#27 Luke Dunstan – retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think a team would be lying to crouch if they played him in that role for two thirds of the season before dropping him due to underperformance?
Nah I think that would be fine. Grundy has never been given the solo ruck role though and Dunstan has never really been given a go. This is not to say that I think he deserves to be best 22 but don't you think it's highly unusual for Dunstan to leave stkilda because he wasn't being given a go, only to go to a club where is also isn't being given a go.

Only to go to a club where is also isn't being given a go.
Luke should feel very proud to play for Casey Globetrotters, most weekends they could comfortably handle whatever Saint Kilda have thrown up as their senior side.

The player also needs to take some responsibility - Dunstan would've probably walked into half a dozen battling clubs and be an almost guaranteed start because they had no one else.
He went to the reigning premier with some of the top mids in the game, plus some decent young talent coming through. Can't be too surprised he hasn't seen much action

OMG I can't believe I'm gonna answer earnestly but here goes:

heck this bloke.
The opportunity to play senior football has always been there, he just didn't take it.
What was Goodwin supposed to say to Woewodin a few weeks back?
"Sorry Taj, there's a spot in the midfield now and we know you've been banging the door down but we promised Luke Dunstan a go first!"

The player also needs to take some responsibility - Dunstan would've probably walked into half a dozen battling clubs and be an almost guaranteed start because they had no one else.
He went to the reigning premier with some of the top mids in the game, plus some decent young talent coming through. Can't be too surprised he hasn't seen much action
I never watched that show but did offers from other clubs get mentioned? He could barely get a game at the Saints who had a terrible midfield.

It's just ridiculous to think that a player wouldn't be totally aware of the nature of internal competition for their spot within a club.

I never watched that show but did offers from other clubs get mentioned? He could barely get a game at the Saints who had a terrible midfield.

It's just ridiculous to think that a player wouldn't be totally aware of the nature of internal competition for their spot within a club.
He had another offer, I think from GC, but came here. IIRC his manager said something like “they don’t see you as just a back up, there’s real opportunity to be a starting mid”.

He came because we were Premiers, not because he realistically believed he was better than Oliver, Petracca or Viney. The coaches rate Sparrow higher as 4th option - too bad for him.

He had another offer, I think from GC, but came here. IIRC his manager said something like “they don’t see you as just a back up, there’s real opportunity to be a starting mid”.

He came because we were Premiers, not because he realistically believed he was better than Oliver, Petracca or Viney. The coaches rate Sparrow higher as 4th option - too bad for him.
Probably didn't want to move interstate either.

Its like trying to explain how to drive a car to your dog, just let him enjoy the ride and stick his head out the window every so often

Shame he isn't a orangutan coz thats workable...

Honestly don't see Dunstan getting a gig in the Suns midfield either. He aint in front of Miller, Rowell or Anderson.

Dew and Co should've offered him an ironclad guarantee that he'd play regular senior games if they really wanted him. Like Goody did.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dew and Co should've offered him an ironclad guarantee that he'd play regular senior games if they really wanted him. Like Goody did.

This is why Gold Coast will never be a good club. They never learned the value of blatantly lying to their players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He might be able to get a spot at the Eagles unless they are committed to a youth rebuild and if he has a professional attitude that will help new recruits (a bit like what they did at Melbourne bringing in senior players from other clubs).

He played over 100 games so has done quite well.

This thread bump is epic.

Maybe at the time we thought any of Harmes, Brayshaw, Sparrow and JJ were all out the door soon? Hence he might have a stable position in the side.

They're all still here and Dunstan isn't ever going to get a game ahead of them. Well, maybe JJ actually. But the point is, he's ultimately Dom Tyson MK II. Good at one thing, but a fairly limited player.

What do you want us to do at this point danster168 ? Just give him some games for the sake of it?

This thread bump is epic.

Maybe at the time we thought any of Harmes, Brayshaw, Sparrow and JJ were all out the door soon? Hence he might have a stable position in the side.

