Past #26: Tarryn Thomas [Part III] - 18 week suspension confirmed; ineligible to play in '24 season; NMFC has officially sacked Tarryn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Two things here. He's still got court proceedings hanging over his head and the AFL would need to allow him to re-enter the league.

By the look of a previous article he has a court date of November 21. Which is day 2 of the national draft. With the PSD and Rookie drafts the day after.

The AFL have said they won't permit him back until the proceedings are over.

Even if the court clear him, I don't see how he would be able to go from being cleared to the AFL saying all good to be drafted (even as a rookie) within the span of a day.

This would leave the pathway being as an SSP selection, if and after such time as the AFL clear him to play.

I think the chances of him playing in the AFL in 2025 are remote to the point of being non existent. 2026 maybe, but it would likely require more work than I think he has in him to change.

It is a pity he is a piece of shit person. It really is.

Two things here. He's still got court proceedings hanging over his head and the AFL would need to allow him to re-enter the league.

By the look of a previous article he has a court date of November 21. Which is day 2 of the national draft. With the PSD and Rookie drafts the day after.

The AFL have said they won't permit him back until the proceedings are over.

Even if the court clear him, I don't see how he would be able to go from being cleared to the AFL saying all good to be drafted (even as a rookie) within the span of a day.

This would leave the pathway being as an SSP selection, if and after such time as the AFL clear him to play.

I think the chances of him playing in the AFL in 2025 are remote to the point of being non existent. 2026 maybe, but it would likely require more work than I think he has in him to change.

It is a pity he is a piece of shit person. It really is.
I wonder if he'll be cleared to play amo footy somewhere in 2025? I'm not sure the AFL can keep him from making a living for too long?

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder if he'll be cleared to play amo footy somewhere in 2025? I'm not sure the AFL can keep him from making a living for too long?

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think that the AFL redemption pathway is a pretty well trodden one.

1) keep yourself out of whatever trouble made you lose being in the AFL to start with.
2) play lower league footy without incident
3) come back in on a limited contract (rookie etc)
4) have the media blow their collective load over the arc

As to whether he is cleared to play at any level in 2025, I think that likely hangs on the fate of his court appearance.

I did look it up and the maximum penalty for this use telecommunications service to harass is 5 years in the clink.

Of the potential outcomes for him there is one that sees him unable to play by virtue of incarceration.

Of course the coach with sexual harassment accusations is the first to go for TT.

If he is cleared to play by the AFL he will have approaches from 17 clubs.

He will be cheap in terms of contract and cost nothing in terms of draft or trade capital.

He will be cheap in terms of contract and cost nothing in terms of draft or trade capital.
And? It doesn't make it less funny that it's Ross who has gone the early contact

I think that the AFL redemption pathway is a pretty well trodden one.

1) keep yourself out of whatever trouble made you lose being in the AFL to start with.
2) play lower league footy without incident
3) come back in on a limited contract (rookie etc)
4) have the media blow their collective load over the arc

As to whether he is cleared to play at any level in 2025, I think that likely hangs on the fate of his court appearance.

I did look it up and the maximum penalty for this use telecommunications service to harass is 5 years in the clink.

Of the potential outcomes for him there is one that sees him unable to play by virtue of incarceration.

Earliest he can come back is next seasons MSD after the Court Appearance…
You’d think if he wanted to come back he’d be signing up for Ammos now as it’s too late to be registered for VFL… be training with a VFL side looking to get on a VFL list next year too… keeping fit and showing potential recruiters he’s keeping fit too

Earliest he can come back is next seasons MSD after the Court Appearance…
You’d think if he wanted to come back he’d be signing up for Ammos now as it’s too late to be registered for VFL… be training with a VFL side looking to get on a VFL list next year too… keeping fit and showing potential recruiters he’s keeping fit too
More broadly, it is the AFL’s intent that Mr Thomas will not be approved to play at any level of Australian Football pending the hearing and determination of the charges that have now been brought against him and subject to the outcome of those proceedings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda are remaining tight-lipped about a meeting between the club’s head of player acquisition Graeme Allan and suspended former North Melbourne midfielder Tarryn Thomas.

The Saints told this masthead that “‘Gubby’ [Allan] has a lot of lunches with a lot of people as part of his role” and did not make any comment about whether the club had any interest in reigniting Thomas’s career after Nine reported the catch-up.

Former North Melbourne footballer [PLAYERCARD]Tarryn Thomas[/PLAYERCARD].

Former North Melbourne footballer Tarryn Thomas.Credit: Getty Images

Thomas received an 18-game suspension and the Kangaroos sacked him in February after the AFL integrity unit found him guilty of inappropriate behaviour towards a woman.

He was then charged in May with using a telecommunications service to harass and for breaching a court order with a court hearing set down for November. The AFL banned him from playing at any level until the completion of that hearing.

The AFL said in a statement at the time that “the AFL will specifically not permit Mr Thomas to join the list of any AFL club pending the hearing and determination of the charges that have now been brought against him and subject to the outcome of those proceedings”.

Thomas, 24, showed his talent in 69 games with the Kangaroos before the club decided his off-field actions left them with no choice but to sack him.

Saint's season is nearly over so, in general, they can publicly make moves on players with little risk, but this dude has issues before the court still and the AFL is no chance to agree to his return until that is resolved (and depending on the resolution they might not approve it at all).

Maybe just stick to phone calls to his manager until the court stuff is sorted? Wining and dining him 1 on 1 is, IMO, pathetic.

Seems a little unfair that he could potentially restart his career at another club, and we aren't compensated for his development as a player and the efforts made to rehabilitate him after his indiscretions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #26: Tarryn Thomas [Part III] - 18 week suspension confirmed; ineligible to play in '24 season; NMFC has officially sacked Tarryn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back