Past #26: Tarryn Thomas [Part III] - 18 week suspension confirmed; ineligible to play in '24 season; NMFC has officially sacked Tarryn.

Remove this Banner Ad

I know they don't own him and I'm not even advocating that they should have ensured he couldn't play elsewhere after the suspension, my implication was that for the club and it's supporters it would be a gut punch to see him playing elsewhere this year when he 'should' have been doing that with us, and for AFL house it's probably not the best optics to see him getting a second chance in the same season they effectively booted him from the league.

I highly doubt anyone will pick him up this season.

I hope he makes his way back onto a afl list.

Yeah nah, I sure don't.

Call me selfish but I sure as hell don't want a player as talented as him, who we invested so much time in coming back and ripping the competition up for another club, esp if he plays against us. Seeing him have any success elsewhere especially winning a flag, would just be another huge kick in the guts to this club.

The club or the AFL don’t own him. He’s been given an 18 week suspension and north delisted him. He can do whatever he wants after that. I hope he turns his life around, and as much as it will suck, I hope he makes his way back onto a afl list.
Not going to lie. It would/will be extremely hard watching him turn it on for another club.

I know we made the right call on Taz but it just doesn't feel right after all we have invested in him. Maybe I am still sore from Friday's game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lovely we do the right thing sticking by him. Guy can't control himself. We make the right call in sacking after so many chances. Now most likely ends up at another club next year. Meanwhile the prick is also our only even academy player. Shambles. 18 week ban? If the afl really sore it serious they'd have deregistered him. Don't know about everyone else but I'll be booing the hell out of him

Pies and Cats with ageing midfields.
F*** its been set up for them hasnt it. I despise this league but most of all our clubs inability to get its s**t together. Were a joke

Pies and Cats with ageing midfields.
F*** its been set up for them hasnt it. I despise this league but most of all our clubs inability to get its s**t together. Were a joke
I sympathise with your frustration, but I'm not sure what else the club could have done in this case - the principal problem was Tarryn himself, not the club's management of him.

And as for another club - well, he's not there yet

I sympathise with your frustration, but I'm not sure what else the club could have done in this case - the principal problem was Tarryn himself, not the club's management of him.

And as for another club - well, he's not there yet
Tarryn is to blame. Just not naive to think that 6 coaches in 5 years and all the poor decisions weve mad, including being locked in at the bottom of the ladder and giving him a massive contract - its almost like the environment was perfect for him to fall off the rails.

I don't know. We knew of his troubled upbringing but here we are 5 years later and we've solidified our losses. Its just massive s**t luck.

What's the bet that as soon as he goes to another club more claims surface and he'll cop another lengthy ban?

He doesn't seem to be able to change his behaviour no matter what support is around him, I doubt he'll change if left to his own devices for the whole season.

So does anyone know exactly what the situation is here?
  • Tarryn can't be picked up in the mid season draft - that suggests he is still on our list and will be until the end of the year
  • But does that mean we can't use his spot for a rookie upgrade or our own mid season draft pick?
  • And wouldn't that also mean if another team signs him as a free agent we could be entitled to compensation? Same as any free agent?
  • If not (because he is a 'delisted free agent') did the club make a mistake in the 'admin' of how we sacked him, and should have rather said all the same things ('will never play another game for NMFC' etc) but officially retained him for potential compensation purposes?
  • I suppose the other consideration is that any potential contact he is offered in 2025 would likely be so low ($$ and years) that it wouldn't attract compensation anyway
Sorry for my random thoughts 😂. I might have answered my own questions by the end

So does anyone know exactly what the situation is here?
  • Tarryn can't be picked up in the mid season draft - that suggests he is still on our list and will be until the end of the year
  • But does that mean we can't use his spot for a rookie upgrade or our own mid season draft pick?
  • And wouldn't that also mean if another team signs him as a free agent we could be entitled to compensation? Same as any free agent?
  • If not (because he is a 'delisted free agent') did the club make a mistake in the 'admin' of how we sacked him, and should have rather said all the same things ('will never play another game for NMFC' etc) but officially retained him for potential compensation purposes?
  • I suppose the other consideration is that any potential contact he is offered in 2025 would likely be so low ($$ and years) that it wouldn't attract compensation anyway
Sorry for my random thoughts 😂. I might have answered my own questions by the end

Your first point is wrong. He is clearly not still on our list. He can't get picked up in the MSD as he is banned from all football until a couple of months after the MSD.

Your first point is wrong. He is clearly not still on our list. He can't get picked up in the MSD as he is banned from all football until a couple of months after the MSD.
☝️
He would want to be playing to be picked in the MSD and if he actually is “delisted” he isn’t eligible anyway
We would have to submit our team list before the MSD, I’m guessing we would have an open spot plus the Goater and CCJ injuries have opened a couple more

Delisted free agent so no
  • If not (because he is a 'delisted free agent') did the club make a mistake in the 'admin' of how we sacked him, and should have rather said all the same things ('will never play another game for NMFC' etc) but officially retained him for potential compensation purposes??
This is the biggest point of contention here, rightly or wrongly we won’t get anything for him but I do believe unless Tarryn shows the dedication required and stays out of the picture he won’t get picked up again
he’s OOC anyway and most likely delisted, he would be given a Rookie contract or a mid level AFL contract at best, he ain’t getting $750k like he was as no one will want that much cap locked up in that potential train wreck unless he really shows he’s changed
Dunno, 🤷‍♂️ but he’s gone, we move on, I have doubts he will play in 2025 but it’s possible, but a lot will have to change

Remove this Banner Ad

Back