They're all still here and Dunstan isn't ever going to get a game ahead of them. Well, maybe JJ actually. But the point is, he's ultimately Dom Tyson MK II. Good at one thing, but a fairly limited player.

What do you want us to do at this point danster168 ? Just give him some games for the sake of it?
I have no issues with not giving Dunstan a game. I have issues with bringing him into the club and pumping up his tyres saying 'we want you go play an important role for us' etc.

And it seems Goodwin did the same thing with Grundy saying he'd be playing majority ruck. Which never happened.

I have no issues with not giving Dunstan a game. I have issues with bringing him into the club and pumping up his tyres saying 'we want you go play an important role for us' etc.

And it seems Goodwin did the same thing with Grundy saying he'd be playing majority ruck. Which never happened.

🤡

Like I pointed out, there's clearly a lot of potential extenuating circumstances with other player movements when it comes to Dunstan.

On Grundy, where is there any evidence whatsoever he was promised the main ruck position?

I'm sure it was floated as an option IF Gawn could perform as a forward, but he hasn't.

Don't bother pointing out the obvious. Old mate has issues stating opinions as facts and doesn't like to consider logic.

Like I pointed out, there's clearly a lot of potential extenuating circumstances with other player movements when it comes to Dunstan.

On Grundy, where is there any evidence whatsoever he was promised the main ruck position?

I'm sure it was floated as an option IF Gawn could perform as a forward, but he hasn't.

"It's different to the DREAM THAT THEY SOLD HIM in the off-season" - Barrett

"He was SOLD that Gawn would play more forward and Grundy would play ruck". - Lloyd.

"The SELL to get Grundy out of Collingwood i.e promising him the ruck role" - Barrett.

"What he was spoken to about and what it's now turned into. The goalposts have changed"- Lloyd

This is as much evidence as you can possibly ask for.

And this isn't their opinion. They're talking about it as fact. As in this is what was said to him.

So if it's happened to Grundy. Which it clearly has. It 100% was misleading to Dunstan.

"It's different to the DREAM THAT THEY SOLD HIM in the off-season" - Barrett

"He was SOLD that Gawn would play more forward and Grundy would play ruck". - Lloyd.

"The SELL to get Grundy out of Collingwood i.e promising him the ruck role" - Barrett.

"What he was spoken to about and what it's now turned into. The goalposts have changed"- Lloyd

This is as much evidence as you can possibly ask for.

And this isn't their opinion. They're talking about it as fact. As in this is what was said to him.

So if it's happened to Grundy. Which it clearly has. It 100% was misleading to Dunstan.

Quotes from two media presenters/commenters? What are their sources? Why are they in any way believable?

Their business is to drum up interest and drama.

Quotes from two media presenters/commenters? What are their sources? Why are they in any way believable?

Their business is to drum up interest and drama.
Dude, come on. credit where credit is due. You asked for proof and I gave it to you. The story was about trading Grundy, not about what he was told in the off-season. So it's not a big story. It's clearly fact. Have you got proof that Grundy was told he would be playing 50/50 or playing mostly forward?

Lloyd and Barrett aren't exactly Kane Cornes who make sweeping comments to make headlines. They don't need to state their sources for well known facts. Nor is it a big story.

Why are you defending Goodwin so strongly?

Dude, come on. credit where credit is due. You asked for proof and I gave it to you. The story was about trading Grundy, not about what he was told in the off-season. So it's not a big story. It's clearly fact. Have you got proof that Grundy was told he would be playing 50/50 or playing mostly forward?

Lloyd and Barrett aren't exactly Kane Cornes who make sweeping comments to make headlines. They don't need to state their sources for well known facts. Nor is it a big story.

Why are you defending Goodwin so strongly?

Because that's not proof? It's the opinion of two talking heads. How is it 'clearly fact'?

I haven't got proof Grundy was told anything (not that I was ever asserting he was). Just like you don't either. It's all complete speculation.

I don't give a s**t about defending Goodwin. I just call it how I see it and how it see it is that it's all just wild speculation.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back