AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Not offered a contract for 2025, thanks Kaine! 26/8

Remove this Banner Ad

let’s go Kaine “Margaret” Baldwin!
Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

I really want to see this guy succeed
as a forward though
I wouldn’t be surprised if he went forward and Langford went back really.

I have a vague memory of him playing forward in the second half of the VFL last week — perhaps that was the post-Rids injury clue we shoulda focused on 🤔

He does a couple nice things here and there, and a couple shockers. To be expected from a young fella.

But the crux of Baldwin as a player, forward or defence, is how are you going to forge a career with the mobility of The Black Pearl?

He does a couple nice things here and there, and a couple shockers. To be expected from a young fella.

But the crux of Baldwin as a player, forward or defence, is how are you going to forge a career with the mobility of The Black Pearl?
The greatest boat (apart from the Thousand Sunny eDPS) in the history of the universe?

Hope we give this a bit more of a go, I reckon it’s got legs.

Had a bit of a blooper moment but someone quite clearly called him out of it, reckon it was Charlie Cameron. Unfortunate because he made a great decision to peel off and intercept.

Lot's of upside, shame he had a couple of bad turnovers that cost us. Moved way better than last year, so hopefully getting some pace and agility back. Give him an extended run.

Hope we give this a bit more of a go, I reckon it’s got legs.

Had a bit of a blooper moment but someone quite clearly called him out of it, reckon it was Charlie Cameron. Unfortunate because he made a great decision to peel off and intercept.
Watch it again and you’ll find Duz had more of a chance to impact that contest and decided not to

Lot's of upside, shame he had a couple of bad turnovers that cost us. Moved way better than last year, so hopefully getting some pace and agility back. Give him an extended run.
Those turnovers were nearly brilliant pieces of play. Game of inches sometimes.

The intent was there but the pace of AFL just pipped him. Needs a few games in a row. I would have moved him forward in the last.

Watch it again and you’ll find Duz had more of a chance to impact that contest and decided not to
Wasn't one of Duz's better games tonight, some shockers from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Durham probably just needs to go anyway rather than letting Joe sneak around him but Baldwin swallows that if he doesn’t pull out of the contest, not a matter of chance to impact the contest or not. He was there.

But it has stopped thousands of others...
Is his mobility really that bad? I remember Francis used to stand out like a sore thumb but I thought Baldwin did a great job of getting to contests and getting up the ground tonight.

Thought he was reasonable enough. First game in defense at that level and only his 5th game in defense overall. He has actually only played 15 VFL games overall as well. Made some rookie errors but did some okay stuff.

Baldwin looked alright last night.
He got the ball, competed with the some of the best forwards in the league and made some impact.

Get more AFL games into him. Maybe his knees may a career foible, but while we are depleted in defence we have nothing to lose.

The kick down the wing or edge of the center was more his teammates fault that it was intercepted than his, teammates waiting for a chest mark rather than attacking the marking which is what the opposition did and ran straight off him standing there flat footed. So many of our players wait for the ball thinking they are going to turn the opposition inside out and the opposition ends up with easy uncontested possession and a massive head start

I don't see what we have to lose by continuing to play Baldwin at least until Laverde and Ridley are both back. With Ridley back alone might as well keep Baldwin in and Ridley can play 3rd tall (which is where nearly all of us would prefer him to play anyway).

I didn’t think much of his game but it feels wrong to put a line through him (like I did last night) so early. The few times I’ve seen him play haven’t been impressive but he deserves a chance like everyone else.

He did better than what I thought he would all things considering. Nothing to lose by playing him a few more times.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Not offered a contract for 2025, thanks Kaine! 26/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back