better or worse, we're stuck with the tweener brigade whilst successful teams seemingly build their forward lines around giants and smalls.

There's use for their talent but it's imbalanced as shit. I personally am just ****ing praying that their tanks and effort improve enough that we can roll them through the midfield for bursts and dilute the stagnancy inside 50. One or three decent smalls with good defensive application and roving ability would be nice too

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The glut of medium types is one of the biggest determinants of how well the team plays imo. If their effort's good and they lead up to the ball carrier, or at least get themselves to good spots, we have multiple options around half-forward and inside 50 and usually find a way forward, especially given they've all got good hands. If not, we bomb it at Larkey (and Teakle every now and again) and pray.

If their defensive intent is up to scratch, teams don't just slice through us like butter from half-back. They had a pleasing period of pressure around the Coll-Melb-GC games, but it's back to shit levels now.

For better or worse, we're stuck with the tweener brigade whilst successful teams seemingly build their forward lines around giants and smalls.

There's use for their talent but it's imbalanced as shit. I personally am just ****ing praying that their tanks and effort improve enough that we can roll them through the midfield for bursts and dilute the stagnancy inside 50. One or three decent smalls with good defensive application and roving ability would be nice too
With a good forward coach and good system/connection between mids etc you could have Larkey, three medium forwards (CZ, ZD and Ford), Paul Curtis and RHJ and make it worth it work so well.

They just need to know what to do and how to keep moving to create space for each other. Given the oldest of them are Larkey and Zurhaar, not someone like Jarrad Waite (with an extra 5 or 6 years of experience,) its on the forward coaches to bring that experience and ability to teach what to do imo.

Nah that's ridiculous, he played well with mix of shit moments.

Not the stat you want to be leading.

FYI I rate him highly and he’s in my top 10 important players on the list right now. Probably the 2nd best forward behind Larkey.

But he does some unexplainable shit that he needs to get out of his game ASAP.

FYI I rate him highly and he’s in my top 10 important players on the list right now. Probably the 2nd best forward behind Larkey.

Needs to go at the footy more.

We get it Paul, you’re strong. But he gets caught wrestling way too much.

Has those eye catching moments we all love. Then some eye catching moments we don't.

Just hope he doesn't end up like a Zurhaar where we are still saying these things even when he's an established AFL footballer with enough seasons under the belt to be better.

When will the umpires start giving PC the benefit of the doubt in those one on one, body-on-body contests? :think:

Hopefully PC will stop giving away so many frees from frustration with his own mistakes, the momentum of the game and the sh:t umpiring when we are winning more games.

He does do unexplainable shit, and it drives me up the ****ing wall.

BUT... he is umpired bafflingly unfairly. A fair few of those forty are rudimentary uses of the body in a marking contest for which he gets penalised. Apparently it's unbelievable that someone with Pacific Island heritage is strong enough to win a contest 🤦‍♂️

He also doesn't get rewarded for tackles as much as he should either. Not excusing the dumb shit but the stats make it look worse than it is

He also gets alot of shit frees paid against him for just being in the general vicinity of an oppo player while wearing a North jumper.

He does do unexplainable shit, and it drives me up the ****ing wall.

BUT... he is umpired bafflingly unfairly. A fair few of those forty are rudimentary uses of the body in a marking contest for which he gets penalised. Apparently it's unbelievable that someone with Pacific Island heritage is strong enough to win a contest 🤦‍♂️

He also doesn't get rewarded for tackles as much as he should either. Not excusing the dumb shit but the stats make it look worse than it is
More like a guy of such short in stature that is as strong as X

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #25: Paul Curtis - has signed a three-year extension until end of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back