Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Averaging 19.5 disposals a game, 4 tackles, 1.45 goals per game and 5 clearances a game since Noble moved him into the midfield.

To put his scoreboard impact into perspective. Bontempelli is the highest scoring midfielder in the league this season at 1.24 goals per game.

Between he and Stephenson, we are going to have 2 x 20+1 midfielders in the league, which is rare.

True, but Wells never liked to take the responsibility of doing it himself, always wanted to give it off to teammates, Thomas has the confidence to do the job himself.

Yeah no doubt at all there.

I didn't like to use them as a comparison with how different they are as footballers but I just can't think of anyone as classy as Wells we have had for quite some time.

True, but Wells never liked to take the responsibility of doing it himself, always wanted to give it off to teammates, Thomas has the confidence to do the job himself.

Wells was good, and that gap in his game is what will make Thomas great. We all wanted Wellsy to finish his work off with more goals, but he seemed to go ‘deer in the headlights’ when in dangerous goal scoring positions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wells was good, and that gap in his game is what will make Thomas great. We all wanted Wellsy to finish his work off with more goals, but he seemed to go ‘deer in the headlights’ when in dangerous goal scoring positions.

Mind you, ironically, my most vivid memory of him taking responsibility was kicking the winning goal from 50m on the boundary line against Carlton at the ‘G; can’t remember if it was 2003 or 2004.

I could be wrong but I reckon Wells just liked to bring his teammates into the game, it was one of his best strengths but he didn’t possess the killer instinct that great players have, like knowing that they could bury a side and would when the opportunity arose, rather than pass it off.

Thomas seems to have the want for responsibility, or rather the instinct to know that he can do it himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kung fu goal suggests otherwise. Slightly Different player types really. Wellsy was more a link man. TT is a more complete footballer. Can get his own ball, can link, can finish, good in the air as well.

The kung fu goal suggests otherwise. Slightly Different player types really. Wellsy was more a link man. TT is a more complete footballer. Can get his own ball, can link, can finish, good in the air as well.

Wells was more than capable of getting his own ball. Personally I think Wells was hamstrung over his career somewhat, injuries curtailed him but we also had a team that insisted on specific roles and had very little support.

I could be wrong but I reckon Wells just liked to bring his teammates into the game, it was one of his best strengths but he didn’t possess the killer instinct that great players have, like knowing that they could bury a side and would when the opportunity arose, rather than pass it off.

Thomas seems to have the want for responsibility, or rather the instinct to know that he can do it himself.

Fair comment, some of Wells best games were when he got angry due to either a stuff up or too much physical attention and just played angry and on instinct - then the killer in him would come out.

His rugby background is such a bonus.

He has the build and attributes of a guy who would be suited to an outside classy type role, which would be fantastic in itself. However, because of his hardness we get the best of both worlds. He tackles, he runs straight lines and he jumps into packs. Then has the absolute polish to finish.

I remember watching those videos from his juniors where he was banging goals from 60m from centre bounce stoppages. We are starting to see some of that stuff translate.

We have something extremely special and I think anyone who has watched us in the last 10 weeks realises it.

Wells was more than capable of getting his own ball. Personally I think Wells was hamstrung over his career somewhat, injuries curtailed him but we also had a team that insisted on specific roles and had very little support.

Fair comment, some of Wells best games were when he got angry due to either a stuff up or too much physical attention and just played angry and on instinct - then the killer in him would come out.

Agree that Wells career was hampered by injury. Iirc Laidly forced him to play through OP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back