#27 Luke Dunstan – retired

Remove this Banner Ad

The proof is in the pudding though now that other rucks around the league don't want to come here out of fear of being 'promised the world, but play for Casey'. An enjoyable bump. Goodwin made the bed by overpromising and is now suffering the consequences. No wonder players aren't wanting to come here.
Of all your strange vendettas this is one of the strangest. The trade period hasn't even started yet and we've never had any problem trading in players and getting the most out of them under Goodwin - actually it's been one of our strengths.

Luke Dunstan choosing to retire doesnt seem to suggest he was unfairly treated. In fact it would be an indication that he knows hes not good enough.

Danster gonna Danster.

Luke Dunstan choosing to retire doesnt seem to suggest he was unfairly treated. In fact it would an indication that he knows hes not good enough.

Danster gonna Danster.
Luke Dunstan was forced into early retirement due to the workplace bullying and neglect inflicted on him by Simon Goodwin. The proof is in the pudding.

Of all your strange vendettas this is one of the strangest. The trade period hasn't even started yet and we've never had any problem trading in players and getting the most out of them under Goodwin - actually it's been one of our strengths.
Well we didn't get the most out of Grundy. And as the media are now saying some players don't want to come here. If we don't get Matt Flynn, that's why.

Players don't want to come to Melbourne because Goodwin over promises. These are facts. You can deal with the facts in any way you wish.

Well we didn't get the most out of Grundy. And as the media are now saying some players don't want to come here. If we don't get Matt Flynn, that's why.

Players don't want to come to Melbourne because Goodwin over promises. These are facts. You can deal with the facts in any way you wish.
Worked out pretty well for Hibbo, Melksham, Ed Langdon, May, Lever, Hunter.

The link was posted in the other main draft board. But it was on 'On the couch'.
Alright I just watched it. He was clearly talking about Melbourne trying to find another ruck. Had nothing to do with Dunstan or other positions. Massive reach from you.

I mean, the ones that have come to Melbourne in recent years that are any good play every week (see Hunter, May, Lever, Langdon).

On the others:
  • Ben Brown: broken and wouldn't get a game for West Coast
  • Luke Dunstan: Inside mid who made the tremendous decision to join a team coming off the flag with the most entrenched inside mid rotation in the league.
  • Brodie Grundy: Max Gawn.
  • Josh Schache: He's Josh Schache.

We'd also hardly be the only team that has players traded in who can't crack the team. Grundy is just the most high profile and he played for two thirds of the season anyway.

If we approached a player who fit an actual need like a key forward they'd know they have a pretty good shot at getting a game.

I'll give you some credit danster. You were absolutely right about the Grundy trade last year. Very odd you are now lamenting our inability to find another ruck to replace him though.

I'll give you some credit danster. You were absolutely right about the Grundy trade last year. Very odd you are now lamenting our inability to find another ruck to replace him though.
Thanks. I don't really care if we don't find another ruck to replace him as I think Verrall is going to be good. But I suspect guys like Koschitzke, Khamis, Chol, Gresham etc. all disregarded Melbourne out of fear of Grundy/Dunstan treatment. This is 100% speculation though :) These 4 players make us better. It makes little interest that we haven't been linked to any of them.

Thanks. I don't really care if we don't find another ruck to replace him as I think Verrall is going to be good. But I suspect guys like Koschitzke, Khamis, Chol, Gresham etc. all disregarded Melbourne out of fear of Grundy/Dunstan treatment. This is 100% speculation though :) These 4 players make us better. It makes little interest that we haven't been linked to any of them.
If we were interested in any of them our name would have been mentioned even if they weren't keen on us. The managers are still going to spruik all the suitors they have. McAdam still seems pretty keen to play for us.

Do you think players are afraid of going to North out of fear of getting the Callum Coleman-Jones treatment? Or Gold Coast out of getting the Mabior Chol treatment, Sydney out of getting the Peter Ladhams treatment, Hawthorn out of getting the Cooper Stephens treatment? You could find players at every club who got traded in and couldn't hack it in the seniors.

If a ruckman doesn't want to come to us then pretty fair enough. Not an area we need to be bolstering clearly.

I imagine that, if we don't get Flynn, it's more likely due to the fact he'd rather be paid more to be West Coast's #1 ruck, as opposed to being paid a minimal wage to be Casey's ruck for the next two years.

Such a non story. Lever, May, Brown, Hunter, Hibberd, Melksham, Langdon have all had plenty of opportunity and most of these blokes won a flag coming here. Grundy was a swing and a miss, but Grundy equally to blame for choosing us when Gawn was always ahead of him. Dunstan is just a bog average player that again, chose to play for a club that had Oliver, Viney, Gus and Trac clearly ahead of him. Such a non story.

Alright I just watched it. He was clearly talking about Melbourne trying to find another ruck. Had nothing to do with Dunstan or other positions. Massive reach from you.

We'd also hardly be the only team that has players traded in who can't crack the team. Grundy is just the most high profile and he played for two thirds of the season anyway.

If we approached a player who fit an actual need like a key forward they'd know they have a pretty good shot at getting a game.
So in other words Danster made it up and clutched at a very big straw.

Not surprised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Facts'

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Didn't anyone hear Dunstan interview on Trade Radio?

Said he was super grateful to come work at a club like Melbourne even though he wasn't given much of an opportunity. No bitterness no nothing and has left on good terms.

So much for old mate saying these players were disgruntled because they were lied to by Goody prior to being picked up 🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't anyone hear Dunstan interview on Trade Radio?

Said he was super grateful to come work at a club like Melbourne even though he wasn't given much of an opportunity. No bitterness no nothing and has left on good terms.

So much for old mate saying these players were disgruntled because they were lied to by Goody prior to being picked up 🤣
Was hoping he'd go nuclear on us James Magner style.

He says he was unlucky not to feature in more Melbourne games at AFL level – five in 2022 and none in 2023 – but ended his time grateful for the opportunity to play for a "good club with a great culture".

"I was extremely fortunate to get in a position to go to Melbourne for two years," Dunstan said.

"I think I was a little bit unlucky. I had a few injuries I’d never had in my career before when I was at Melbourne, and timed them badly. When one of the other mids did go down, I was injured as well, so it didn’t marry up, but that’s football."

He sounds okay with it.

Such a non story. Lever, May, Brown, Hunter, Hibberd, Melksham, Langdon have all had plenty of opportunity and most of these blokes won a flag coming here. Grundy was a swing and a miss, but Grundy equally to blame for choosing us when Gawn was always ahead of him. Dunstan is just a bog average player that again, chose to play for a club that had Oliver, Viney, Gus and Trac clearly ahead of him. Such a non story.
But Grundy was told that he'd be playing majority ruck so that's where the misleading comes in. That's not speculation either, that's what he was told.

But Grundy was told that he'd be playing majority ruck so that's where the misleading comes in. That's not speculation either, that's what he was told.
Bro also came to a club with a dominant ruck... whoops

As Mike Tyson said, everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the face. I think after it became obvious that Grundy could barely cover the field he was too much of a defensive liability to leave Gawn forward.

As Mike Tyson said, everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the face. I think after it became obvious that Grundy could barely cover the field he was too much of a defensive liability to leave Gawn forward.
And don't worry I agree. I was never a Grundy fan. I don't rate him as a player let alone a player to be taking time away from the great Max. But the typical 'getting punched in the mouth' line doesn't apply here. Even in the pre-season games Grundy wasn't playing majority ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back